Custom Car Chronicle

Welcome to the CC-Chronicle Forum

Home Forums CCC Forum Welcome to the CC-Chronicle Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    Richard Robertson
    Participant

“Does any one reproduce the National Flipper Caps? I would like to acquire a set for my 46 ford, if available.” Not sure if there is anybody making them at the moment. Some people have attempted to reproduce them, but somehow it looks like those venture never lasted long. I would guess there would be a good market for them with all the early style Custom Cars being built in recent years. There is a bit more into on these flipper caps in THIS CCC-Thread.

Thanks Rik! I read the thread, and then your article: https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-history/early-flipper-hubcaps/

They were both very informative. Judging by the pictures, having the flipper caps on my 46 may not be period correct. All of the examples were of older cars.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Judging by the pictures, having the flipper caps on my 46 may not be period correct. All of the examples were of older cars.

Richard, 46-48 Fords still had single bar flippers. Even Jerry Quesnel had flipper hubcaps on his 1949 Mercury in 1951!

HERE is a folder with photos of 46-48 Ford from the 40’s and 50’s… and there are still plenty that use the flipper hubcaps. Of course the more smoother hubcaps became popular especially after Cadillac came out with the Sombrero in late 1946. But the flipper remained popular till late in the 1940’s.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Hi guys my name Is Paul and I am in San Diego . Been a follower of rik and his site for a long time. I love kustoms and all that comes with them . My ride is a 41 ford coupe , Appleton spots, lowered, rear skirts, flathead engine, fat wide whites and soon to have national flippers and chrome dash piece that’s an original 41 add on. As you can tell I am into the late 40s very early 50s style kustoms. Can’t wait to see what’s on here..

The 41 Fords make outstanding customs, Paul, especially the business coups. Yours looks great with the little you have already done! Does any one reproduce the National Flipper Caps? I would like to acquire a set for my 46 ford, if available.

Hi Richard . Thanks for the kind words about my 41.. I love the fat fords of that era. About the flipper caps . I did contact one guy in CA who was repopping then but he stopped until he had more of a demand and I haven’t seen or heard from him since. I looked all over the net and Instagram is where I found my set

Respect tradition

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I am Mitch, Mildmitch. I have been a member of the forum for some time, though never posted and only lurked in the shadows!

I have a small Hot Rod and Custom shop in Northern California. Currently trying to get my 1941 Buick Special Sedanette together and on the road. Though the normal setbacks and customer projects seem to keep that from happening. This is a mild early forties style car. Simple and drivable.

Although I had been aware of Rik’s Website and archive and all the work he has done to preserve and promote traditional customs, I stumbled upon this forum looking for 4 doors turned to 2 door customs. It was Quentin’s Caddy and the photoshop work by Rik that brought me here!

Anyway, I’m here and exposed now. I will also post this in the regular forum area as well.

Thanks Rik, this is a great group of like minded lunatics, that I enjoy and learn from everyday.

Mildmitch

mike Folchetti
    Participant

Thanks Rik!

Juan Ramirez
    Participant

Thank you for adding me to the forum.  My name is Juan, co-founder of ChevyBombs.com. I own a ’47 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan I am currently restoring.  In addition of having the passion of old Chevy bomb cars/trucks, I enjoy customs as well.  In fact, I just made a set of Appleton 552 custom green/white swirl grips and switches for a friend that has the clone Barris Hirohata Merc.  I look forward learning from this group.  Take care.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Welcome Mike and Juan.
    Hope you are going to have a good time here.

Any pictures of those Laminated knobs.. I assume those are for John D’Agostino’s Doug Thompson built clone?

Juan Ramirez
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll find some photos. Owner is out of Arkansas if I recall.

Juan Ramirez
    Participant

Juan Ramirez
    Participant

Juan Ramirez
    Participant

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Beautiful…. I guess those are for DrDave’s (Myers) 51 Merc.

Juan Ramirez
    Participant

That’s the one! Dr. Dave is great people. I made him another set but in purple/lavender swirl for another car he has. Thanks.

Thomas Taylor
    Participant

Kind of late with a into,

always lurking but thought I’d get round to it

my name is Thomas Currently in Richmond, Va

just about to really get rolling on building my 1949 Chevrolet coupe

will try and start a thread shortly!

Cheers

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    C. W.
    Participant

Howdy. ?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.