Custom Car Chronicle

Wheel Cover Predicament

Home Forums CCC Forum Wheel Cover Predicament

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

After searching for a year, I recently won a nice set of 1973-75 Plymouth Fury wheel covers on Ebay for $36.00.

I want to use them on my ’81 Mercury Zephyr which has Ford 4×4.25″ wheels. The Fury outer rim is too deep for these wheels but the center part comes out with 5 screws. So far, so good.

Now how to attach them? I have a set of ’62 Buick dog dish caps which fit my wheels. I could drill these to attach the Fury centers and that would probably work, if I get all the holes centered, etc.

Then I found a photo of a custom which used the Fury centers on a deep dish mag wheel that looks really nice.   I checked on Craigslist and found 4-lug mags in my size in chrome or aluminum, come up pretty often and cheap since nobody wants them!  I have two sets saved right now.

All I have to do is figure out how they are attached so they can be removed to bolt up the wheels. Any ideas?

7345 Furyzzzzbuick49p

Torchie
    Participant

Maybe use the Caddy sombrero trick of attaching a beauty ring that fits your wheels to the back of the Fury Covers????

Torchie

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Thanks, Torchie. I had thought of that and it should work with my stock wheels.

But when I saw the Buick use the old mags/new centers that would give me deep dish wheels and I really like that look.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Update: I just discovered that builder of the ’49 Buick is Remo Adkins, of Phoenix Rods & Speed. He is located in Cape Coral, FL, about 90 miles down the Gulf coast from me! I gave him a call asked asked how he did it. Remo told me he used old Cragar SST wheels and the trim rings as Torchie suggested, using a locating tab to get them centered. And they just dropped in place.

Here is his website with photos of the Buick build:

http://phoenixrodsandspeed.com/norms-1949-buick.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.