Custom Car Chronicle

Valley Custom Shop Tool history

Home Forums CCC Forum Valley Custom Shop Tool history

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Rod Emory (family from the famous Custom Car builder that ran the Valley Custom Shop in Burbank, Ca.) shared this really neat story on his facebook. Thought I would share it here for those who have missed it.

After 70 years this 36” inch hammer goes full circle.
    Rod Emory’s grandfather had a custom car shop in Burbank, California from 1948 to 1961, the Valley Custom Shop. They were some of the pioneers in channeling and sectioning Custom Cars, but they did it all with hand-tools except for they had a CP riveter converted to a planishing-hammer in the shop.
    This is it!

In 1961 Rod’s grandfather Neil Emory sold Valley Custom Shop and went to work for Chick Iverson Volkswagen/Porsche in Newport Beach to run the body shop. At that point the hammer left his hands. It went on to live with craftsman like Mel Swain, Mickey Thompson, Walden Speedshop, Bill Collins and others. Thanks to Detmer Metalshaping connected Rod Emory to Hombre Verde, who owned the hammer. Rod was able to acquire it from him and took it back to the Emory Shop.

According to Rod “I can’t even begin to describe the feeling I have knowing that this hammer is back in the family. My grandfather shared so many tips, tricks, and skills with me growing up and to have his hammer in the shop is such an honor. My dad Gary Emory remembers this hammer in the shop when he was a kid. I will keep this in the Emory family forever!”

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

Congratulations on being reunited with a family member……:)

Back where it belongs.

Torchie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.