Custom Car Chronicle

The Jim Street Estate. Uncovered Golden Sahara

Home Forums CCC Forum The Jim Street Estate. Uncovered Golden Sahara

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

On November 29th, 2017 Jim Street (Skonzakes) creator and owner of the iconic Golden Sahara passed away. Jim’s wife Sally was able to keep the sad news of Jim’s passing “secret” for quite some time. But in Late November 2018, the rumors of Jim’s passing start spreading the internet. And with that people started to wonder what would happened to his collection, and the mostly the two most famous cars his his fast collection. The Kookie T and the Golden Sahara.

Since then I had many people contact me if I knew anything more about it. But sadly I did not not. Sally had asked to keep everything quite for as long as needed, so that she could deal with her loss, and figure out what the next steps will be.

Recently some rumors about the Golden Sahara being uncovered started to pop up on Social Media, and other message boards. Reports of the car being seen on a trailer going to an auction house stirred up things quite a bit.

It is still unclear what is going to happen to the Golden Sahara, but I do know that it has been moved from the climate controlled garage where it had been sitting all sealed up for that past decades. The covers have been removed, and I have seen some photos of the car taken in the last week or two. Sadly right now I do not have permission to share these photos, or say much about them. As soon as I find out more as to what exactly will happen to the Golden Sahara, or the Kookie T, or if I get permission to share the photos I of course will share them here on the Custom Car Chronicle.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

Thanks Rik.

Wow ! Seeing a current pic of either of these  cars would be like seeing Greta Garbo back in the 70’s. LOL

I, like many I’m sure, are following to see what happens to these 2 Iconic cars.

Keep us posted when you are given the green light….

Torchie

Quentin Hall
    Participant

As far as having an impact on the car scene, I can only think of the Batmobile as being a widely acknowledged.  It will be interesting to see how the ravages of time have impacted on it.  Whoever becomes the custodian of it will need to consider carefully the decision to restore or preserve.

Amazing that a custom car will be revered as a sacred object with a museum curators care.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

First Sneak Peek of the Golden Sahara uncovered in the first quarter of 2018. Hope to be able to show more soon.

The Golden Sahara has been covered and stored in a climate controlled garage for several decades. The interior was protected with a special tarp taped down to the cars belt line (hence the left over tape on the car). This was done to prevent any mice or other critter to get in and do damage to the interior. It looks like it worked.

CCC-Golden-Sahara-Uncovered-01

Tinwolf
    Participant

So the long awaited Golden Sahara will finally see the light of day and enter the spotlight soon , there is hope for the world 🙂 !

Wolf

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Well the cat’s out of the bag…

Ben Blevins posted these

James D
    Participant

That’s much more gold coloured than i thought.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

That’s much more gold coloured than i thought.

It’s the yellowing of the clear over the years that did that. I am surprised how much it yellowed.

Torchie
    Participant

Well that didn’t take long.

This would be  kind of like opening King Tuts tomb to us Custom Freaks…..:)

And the “Kookie T” looks just as fornlorn as can be…….:( Hard to believe that this is what it morphed into.

Not sure that the “Gold coloring isn’t the yellowing effect that was discussed in Riks post on the Sahara’s paint jobs James D. But I agree with you.

Now to wait and see what becomes of these 2 legends of the car world….

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

More photos from Ben Blevins

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

CCC-golden-sahara-II-2018-05

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Kookie T

KingKustoms
    Participant

Unbelievable! Thank you for sharing these pictures with us…it really is like the King Tut tomb of Kustomland 🙂

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

PalleJ
    Participant

we all knew the day would come. i am sorry Jim didnt have the chance to decide what would happen to them. i guess he thought he would live another 10 years, and finnish the restoration he talked about. i should have bought it Rik…if you thinking there is a piece of flakepaint missing on the Kookie…i know why haha..

David
    Participant

What an exciting day. Sad Jim wasn’t here to see it and I wish he could have brought himself to get them out and enjoy the excitement. Also must be a bit of a relief for you Rik and Palle after having seen them years ago but had to keep your experience to yourselves. I look forward to you guys sharing your time with Jim and getting to learn more about him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.