Custom Car Chronicle

Welcome to the CC-Chronicle Forum

Home Forums CCC Forum Welcome to the CC-Chronicle Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    steve moody
    Participant

I would like to post a few words about bodyman john hagen’s merc convertible, it was a medium metallic blue, a favorite color of his maybe a special mix that he painted all his cars, or so he told me. Another point about his craftsmanship and attention to detail was the stainless moulding around the mercury windshield was chopped and then welded together and repolished, these kind of things mattered to him.

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Hi guys I found some flipper caps thanks to paul garland out of Sacramento. He did the mods to make them fit a wide five wheel and it worked perfectly.. now for some chroming

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Respect tradition

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Here is another shot

Attachments:

Respect tradition

Bill
    Participant

I am new here, so I am not certain how to post here and/or where.

We are currently working on the convertible top of our ’47 Ford, and even tho we took pics before disassembling, we now can’t remember which way the rear wood bow is to be turned. In other words, does the tapered edge for the rear bow go down?  We think it does but really need to know for certain.

Thank you. Bill

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Hope this helps Bill

1947-ford-convertible-with-extra-parts-1946-1948-1932-1934-1940-roadster-coupe-7

1947-ford-convertible-with-extra-parts-1946-1948-1932-1934-1940-roadster-coupe-1

1947-ford-convertible-with-extra-parts-1946-1948-1932-1934-1940-roadster-coupe-4

1947-ford-convertible-with-extra-parts-1946-1948-1932-1934-1940-roadster-coupe-5

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

So I got the flipper caps back from Escondido plating and they did a great job. The look I am going for is coming together. I also placed what I believe to be a after market Fenton 41 chrome dash trim. I haven’t been able to find any info on this piece and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Respect tradition

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Those Single Bar Flipper Hubcaps look really great Paul.

As for the dash trim.
    I know that Eastern Auto Supply offered those in their catalog and ads since at least 1949, but most likely already shortly after the car came on the market. I might have seen similar parts being produced and sold by other companies. Not sure about that though.

April 1949 Hot Rod Magazine ad.
    hotrodapril19492

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Thanks so much rik,the caps were a great score from paul garland in sacremento he also did the mods to make them fit the wide five wheel. And the info on the dash trim is reaky great.Now i can put a time frame to this piece. I love the trim it really adds to the interior in a big way.I had to hunt for the clock as my 41 didnt come with one.

Respect tradition

Mike
    Participant

Hello
    I am Mike from Germany and i own a 41 Ford.
    I hope i can get help at this forum and more inspiration

Best regards

Attachments:
    Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Hi Mike .. wow that 41 looks great. Nice stance ! So much inspiration on his site. All the early taildragger pics rik has . Welcome aboard!

Respect tradition

Bob
    Participant

Thank you for the site.  I’m looking forward to being part of the community!

Bob

Roger Grotewold
    Participant

This is really an interesting site, Rik.  Being an old guy of 81, I have been a custom car enthusiast my whole life.  I originally was raised in a small rural town in Iowa.  Through the years I finally ended up living in Southern California in Lake Arrowhead, CA.  I always wanted to live in the hot rodding and custom car area of the USA.

It is very interesting that folks from the Netherlands seem to have such an active interest in the era of the 40’s and 50’s in our car culture.  In Southern California it has become a real active period for folks of the Latino culture to keep that period active in our lives.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Welcome Roger.
    Glad to hear you like the CCC.
    Grotewold sure sounds like a Dutch Name? Any ancestors over here?

Rodney Liefman
    Participant

Hi Rik, I just read your very interesting & informative article on the Matranga Merc.

I have a 1940 Ford Deluxe Tudor (rare car in Australia) which allegedly has had a life as a drag car in the mid 50’s (boasts a ’56 Buick 322 under the hood and the remnants of a 1956 Indianapolis Entrants sticker on the side rear window). It was also alleged it had become a show car probably in the early sixties, although the only evidence of this is black naugahyde diamond patterned & silver buttoned upholstery and chromed garnish moulding around the windows. The body is in ‘original’ condition ie scratches, dings, slight rust spots & that sought after patina so many try to emulate nowadays.

Everybody tells me not to paint or restore the old girl, however I have spend a fair bit of money to get it roadworthy and running smoothly. My wife likes it, but is reluctant to ride in it so I endeavoured to sell it, to no avail.

I have always liked customs,(the missus does as well ) though never owned a full on one. Whilst reading your article about the roof chop on the Matranga Merc,  I got the idea of chopping the roof and turning the look into a tail dragger with a sloping roof by giving it a similar profile to the Matranga Merc.

I’d love to hear your views as well as any other person on this forum.

Rod Liefman

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Hello Rodney

I love late 30’s early 40’s Sedans done as Customs. Sadly we do not see them done like that very much, so your idea is very exciting. Perhaps you can best start a new thread on this project… I have a few ideas, but they will get buried here in on the welcome thread over time.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.