Custom Car Chronicle

What is your favorite Customizing era.

Home Forums CCC Forum What is your favorite Customizing era.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

While I was in Paris this summer, sitting in the sunlight on a bench in one of the many great parks, waiting for my wife and son to finish doing some shopping. I was thinking about what influenced me in my preference for the early California Custom Car Style from the 1940’s and early 1950’s. Before our trip to Paris I was mailing with Custom Car enthusiast, collection and historian Bruce Heather and had mentioned that he preferred the later style from the late 1950’s and younger. And that the pre late 50’s style was just to old for his liking. This really started to make me think about this all. I just turned 50 years old, I was born in 1967, so all this Custom Restyling was long before I was born. Bruce is in his 70’s, so he was a young kid when his favorite era in Custom Restyling was at its peak. That in a way makes perfect sense why he likes that era so much.

When my interest in Customizing started it was the early 1980’s. Summer vacations to Scandinavia brought me Wheels and Power magazine showing Custom Cars I was not able to see in the Netherlands. Cars that were built in the early 1980’s. Right in the middle of the Custom Car revival, lots of fuzzy dice, pinstriping, wild paint jobs, lake pipes, and rock&billy going on. Most of the cars I liked were inspired I guess by the early 1950’s Customs, but they were “improved” with 80’s styling.

One of the first US books I found that had some Custom Car’s features was a book called Automobile and Culture published in 1981. It shared a couple of very early Custom Car photos from the 1940’s and showed how the Custom Cars slowly progress since then. I was floored by the simple and beautiful lines of these early Customs. And from that moment on I just wanted to know everything I could about these cars and their history. It however took several years from then before I realized it was this book that steered me in the direction of my preference for the early style Custom Cars.

(Below are the two pages of the Automobile and Culture book from 1981 that had the most impact on me. Very small black and white photos I must have started at for hours over the years.)

While the Custom Car revival took place in the 1980’s, mostly in the Mid West and East Coast of the US, I guess that the new custom car builders from this era very often loaned their styling roots from the original California Custom Cars. Most likely inspired by reading their fathers little car magazines.

In the last decade or so my personal favorite Custom Car era has settled to the what I call Early California style Customs. Created from the early 1940’s (sometimes even late 1930’s) to about the mid 1950’s. And mostly created in California, both South and North, and there are some exceptions from other states of course. Styled very much with the less is more approach.

This does not say I do not like any other style or era of Customizing. I love Customizing in all its forms. I have as Jim Skonzakes once told me “I have Customizing in my blood, it flows true my veins.” But my heart starts to pump just a bit faster from cars create in, or styled after, my favorite era of Customizing.

What is your favorite Customizing era, and do you know why?

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

I like the same as you Rik. Post war to early 50’s.

Once it got to the show points thing, the cars just became gaudy and ugly. To me they lost their original purpose.

And I like 1930’s cars.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Growing up through WWII and into the 50s, I too prefer the earlier cars of the 40s especially, but by my teen years I had discovered the little pages and everything Valley Custom did became my favorite.  Early Barris brothers cars, too, and what few of the Ayala customs that made “ink”.  Early Barris styling enhanced the basic automobile forms.  Through car shows came requirements for changes before a particular car was allowed to enter the next year’s show.   Myriad “more is better” excesses resulted, and it started to put me off.  From mild to radical categories, it was the overall flow of design, the integration of styling elements cohesively (and coherently) from bumper to bumper, that I most respected.  Somehow that translated to less is more, simple is stronger in statement, and surprise through subtlety.  In my humble opinion, some iconic cars were victims of change for change’s sake.

Through Rik and the CCC, we are able to expand our views of that early “golden” era of individual statements.  Across America, coast to coast.  Through the sportsters especially, we also are given clinics in the influences of European styling on car culture.  The CCC offers a more broad perspective.

Enthusiasts of the younger generations often follow a path of tribute and emulation of the past.  Example:  Mercury customs with predictable modifications right out of the “little pages”.  No offense meant, they mostly come out beautifully. They preserve what otherwise would be lost to history.  The best offer those subtle “just enough” details that flow so well with the styling statement that they only grab you after you’ve been stopped flat-footed in your tracks.

Imagination and individual statement characterized that early era.  Some, granted, better than others.  But it was that desire to stand out that drove the innovations.  Today, I can’t express how impressive are exemplary younger customizers who “get it”.   Just one case in point, to drive the point home, is that Tom Black Cadillac, designed after a rendering by young Eric Black.

Inspiration out there.  The European coachbuilders.  Styling cues of often forgotten car makes and models. Customs created by our California icons.  And now thanks to Rik Hoving, discoveries of little known creative customs out of the most surprising times and places.  Long live the CCC.

Torchie
    Participant

I have been able to find something to like in all of the custom eras. Although I have not been fond of some of the 80’s revival as to me, many of them tried to cram to many elements onto one car.

The WWII to the early /mid fifties do it for me. While no longer at the toddler stage the custom field was still young enough to be really creative. The cars lent themselves to custom work and it seems that for the most part, that was the era when the giants of custom cars roamed the earth. The people that many of us still look to for inspiration.

As Tony and Larry both mentioned, once it became a points chase a lot of the refined tastefulness was lost. As in many forms of art. The earlier interpretations/creators are the ones that set the standard for those that followed.

I also agree with Larry on the fact that there are many “Younger” customisers out there now that carry the tradition forward. Not only forward. But with a degree of craftsmanship that out does the ones that came before them.

Torchie

Tom Nielsen
    Participant

This is a very interesting topic and I gave it some serious thought.  I even went to the Rik Hoving Custom Car Archives and looked through some photo collections, including my own.  My favorite era of customizing would probably be the early fifties to about 1956 which was a period when I saw all these cool looking “California style” customs from Barris, Valley Custom, Bailon, Gaylord and other shops in the little pages magazines.  I also liked the clean, understated look with subtle body modifications, Appleton spotlights, and rolled and pleated interiors of the mid-fities era. This style was popular in Oregon and Washington too and the Northwest customs that I saw in car shows from 1958 to 1962 are also some of my favorites.

The picture of the Southern California outdoor car show in the Thrifty Drug store parking lot in the fifties has the style of customs that I like the best.

bob tindale
    Participant

There was good and bad from the start up to and including today. I like most early 50’s thru 59 but I’m a big fan of the Alexander Bros and most of their stuff is early to mid 60’s.

kustomland
    Participant

From Harry Westergard beginning when Barris was starting and only up to the Thrifty Drug store parking lot in the fifties.

The pre ww2 36 Ford photo showing CALIFORNIA CUSTOMS is what I basing my 36 off of….. Its not a 3 window I always wanted but 5 windows do make nice customs also.

KUSTOM GRILL, SKIRTS, CALIFORNIA HOLLYWOOD HOOD TRIM, FLIPPER CAPS, KUSTOM 35 CHEVROLET HOOD SIDES, DE SOTO BUMPERS, CALIFORNIA DROP IN THE REAR……

KUSTOMLAND

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Good to hear from you Luke. Was hoping to catch up a bit better when you were here. Baron’s beat up is tomorrow. . . .

My favourite era is the cross over point where coach built passed to garage built. Westergard had the minimalist approach that looks effortless but requires extreme discipline.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Harry  Westergard

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

I was 10 in 1963 when I first discovered custom cars in magazines and car shows.  Customs faded before I was old enough to drive, but came back at just the right time for me. I remember attending the first Lead East and Sled Scene East shows and being astounded at how many of the cars I knew from old magazines were still around and how many new cars were being built.

My initial interest was in the 50s, but has expanded both backwards and forwards. What I like about customs is that they they reflect their times and the people who create them. Doesn’t matter whether it’s smooth and conservative or showy and bold, customs are a window to our art and culture.

I particularly like customs that find new styling cues while remaining faithful to the design ethic of smooth, clean and low. Kind of like the way Impressionist painters created a new way of looking at the world that was different for each painter, but so cohesive that it still works for painters today.

Shanahan
    Participant

I think my favorite era was the early years. I love 35’s and 36’s with a carson top, skirts, motorboat stance- real simple. I do love some of the early 50’s stuff too though, when they started customizing more stuff on the car. I like a lot of little modifications that enhance that natural beauty of the car – stuff the factory should have done to make the car more elegant.

Jack Ripper
    Participant

I have always loved Kustoms and street rods since i was a kid. I’ve had several rods and helped numerous people build theirs. I have a 34 Ply now for a street rod and of course my 41 Buick. I hadn’t planned on buying the Buick but when I saw it it was in such good shape I couldn’t turn it down. That being said I’m not a 41 GM car fan at all. I had it 6 months before I even touched it. It just sat by my garage. I got to thinking that I should make a Kustom the way I remember them from the early books. The things I liked were 54 headlights, dual spots and 59 Caddy tail lights. Having said that it put me at least in the 60s so the early years had some influence but not all. I tell people I jacked the headlights, spots and taillights and drove a 41 Buick under them. I did all the work myself and did it as reasonable as possible. I wanted to tell the kids (anyone under 35) when they come up and say they wished they could afford a car like that they can. I think the influence that the great builders have on anyone is if you have the desire and drive you can build one. The old guard is gone now but anytime someone turns out a new custom or saves one from obscurity for future custom builders to see must make them smile down. I guess I don’t have any special era that i like as I like them all.
    Rik, I am enjoying the beauty of all customs. Jack

When I first saw Gene Winfields Jade Idol in Colorod magazine in the mid seventies I was hoked. My favorit era is “like many of you” post war to early fifties beore it started with show points for every custom trick created.  Early sixties high school customs build on full size cars is also a soft spot for me. I like the clean and subtile look where the customizer makes the body lines come forward instead of hiding them with molded parts all over

Brian Arcella
    Participant

This is a tough topic, was easier picking between dating two good looking girls back in the day but either one of the two cost more in aggravation and money than any car I ever owned….lol

Its  so hard to focus on just one era, for me anyway because just like those old high school flames just when you think you’re dating the prettiest girl in school a new one moves into town and BAM! your eyes start wandering…lol I find staying focused on what you want to build before you start is quite the task because cool covers a pretty broad spectrum in our hobby.

So right now my favorite era would be the mid 50’s which I am attempting to pay tribute to in my 48 coupe build.

What I most appreciate in a custom is subtlety by this i mean making a car look like is should have from the factory, sort of picking up where the stylist left off. Bob Alexander’s Plymouth coupe is a good example when you first look at it first impression is oh a few mods here and there the Merc grille shell and headlights being the biggest Bob-alexander-1948-plymouth (640x251)

Until you compare it to a bone stock version

Blue (640x481)

Then you see how much work and Real styling went into the build

Quentin Hall
    Participant

” pretty broad spectrum”. Sums it up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.