Custom Car Chronicle

Torchies new project

Home Forums CCC Forum Torchies new project

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 961 total)
  • Author
    Torchie
    Participant

The Classic Tuxedo (Black and white) interior would work too Ian.

Not sure I’m sold on the contrasting piping though.

Torchie

Paul
    Participant

Hi Torchie , good to see your still hard at it . Sorry to hear about your current medical maladies .

This project is looking real good !!   Beautiful car that .   I’ve recently got my Bel-Air up n running …just got chrome and upholstery to go really ….then back into my F1 pickup …here’s a couple pics

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Torchie
    Participant

Hey Paul.

Good to hear from you.

Glad to see you’ll be getting back to the truck.

Hopefully things will go quicker for me once the eye surgery is over.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Just a bit of an update.

Had the first cataract surgery and all went well.

Second one is to be in 2 weeks. I hope to be back working on the Dodge and the wooden boat by mid February.

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Good to hear your doing well Torchie!

M

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Hooray!  Torchie, Harold Olsen will have nothing on us.

From one with not one, but two! glass lenses.

Torchie
    Participant

A little progress..

Got out to the shop now that our really frigid temps are done .

Stripped parts of the PS front fender preparing to section it.

These fenders are still the “seamed” type but most of that seam will go away once sectioned. The last pics shows the lower part of the fender sticking way out past the upper part. I don’t recall the DS being this far out. The trim piece hides this seam.

Second cataract surgery was postponed until mid Feb due to the weather.

That’s it for now.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Just so you don’t think I’m just sitting around in my jammies waiting for my next eye surgery…

I’ve been tossing around grill ideas with some friends on another site and this was a photo shopped version of a reworked 50 Dodge grill. I dig it  a lot but removing that center piece and fabing the peaks is probably way out of my wheel house.

I will be redoing the front area of the hood like the picture. I will also be frenching in the headlights.

Maybe the 50 Plymouth grill is a better starting point. Cleaner lines and I should be able to just cut it down as compared to having to make new bars. I would lose the lower bar and parking lights. Move the rest down and more or less center the single remaining bar.

Thoughts???

Photoshop courtesy of Dr, Crankenstein.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I think the ’50 Plymouth grille will be a much better option. As you say with the parking lights removed and the lower bar as well, and perhaps making a few more strategic cuts to reduce the height, it will work really well. Possibly keep the lower bar inside the opening. Or perhaps even an turned upside down top bar as a lower piece might work… But then you need to find two grilles.

Hmmm… that Plymouth bumper looks interesting as well!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

I agree Rik. It would be a lot less work.

The very top piece of chrome that outlines the upper opening is separate from the grill. So I could find just that part and flip it open to form the bottom of the opening. OR…

Just form the a lip around the opening with tubing and Mould it in and paint it the body color ala 49-51 Mercs. It would then be a single bar style grill.

I though about those bumpers as well. I have to check for width as the Plymouth was a smaller car then the Dodge. The Dodge and the Desoto where the same body shell I believe.

But i do like the looks of that modified 50 Dodge grill……

To many options.LOL

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

My two cents:  Looking at the Dodge grille bar versus the Plymouth.  They look of the same general dimensions, except at their tips.  If you were to use the Plymouth bar, and trim it at each end, to slip inside the Dodge tips, in line with the perimeter of the opening, the seam would hardly be noticeable, and you essentially would have the look of the Dodge grille without the center piece.  I also like retaining the upper Dodge lip piece; it narrows the opening more than the mouth of the Plymouth; somehow a more integrated, custom look to my eye.  Just sayin’  That modified Dodge grille in your photoshop image above is “bitchin'”!

Torchie
    Participant

All two cents are always welcomed Larry..

I like your idea of the possibility of combining the two grills.

The 50 Dodge grill is made up of about 6 pieces that all fit together. Not sure on the Plymouth but they seem to be a bit more prevalent as I believe they had higher production models.

I dig the photo shopped Dodge grill as well. Definately not something you would see everyday. ‘Bitchen” is the word. When he photoshopped it he reduced the height of the grill opening 3 inches to match the amount I sectioned so it does give the opening a narrower  look..

I have seen just the bars with the ends for sale as well as just the parking light trim.

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Another idea to save the photoshop Dodge idea.  If you could find two Dodge upper surround pieces:  The center sections of those pieces could be spliced into the center of each of the floating bars where the big centerpiece now resides.  That would require re-chroming, but…  Bob’s yer uncle!

Torchie
    Participant

I thought about that already Larry. That upper surround piece is actually two sections as well, seamed right in the middle. But after looking at pics of that piece I think the profile is very different then the grill bars.

Keep thinking. I like the trading of thoughts and ideas……

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Ok gang. Here is the quick photoshoped version with the 5o Plymouth grill.

Still has the Plymouth bumper as well but slightly thinned this time.

This one would be much easier to make using a stock grill as a starting point.

It’s hard to find straight full on front pictures but Crankenstein found one of a already chopped car. So he just added in the section and grill mods.

Plus he said the scale is a bit off making the grill look wider then it should. But you get the idea.

As always. All comments appreciated.

Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 961 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.