Custom Car Chronicle

Torchies new project

Home Forums CCC Forum Torchies new project

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 961 total)
  • Author
    Torchie
    Participant

Since I’m not going to be able to afford the Golden Sahara II I thought that I would start a new project.

Bit of a wreck but then so am I…….:)

1949 Dodge Coronet. 2 door sedan. Really just a shell. No interior or Dash. And missing one rear fender. My local junk yard is supposed to have 2 of these in it so hopefully I will have a local spot for parts. As my budget is really tight I will be using some of the left over parts from my last build. I still have a re chromed 49 Plymouth rear bumper as well as a pair of spots. And a set of 1950 Oldsmobile wheel covers.

My thoughts are to chop it. Come up with a grill and smooth everything out. The vision is still forming.

I will have it home on Wednesday. I don’t know how fast the progress will be as I am still working on my Brother -in -laws Chris Craft. I will be bouncing back and forth between the two.

Last 2 pics shows what a stocker should look like…..:)

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Cool! Glad to see you on too something new! I look forward to seeing progress no matter how slow. šŸ™‚

Torchie
    Participant

Thanks Ian.

I’m itching to get started.

Torchie

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Hey should be a very cool ride get her home give her a bath, your plan sounds likeĀ a good one what are you going to do for power?

Torchie
    Participant

Not sure yet Brian. But I do know of an early Hemi……:)

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Got the heap home today. I guess that compared to what I started with on the last one,this one is a gem….:)

Took a little effort to get it up on the trailer as the PS front drum is frozen as well as having a flat.

Used the old tried and true “Tie it to a tree and pull out the trailer” method to unload it.

I have found a 1950 Dodge Coronet 4 door for sale near by that may be a good donor for my build. I will check that out in a few days.

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

Yes, you need that project…to keep you out of trouble. šŸ˜‰

Torchie
    Participant

Yes, you need that projectā€¦to keep you out of trouble. ?

LOL Thanks Tony.

Like the wooden boat restoration isn’t enough already….:)

Torchie

Larry Pointer
    Participant

So happy to see you starting this project, Torchie.Ā  Nothing like a project.Ā  Keeps your juices flowing.Ā  Interferes with hearing, when spoken to (won’t go further there, dangerous ground).Ā  Interferes with sleep patterns (but the little grey cells are most active then).Ā  Disrupts regularly scheduled programming. Helps you monitor healing, of cuts, abasions, bruises, etc.Ā  Tests your problem solving, cognitive skills.Ā  Hones your language, expletive vocabulary.

Puts a smile on your face.Ā  What more can we ask?

Shanahan
    Participant

I’m looking forward to this build Torchie! We just picked up a 1950 Plymouth for my ol lady. It’s a pretty similar body style, but doesn’t have the cool slanted posts like yours.

Torchie
    Participant

So happy to see you starting this project, Torchie. Nothing like a project. Keeps your juices flowing. Interferes with hearing, when spoken to (wonā€™t go further there, dangerous ground). Interferes with sleep patterns (but the little grey cells are most active then). Disrupts regularly scheduled programming. Helps you monitor healing, of cuts, abasions, bruises, etc. Tests your problem solving, cognitive skills. Hones your language, expletive vocabulary. Puts a smile on your face. What more can we ask?

You know it Larry. I need a diversion from all the sawdust as well…..:)

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

Iā€™m looking forward to this build Torchie! We just picked up a 1950 Plymouth for my ol lady. Itā€™s a pretty similar body style, but doesnā€™t have the cool slanted posts like yours.

The Dodges were “Pre customised”as far as the pillars go. Not so much for the rest of it though……:)

There ia good chance that some one from my family had something to do with the building of this car as they all worked at Dodge main in Hamtramck Mi around this era. So I guess this car is coming full circle.

Torchie

David
    Participant

Good night….what a project with the boat!! Oh my!!

Happy for you to be back into a car project. Two words for the Dodge….Sonny Dayout. šŸ˜€

Torchie
    Participant

Good nightā€¦.what a project with the boat!! Oh my!! Happy for you to be back into a car project. Two words for the Dodgeā€¦.Sonny Dayout. ?

LOL. Yeah. The boat……

Flipping it over was the easy part. I had to remove around 2000 screws holding on the bottom planking. One at a time.

It”s getting all new bottom frames and that curved laminated piece will get shaped to replace the lower transom bow that is rotted out.

Makes the car look like a walk in the park…..:)

Sonny’s car is one of the ones that I have taken a hard look at David. There are more of these being customised now then back in the day I think, but there are a few cool examples to learn from.

Torchie

Torchie
    Participant

I must confess to being hesitant abut posting this build on the CCC.Ā  This site shows some of the most beautiful customs that are being built or have been built and here I am with this kind of homely Dodge that looks like it belongs at the crushers.

Be that as it may….

After doing my boat work this morning I started to clean out the Dodge to see what I’ve gotten myself into.

I am pleasantly surprised at the overall condition. At least on the passenger side. Door bottom good. Trunk lid bottom good. Floors better then I thought they would be. Rocker good and solid.

Even the steering wheel and horn ring are in good shape.

And like the slanted pillars, the trunk lid is also pre customised with a recessed area for the license plate….:)

All in all I’m “Cautiously optimistic” as my Drs. would say…..:)

Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 961 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.