Custom Car Chronicle

Torchies new project

Home Forums CCC Forum Torchies new project

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 961 total)
  • Author
    Torchie
    Participant

And the two for comparisons.
    Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I think I like the Plymouth grille better, but Perhaps I would make a few changes. I would keep the lower chrome bar of the stock Plymouth grille that sits inside the grille opening and let that rest on the splash pan. That will optically reduces the height of the grille, making it look more sectioned, just as the rest of the body. This will also mean that the grille bar will have to be moved up a bit, which I think will look better as well.

Also… have you thought about a ’54 Dodge grille? I came across one looking for something else. It already has a sectioned look to it, compared to the ’50 unit.  Not sure if it will be an improvement. (sorry no time for a Photoshop at the moment.) And I’m not sure how hard it will be to take out the metal pieces around the parking lights, and make the center “bullet” look a bit better.  Still think the Plymouth grille might be a better option though.

1954-Dodge

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

No worries on the photoshop Rik. Hopefull you are busy in a good way.

I begining to think that there isn’t a grill from 1949 to 1954 That I haven’t looked at…LOl

I think what I like about the 50 Dodge grill and the 50 Plymouth grill is the fact that the upper chrome piece is straight and not curved like the 54 Dodge. And if I have to redo that center section I not sure it’s going to be any easier then redoing the center of the 50 Dodge grill.

I guess my concern about the 54 is how the curved upper piece would look with the reworked hood  shape.

From what I can tell from the pics that I have looked at, the 50 Plymouth grill would take the least amount of work to make it fit and it looks good to.

I know that may sound like a cop out to some out there but it’s not like I don’t have enough to do on this beast already…LOL

Plus It seems to me that for the time frame I’m shooting for on the car ( nothing past 1954) that the style was still to use a stock grill, perhaps from a different make, and make some mods to make it fit.

Thanks as always for your input….

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

But I’ve got to say that I do like the look of that 54 Dodge front bumper Rik…LOL

They have a 52-53 Merc vibe going for them.

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Just my $.02.

I prefer the simplicity of the first choice on your comparison photos here. But honestly, I am confused as to which year these all are. I can’t keep up!

My thought was to incorporate parking/turn signals into the pointy ends like some of the old customs had. Barris et al.

Mitch

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I like the Plymouth. Has a bit of a Cadillac look to it while still being obvious that it isn’t.

Torchie
    Participant

Just my $.02. I prefer the simplicity of the first choice on your comparison photos here. But honestly, I am confused as to which year these all are. I can’t keep up! My thought was to incorporate parking/turn signals into the pointy ends like some of the old customs had. Barris et al. Mitch

I like the Plymouth. Has a bit of a Cadillac look to it while still being obvious that it isn’t.

Don’t feel bad Mitch. You are not alone…LOL . Just wait till we start to talk about tail lights……:)

The stock 49 Dodge grill really looks like a Cadillac grill Ian. Just a bit too busy.

Here we go for clarification purposes…

First pc is a slightly modified 1950 Plymouth grill

Second picture is a heavily modified 1950 Dodge grill.

Third picture is a stock 1954 Dodge grill which in my mind look a bit like a combination of the other two grills. This on might work with no modifications at all.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

I believe that I am going to go with the 50 Plymouth grill.  I like the clean simple lines. Even if I don’t reshape the hood front.( Which I plan on doing.)

I have feelers out for one and have had some responses.

Her is a picture of a stock one on a chopped Plymouth. I will decided what if all of it I’m going to use once I get it.

Thanks for all the input.

Torchie

p.s. Picture courtesy of the internet.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Good choice, Torchie.  “Keep thinkin’, Butch.  That’s what you’re good at!” (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, 1968)

Torchie
    Participant

Good choice, Torchie. “Keep thinkin’, Butch. That’s what you’re good at!” (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, 1968)

LOL….

Fun filled film triva fact Larry. That movie was supposed to star Newman with Steve McQueen in the Sundance kid roll but the two of them could not agree on who got top billing so the roll went to Redford.

Keep on thinking…..

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Shop time this afternoon.

Laid out and cut the PS front fender. Cuts went pretty well so it will be interesting to see how thing look next week after the much postponed 2nd cataract surgery.

Maybe some welding tomorrow.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Looking good and I think the grill choice is a good one as well. It will look sharp.

Torchie
    Participant

Looking good and I think the grill choice is a good one as well. It will look sharp.

Thanks Ian.

Yet another day of being snowed in so I am listing parts to sell on various sites to raise the money to buy the grill.

I have leads on a couple of them already.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

A QUESTION.

When did the trend to put tonneau covers over the back seat of custom cars start?

Was there still a back seat under there?

Was this just a West Coast Thing?

I’m thinking about this for the Dodge.

Thanks for any replies.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

A QUESTION. When did the trend to put tonneau covers over the back seat of custom cars start? Was there still a back seat under there? Was this just a West Coast Thing? I’m thinking about this for the Dodge. Thanks for any replies. Torchie

Not sure when it started, but I have seen samples of it from the early 1950’s. The one I’m thing about is a 1949 Mercury convertible, that had a padded top, and also a tonneau cover over the rear seat. As far as I know there was a rear seat, but perhaps some used it to cover the fact they did not have a rear seat done…. yet.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 961 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.