Custom Car Chronicle

Traditional custom interior, let me know your thoughts.

Home Forums CCC Forum Traditional custom interior, let me know your thoughts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Wolk
    Participant

Hello, I’m interested in your ideas for an early 1950’s traditional custom interior.

I’m building a 1950 Merc custom car. (Sorry I don’t have any photos to post right now). I’ve chopped the car, flush fit 51 Merc skirts, Wide whites, Cadi Sombreros and an early Cadillac motor painted gold with chrome accessories. I’m painting the car a medium to dark shade of muted blue solid color. The dash is an art deco Cadillac that will be body color, an ivory Merc accessory steering wheel and chrome 1951 Merc automatic steering column. The window garnish molding will be chrome. There are many subtle changes to the car, but nothing on the car that you can see is newer than 1952.

I am struggling with the interior style and colors, so I’m interested in your thoughts.

I’m thinking a traditional 2 tone vinyl. Similar style to Terry Hegman’s blue 1951 Merc, for anyone that knows his car. But I’m thinking either Ivory with Black inserts, or Black with Ivory insert color combination. I really like the insert color also being used as welting on seat edge and black carpet with ivory piping and ivory heel pads.

Terry Hegman 1951 Mercury interior.

I’m open to Ideas as long as the car has an early custom look to it. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks David

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I added some photos of Terry’s Mercury to your post to illustrate your question…

I love Terry’s interior. But how about using just one color. It sound that your styling for the Mercury is really classic. And yes a two tone will work and will look very good. But I really love the interior in this 1940 Mercury. I guess a different color will work better for you though. To me this is a real classic comfortable look.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Sounds like a nice car, Terrys merc interior is great.
    Any pictures of the cad mill ?

David Wolk
    Participant

Rik, I hadn’t thought about one color interior. Maybe, are you thinking Ivory?

Jeff, thanks, I forgot to mention your interior Looks great! Post a picture of it so other see it.
    I’ll try to add a picture of the motor color. Thanks David

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David Wolk
    Participant

Here is a photo of the front clip in a guide coat. I will block it once more before painting the final time. It is hard to tell the actual color, but you should get an idea of it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Wow , the cad looks great David. I really like that color of blue. I actually wanted to go dark blue years ago before I saw Terrys when he first painted it. Looks great keep up the good work. I CANT WAIT to REpaint my car.
    Which manifold are you gonna run on the cad mill ?

Jerry Ferrier
    Participant

Looks like a fantastic start. I love your plans for the interior but the example Rik had shown does have a very classy, rich look to it. Good luck and be sure to post some progress pics!

Wanted: SBC Hildebrandt valve covers, '55 Cadillac trim

David Wolk
    Participant

Jeff, I plan to run the 1952 cadi 4bbl intake and small base wcfb. Hopefully a trouble free setup. I put a lot of miles on my cars. I’ll post more photos when I get everything back from the chrome shop. Thanks David

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.