Custom Car Chronicle

Torchies new project

Home Forums CCC Forum Torchies new project

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 961 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

Trolls

In the world we live in I’m surprised your’re still allowed to do that. Isn’t it , you know, Trollist?

Torchie
    Participant

Trolls

In the world we live in Iā€™m surprised yourā€™re still allowed to do that. Isnā€™t it , you know, Trollist?

Tony. I had a weak moments thought of posting Michu’s and Tinwolf’s Pictures of my Dodge over on that other site asking, “Does anyone have any info on this old Dodge custom.” But my better angels told me not too…..LOL

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

Yes, that would be cruel.

You could ask for information about “this old gasser.”

Michu
    Participant

I’m glad you all like it! And Wolf’s Versions are very good looking too, it looks great with or without skirts.
    I’m curious what grill you will choose for it!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Experiencing some technical issues… several plugins have been updated and now it seems I cannot edit a comment. As in adding the thumbnail pictures as full size pictures. When I do, it seems the whole post disappears… Will have to wait for plugin updates to get that fixed.

One post from Torchie got deleted… but I do have the original text versions.

On the dash issue , I would stick with the stock dash and appriciate it for what it is , a neat design of the era , ditch the wood grain and if I could imagine a -49 Dodge being built as a full custom in -50-51 when twotone was getting into fashion possibly two tone the dash to brake it up and accentuate the shapes of the dash . Maybe not even two different colors , just two different shades of the same color could make it pop !! only my two cents ā€¦ Wolf Skirts added ā€¦

Thanks Wolf. I appreciate your comments and the skirts as well. All of my ast customs have had skirts. The last truck I did I wanted to be able to run it with or with out skirts. I would like this car to be able to do that as well.

In both this picture and the one that Rik did way back when you may notice the lack of spotlights. I like that as well.

I still think some sort of custom grill is in order and I will most likely french in the stock headlight rings as well. Other then that this is getting to be spot on.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Torchie

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Torchie wrote:

Iā€™m glad you all like it! And Wolfā€™s Versions are very good looking too, it looks great with or without skirts. Iā€™m curious what grill you will choose for it!

Michu.

My plans for the front end at this point include modifying the hood front corners. Like shown in the first picture. Then creating a new grill opening and using a 1953 Dodge grill as a sort of floating bar. See the 2 and 3 picture. The grill in the first picture is a modified 1950 Dodge grill that I had thought about.

I’m a ways away from that and I will most likely change my mind yet again before the time comes. LOL

Thanks again.

Torchie

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Michu
    Participant

Good plan for the grill! …of course i know how it is about changing the mind on plans, it’s the same with me šŸ˜‰

Torchie
    Participant

Ok Gang.

The photshop Pictures from Michu and Tinwolf have opened up the old custom can of worms…

Skirts or no skirts and WHAT!!!! No spotlights.

Like my custom truck I want to be able to go either with skirts or not. Most likely I will have to build the skirts as the few 1949 Dodge skirts I see don’t really work for me. So with all the other work I have to do They may have to wait.

I’m torn on the spotlights. I think this car looks cleaner with out them. I realize that at first glance my Dodge doesn’t seem to be all that custom.LOL But I would think that the chop and section alone make it somewhat radical. Maybe I should call it the “sleeper” custom.

Lets hear some thoughts about the skirts and spots.

Thanks all.

Torchie

p.s. One other thing about the skirts. Way back at the beginning of this thread I did a mock up with skirts. To get them to look right I have to add a filler piece to the bottom rear of the rear fender asĀ  is on a different plane then the front bottom. The Pic Rik did shows it better then I can explain it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tinwolf
    Participant

“the old custom can of wormsā€¦”

“Lets hear some thoughts about the skirts and spots”

I like trad kustoms like the Barris and Ayalas built in the fourties and the early fifties , the golden era of customs when George Barris layed down the law with his carsontopped -41 Buick Roadmaster that had lowerd suspension , skirts , shaved moulded body , different bumpers and hubcaps , whitewalls , Appletons , custom grill ……… there is a basic recipe with endless possibilitys of variations , a car might have come from the factory all practical and pretty , all of that is for the restorers to save , for me customs needs to be all out , and there was a long line of customs built in that era by that recipe and they all came out unique . To me driprails needs to come off , it is part of the basic recipe of shaving the body , it needs skirts , it looks naked without , it needs to speedboat low stance that customs had back then , a sleak chopped top and Appletons being the sprinkle on top … you asked and I gave my two centsĀ  šŸ™‚ Ā !!

Wolf

David Conrad
    Participant

You’ve got the right ideas.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Skirts without a doubt for me spots I could go either way. I think it looks fine without them but would look sharp with them.

Tony
    Participant

I may be the only person in the custom world who thinks this, but I don’t like spots.

There, the Emperor has no clothes!

Torchie
    Participant

Tinwolf. Thanks for your reply. I respect your opinion and I don’t disagree with you on any of the points you made. I’m starting to look at this one as perhaps it was done later in the 50’s Like say 55-57. In 55 it would have been a 6 year old used car that was affordable for some young guy to customize. At that point trends were changing as seen in such Customs as Ina Mae Overton’s second edition of her Valley Built Lincoln custom. No skirts or spots. Still a custom, yet different from what came before it.

Ian. I dig skirts but I think that they will be problematic on this car due to the rear fender shape.Ā  I’ve got a picture of the skirt mock up I did some where, still in the poster board and If i can find it i will post it to show what I mean about the rear fender bottom issue.

David. I’ve got lots of ideas.LOL . Probably too many.

Tony. LOL. Spots have there place but I’m not sure it’s on this one. The lines on this Dodge turned out even better then I thought they would. Not sure that I want to break the flow.

Thanks for the responses.

At some point we will get tires and talk about white wall width’s. Oh Mama…..

Torchie

p.s. I found the skirt mock up pics.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Personally I would try and take the skirt straight across the top around of the fender to the back and try and figure out a way to attach it at the fender to body line. Excuse the terrible editing but something like this.InkedIMG_4505_LI

Torchie
    Participant

I hear you , custom cars are a personal expression of once taste . I picked a certain era which I love and my first encounter with a custom was in 1980 when I saw Bosio Buick so until then I was deprived of custom cars in my surroundings during my upbringing , thatā€™s probably the reason why my -40-early50ties era intrest in customs are picked rather then lived . The revival era of the eighties I was apart of alittle bit at the end 1989 when I finished a chopped and lowerd -51 Merc coupe , frenched lights and Desotogrill and bubbleskirts ā€¦ but that was the dark ages as far as information flow , very hard to find information about the early builds , now its just acouple of mouse clicks away (thanks Rik) , my intrest has been refined over the years as more and more information of the early years in the car manufactures dreamcar builds , the coachbuilds and the custom car builds has been available , I see the patterns , the basic recipes and from where builders drew there inspirations . Its going to be your custom car when its done , your taste and ideas shown off , it needs to be something you love and enjoy ā€¦ best of luck with your Dodge custom car ! Wolf

Thanks Wolf.

I remember the even darker years of the late 60’s through the 70’s when very few seemed to care about customs.Ā  I would go to the Detroit Autorama every year in hopes of seeing at least one or two legit customs. I met George Barris there in around 1978. I went with two of the guys from the body shop were I worked. We showed up in our shop uniforms smelling like automotive paint.LOLĀ  Mr BarrisĀ  was there at a display with literally no one paying attention to him. When he saw us approach his eyes lit up.(Kindred spirits). I spent almost an hour talking to him. He never once used the word “I’ it was alway “We”. As in “we did this to that car.” We discussed His Brother Sam’s Buick as I had one of the same and was considering chopping it. When I brought this up Mr Barris smiled and said. ” Ohh. Sam Did a lot of work to that car.”

When he autographed a picture for me( And no, He didn’t charge for it) He asked how I spelled my first name. When I told him Karl with a K he smiled again and said”We like the letter K.”

I was lucky in that a neighbors father had a huge collection of what is now known as the “Little Pages” Magazines. Those where my “Internet.’LOL

Customizing is truly about individualism. I suspect that’s one of the draws for me. I have always built the way I see things which sometimes puts me ahead of the pack. And other times way behind. LOL

Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 961 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.