Custom Car Chronicle

Torchies new project

Home Forums CCC Forum Torchies new project

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 961 total)
  • Author
    Torchie
    Participant

A QUESTION. When did the trend to put tonneau covers over the back seat of custom cars start? Was there still a back seat under there? Was this just a West Coast Thing? I’m thinking about this for the Dodge. Thanks for any replies. Torchie

Not sure when it started, but I have seen samples of it from the early 1950’s. The one I’m thing about is a 1949 Mercury convertible, that had a padded top, and also a tonneau cover over the rear seat. As far as I know there was a rear seat, but perhaps some used it to cover the fact they did not have a rear seat done…. yet.

Thanks Rik.

What few pictures I’ve seen to really show very much. Hard to tell if there is a Bump in back where the cover might go over the back seat top. As I don’t have any seats in mine this my be a good alternative to having to find a back seat as well as all that’s involved with reupholstering it.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Getting closer to the time when I can get back to work on my Custom.

We talked a lot about grills. Lets turn our attention to Tail lights.

These pics show the stock 49 Dodge coronet tail lights. I’m looking for some thing more custom that I could French in.

Any and all ideas are appreciated but please, no tunneled 59 Caddy tail lights. I love the caddy tail lights but way too over done .

The rear fender sear will be removed( I have thought about the 51 Ford Lights with the windbreak moulded in) as well as the gas cap and trunk handle and plate trim. And with no skirts or spot lights I am getting into the mid 50’s style of customs with a morebsportier look and less of the speed boat stance look

Thanks as always.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Shoebox Ford taillights including the wind-split will definitely look good on the car.

The wind-split will help further with the longer lines of the car from the sectioning.

Another option I can see is also using a wind-split but then with more round taillights. perhaps a bit like what Paul Bragg did on his Sectioned Shoebox. (Pontiac taillights, I think, in reshaped wind-splits)

Low mounted (just above the rear bumper) 1950 Chrysler taillights will make it look very classic.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

Shoebox Ford taillights including the wind-split will definitely look good on the car. The wind-split will help further with the longer lines of the car from the sectioning. Another option I can see is also using a wind-split but then with more round taillights. perhaps a bit like what Paul Bragg did on his Sectioned Shoebox. (Pontiac taillights, I think, in reshaped wind-splits) Low mounted (just above the rear bumper) 1950 Chrysler taillights will make it look very classic.

Agreed on the windsplits giving more length Rik. One of the reasons they came to my mind as well..

I would pick up the line from the trim on the front fender/door and continue it back . I would probably shorten them a bit as well.

I dig Bragg’s sectioned shoebox but not 100 percent sold on tail lights. ( I know Who am I to critique Mr Bragg.LOL)

The 50 Chrysler tail lights are nice but I think I like the shape of the 50 Dodge Coronet better. Kind of like a Cathedral window shape.

Thanks for the input Rik.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Do you have the stock lights? I wonder what they might look like turned on their side and mounted to line up with the front fender spear. Shape may be way off to fit the fender that way. Or even just the stock lens on it’s side frenched in like the Wally Welch Merc was with the stock Merc taillight.

Torchie
    Participant

No stock tail lights Ian so it’s kind of a blank canvas.

I like the idea of a tail light that would be horizontal to the bumper and curve around the fender.

I may just end up making my own lenses as I have experience working with acrylic and shaping things.

My first hobby was doing lapidary work so shaping a lens would be no big deal. Lol

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Got back out in the shop.

Did a quick tack job on the PS front fender and hung it on the car.

Dragged the hood out from behind the boat project. Looked at the damage to the nose from a deer hit. I will have to cut out that brace to get at t from the inside. That’s for another day.

Set the hood on the car . PS fits alright. DS not so much. A long way to go.

Shop is a bloody mess and I am going to spend some time out there every day to get it and me back in shape. Wrestling with the fender an hood nearly did me in.

Way too long of a layoff……

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Torchie,

I’ll second (or 3rd) Ric’s Shoebox windsplits and lenses. Perhaps a little sunk into the windsplit to achieve the mid fifties idea…

Mitch

Torchie
    Participant

Perhaps not as exciting as the GSII grand unveiling or the Detroit Autorama….

Pulled out the trunk lid. It will be the next piece of the puzzle to go under the knife.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Tail lights solved!!!

Received this package today from a dear friend.

49-50 Merc tail lights.

Plus a set of frenching/tunneling buckets.

I’ll have to figure out how to use the buckets as I have always made my own….:)

These are going to be perfect.

A grateful Torchie.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Oh yeah that will be nice. Will you create some sort of wind-split on the rear fenders a la Shoebox Ford, but then a bit more subtile?

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

Oh yeah that will be nice. Will you create some sort of wind-split on the rear fenders a la Shoebox Ford, but then a bit more subtile?

I suspect there will be Rik.

For sure there will be a bit of sculpting around the opening as I don’t  I’m going to mount everything flush to the body/fender.More like a subtle peaked line that starts some where on the rear fender and ends up surrounding the light.

With out any stainless trim on the back fender or quarters a little bit of a line will help tp break all that area up I think.

Got to get back at it first…LOL

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Quick and dirty section on the trunk lid.

Some rust issues to deal with on the corners of the inner framing.But I need warmer weather to deal with that. So nothing is welded back together.

And in the “More of the stuff that no one ever talks about” category…..

The inner framing will need a lot of reworking to  look correct. I left the stock latch mounting in place for now until I’m sure what I’m going todo with it.

Fits pretty well.

PS door next.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Started the section on the PS door.

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Happy Birthday, Torchie!  Cheers!!

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 961 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.