Custom Car Chronicle

Which exhaust and mufflers on a 239 Flathead

Home Forums CCC Forum Which exhaust and mufflers on a 239 Flathead

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

Hey guys, i own a 41 Ford opera Coupe and its a 239cui Flathead inside. I need your help now to figure out which mufflers and exhaust diameter i should use to get an incredible sound 😉

Regards from Germany

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Petes Rod Shop
    Participant

I prefer “reds headers” with straight pipes. I run straight pipes on a full race 239 in a ’36 coupe and the sound is awesome. It is NOT too loud.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

It is a tough question.

A lot will depend on how hopped up your engine is. But the tendency is to go to big on tube size. That said, I would say less than 2″ diameter. 1 7/8″ perhaps.

We have used Smithy’s Mufflers a lot. More than any other muffler at my shop. I really like them and their sound. They are a straight through type muffler, come in different lengths too. Shorter equals louder. I have used the old trick of installing them backwards for a more “hot rod” sound.  They will give a nice tone installed properly and in longer lengths for a custom. They are relatively inexpensive as well.

Hope this helps,

Mitch

Tony
    Participant

But the tendency is to go to big on tube size.

Yes, this is all about fashion and bragging rights, not real performance.

Also, sound does not always equal good performance.

With duals, I would not go bigger than 1 3/4″.

Modified, 1  7/8″

I would also say Smithy’s mufflers.

pkerit
    Participant

You cant go wrong with straight pipes all the way to the bumper.  In 1967 I bought dual tail pipes from JC Whitney  for my 1963 Fairlane and found out they fit my 47 Mercury by swapping ends

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.