Custom Car Chronicle

What is your favorite Customizing era.

Home Forums CCC Forum What is your favorite Customizing era.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    KingKustoms
    Participant

Great discussion topic and one that has casually entered my mind a few times. It’s like trying to pick my favorite Elvis song- that changes constantly, but I have a top five set that reoccurs.

Giving this some thought, I realized that my kustom styling preferences are based on the car in question. I would say my preferences land mostly in the late ’40s up into about 1953-’54- mainly west coast for automotive restyling. Same for hot rods.

However, I am fascinated by the Auburns, Cords, Duesenbergs, Packards, Lincolns, Cadillacs, and other “already fancy” makes that made their way through the coachbuilders’ shops. My grandfather owned Duesenberg J-426/2452, a Derham-bodied formal town sedan with an open chauffeur’s compartment. He bought it in May of 1947 and sold it in 1951. Seeing pictures of that car as a kid always fascinated me and piqued my interest in coach-built cars, which I consider custom. There are some very valid arguments that can blur the lines between a custom and a coach-built automobile. The article at the link below has an interesting last paragraph explaining how George and Sam Barris had the desire to be listed among the famous coachbuilders of the early 20th century:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/barris/barris.htm

I also really dig late ’50s- early ’60s kustoms and show rods, as well as the Custom Car Caravan that many famous customizers were involved in. Although things did get out of hand with constant changes and additions to compete for show points, I believe there was still a level of creativity that existed.

I think of it this way: the year of the car dictates the time frame in which it can be customized. Obviously you can’t take a later ’50s car and go back in time to build it in an early ’50s style- until today. Another thing to consider- customizers in the ’50s and ’60s were looking toward the future, unlike many of us today who pick an era we like to emulate the styling on our car. They weren’t creating nostalgia- they were creating new trends.

So, I guess I like all of it. Haha

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Wow King..  If I were more articulate I would have said pretty much exactly what you said.  Thanks!

Model cars were a big influence with the big name customizers creating extra custom parts for the various annual kits, so the early ’60s were my first experience with customs.  The resurgence of customs in the ’70s introduced me to the earlier stylings where the aim was to improve and clean up lines and upgrade the less opulent makes to ones that the stylists may have visioned initially.  Of course my friends and I chuckled in the latter ’60s when the “change for the sake of change” spoiled a few of the outstanding cars we were familiar with locally.

To answer the question I suppose it was the late ’50s – early ’60s which I favoured early on, while currently my choice would be the late 40s – early ’50s.  Of course, as most responders have stated, each era has it’s own appeal and good examples will always make us say “that’s my favourite style of custom”.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

KingKustoms
    Participant

Wow King.. If I were more articulate I would have said pretty much exactly what you said. Thanks! Model cars were a big influence with the big name customizers creating extra custom parts for the various annual kits, so the early ’60s were my first experience with customs. The resurgence of customs in the ’70s introduced me to the earlier stylings where the aim was to improve and clean up lines and upgrade the less opulent makes to ones that the stylists may have visioned initially. Of course my friends and I chuckled in the latter ’60s when the “change for the sake of change” spoiled a few of the outstanding cars we were familiar with locally. To answer the question I suppose it was the late ’50s – early ’60s which I favoured early on, while currently my choice would be the late 40s – early ’50s. Of course, as most responders have stated, each era has it’s own appeal and good examples will always make us say “that’s my favourite style of custom”. Dave

Thanks, Dave. Model cars were a huge influence on me as well! I still have a ton of the AMT ’49 Merc kits that I chopped with Xacto knives, nail glue, and green Squadron putty. The weirdest thing is that my interest in building model cars completely dried up over night. I have bought a few in the past five years to try and build but I just can’t get excited over it.

It would be interesting to create a poll on this site based on what people think as far as which kustom best represents a certain era- from the ’40s to the ’60s.

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

David
    Participant

Being a 70’s kid, my first exposure to customs really was custom vans and, strangely enough, a remaining copy of “Here is Your Hobby, Car Customizing” in my elementary school library. My dad had a 51 Merc back in ’57 and started to customize it, so when vans came along, I guess he gravitated towards them as a “family man’s custom” so we had all the van mags in our house. I’d pick up Street Rodder or the old Custom Rodder off the news stand when I’d see a Merc or something on the cover and got the Grease Machines book for Christmas when it came out. By the time Classic and Custom came out, I was a full blow custom kid, thriving on old AMT customizing pieces as I could get them for my models. All that to say, 70’s and 80’s revival customs have a special place I’m my heart…velour interiors, caddy tilt/tele columns and all. Studying them now, most of them seem to take on the flavor of “updated” mid-50’s to early 60’s style. This tends to be the era I really gravitate to most, but naturally, I love all eras of customs. If I were to find a “real” 80’s custom Merc that was known, I’d probably put it back the way it was, but, like my own 90’s Merc, cleaning it up to it’s more “pure” mid 50’s style and my later 50’s “Grapevine” is what I like best.

David Wolk
    Participant

For me it is very hard to pick one era of custom car. I like all eras of customs if they are tasteful (without being cluttered with aftermarket bolt-ons).

My 1st exposure to customs was the August 1977 issue of Street Rodder magazine. I was in grade school at the time, but it drew my attention because I’d never seen a custom car before. That was the turning point for me, I was hooked on custom cars.

In the 1990’s Custom Rodder magazine was the greatest.  I really loved the smooth style of the feature cars and art work.

I’ve never owned a 60’s custom but maybe someday. Not much can compare to a custom 1958 Impala, 1959 El Camino, 1961 Buick/Olds/Pontiac bubble top or a 60’s Rivera.

I think my favorite is a period correct early 50’s custom, but when I see any tasteful period correct custom it really gets my attention.

Kyle Connole
    Participant

I subscribe to the less is more school of thought.  I like clean subtle lines, without a lot of distraction.

Simplicity is elegance.

I’m in the pre-war to mid 50’s camp, after that I lose interest dramatically.

Tony
    Participant

Ditto.

Talbot
    Participant

I really appreciate subtlety and flow, so my preference is pre war to early 50’s.

David Conrad
    Participant

My favorite era is after the war until early 50s. I’m just now finishing a 51 Fleetline mild custom.  Here’s my 36 that has been finish for 5 years. rod and custom 020

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

David, you seem to be able to nail the era you’re building to – spot on! ..So I am curious as to what you’ve done to your Fleetline.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Tinwolf
    Participant

For me easy pick , from when customs had Appletons , whitewall tires , chopped tops , shaved body work until they didnt so from George Barris -41 Buick Roadmaster (-47-48) until Bob Hirohatas Merc (-52-53) , I know , there is a bundle of customs that didnt fit that mold but my favorits were made in that era so …

Also there is customs made after that era I like but they were icons of their era  , The Aztec , Golden Sahara first version , Copper Cart , ofcause several modern builds that fits my favorit era , still this thread was about what is my favorit era so thats stated !

Wolf

David Conrad
    Participant

I’ll get the front end aligned, then put the Lyon caps and skirts on then take some pictures and post them. It’s just a very mild custom.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Talbot
    Participant

^^^Looks great!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.