Custom Car Chronicle

trim

Home Forums CCC Forum trim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jack Ripper
    Participant

I’d like to know if you could form these trim pieces to the inside of a 41 Buick trunk. There off a 61 Ford T-bird. The shape of the trunk lid is about the same as any coupe of the era. They seem to be what I call pot metal. I don’t want to ruin one to find out. Maybe there’s someone who might have something similar. Thanks in advance, Jack.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Ripper
    Participant

I was hoping that someone might had tried something like I described. So I’m going to ask any pro builders out there if they have. I know you do a lot of modificationsĀ  with stainless and chrome trim on the out side of cars so have any of you tried this? Just a simple yes or no will do.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I can’t imagine, if it is pot metal, that it can be bent. And if it could I would think it would destroy the chrome plating which is not bendable.

Jack Ripper
    Participant

Thank you,I was wondering about that.

Tinwolf
    Participant

Hi !

I have “welded” in potmetal with some success and it has a very short interval between solid and melting , this makes any bending quite difficult to pinpoint the exact temperature when the material is moving without cracking or turning into a puddle on the floor . I can only guess partly because its material characteristic , partly because its cast , I have not tried to heat-bend cast steel eitherĀ ?

The pros can be seen making custom trim in brass bars or stainless steel or regular steel , grinding , filing , polishing and chroming but that is something completely different and time consuming .

A variant for the Thunderbird trunk-trims would be to make a mold cast off in silicon off the original trim , bend theĀ moldĀ and then cast in resin , then sandĀ , polish and chrome the plastic , abit Micky mouse but possible , the next step would be to take the bent plastic trim to make aĀ castoffĀ mold and cast in ? brass / Potmetal or something .

Not my place to questionĀ but inside the trunk lid isĀ a very obscure space to put that much work into , I guess we are talking a -41 Buick full customĀ car that is best appreciated closed , who is going to seeĀ itĀ ? Thinking of the HirohataĀ that hadĀ one of the few tricked out trunk spaces maybe the space above the rear axle could use some trim highlights like these trims on a tucknrolled wall to hide the back of the rear seat rest .

Wolf

Jack Ripper
    Participant

You’re right about opening the hood or trunk at a show. It dose ruin the lines. It was just a thought so it’s no big deal. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.