Custom Car Chronicle

The San Diego 41 ford

Home Forums CCC Forum The San Diego 41 ford

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Talbot
    Participant

Apart from the other subtle touches, I’m really digging the chrome dash insert. It is the most. Shift knob is pretty cool also.

The color of my dash insert is ‘grand dads hearing aide brown’  It is the least.

I’d go chrome, but it might glare a bit on an open car.

I’m looking for some 41/42 wagon bumpers. Not holding my breath.

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

I find that the chrome dash doesn’t glare at all while driving . The piece is so nice to have. It came with a clock space so I had to find and original clock . I did and it winds up and runs and keeps good time

Respect tradition

Paul, could you give me the dimensions of your clock?  Geez, read that carefully!

My Merc now has an electric clock which I have been told will NOT work with 12V and must be rebuilt by someone in the gauge industry.  Apparently a voltage drop won’t do the job..?

Anyway, I thought I might track down a wind-up one and perhaps swap out the face..  since the wind-up in my Chevy works great!

Thanks!

p.s. Is your clock a “twelve hour”?

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

GrantMaclean
    Participant

Hey Paul.

As you know I bloody love your car, so Good!

Thought I’d put my two cents in on the chop, I know you’ve decided against it and That’s Good!

I agree with the others, It’s hard to improve on the original shape. But it is possible!

Personally I think these cars look their best when they are chopped. No drip rails, and new sail panels made to flow into the deckikid better. I feel that when most people chop them they leave too much of a gap between the rear window and deckikid creating proportions that make it look like an Aussie ute.

I feel that the very best chop was created by the Ayalas on the Jack Stewart Ford. Second best being the snooky Janich Ford.

Problem is though those style chops only work if the rest of the car is heavily modified. Molded fenders and grille treatment etc.

So to conclude, in my opinion There’s no in between, keep it a nice elegant mild custom, or go full on and build a killer full custom!

There’s my opinion, It’s not a very popular one and I know it doesn’t mean much, but you got it anyway.

Killer car no matter what you do to it mate!!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Grant-Hill-Tile-02-2017

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

images (5)images (3)I need one of those plaques of Grant wisdom for the window sill in my toilet. There’s a space between the Jesus painting and the toilet roll doll.

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Hey Dave. The wind up is better than the electrical. No hassle with voltage etc. just remember to wind it up . I will get you the dimensions . It is a twelve hour clock.  It’s an original ford piece that came with the super deluxe model. It fit perfectly into the whole cut away in the trim.

Respect tradition

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Grant thanks for the response and awesome advice.  And thanks rik for grants words of wisdom .. all of which I have taken seriously . It’s a hard move to go from stock lines to kustom lines,especially on a short door coupe that has beautiful roof lines from the factory.  To run your hands over those lines and feel and see the flow of that roof into the trunk makes you think that the guys at ford had a touch of kustom in there blood. Grant you are correct , the Ayala’s and the jack Stewart ford as well as snookys ford had the quintessential chop, no doubt. Now if I decide to chop it, it’s finding the correct craftsman to do the job.. that’s part of the hard decision making process . Putting your money on the right person for the job. For the time being I have decided to shave the trunk and hood, shorten the side trim and shave the indicator lights on the right and left front fenders. Smooth the car out and lessen the trim in the right places. I will also lay new carpet as it has the vinyl matting on the floor( not a kustom look at all)?.. I have entered the GNRS suede palace and waiting to hear back if I was accepted. Got to get the old girl out there now. Just had the new Fenton headers and dual exhaust complete , straight piped.. wow what a sound. Flathead rumble is the best

Respect tradition

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Off to a show last Saturday.

Respect tradition

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

And the dual exhaust

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Respect tradition

A custom’s sound for sure!  Sweet, just like the car.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

GrantMaclean
    Participant

Man I realy Can’t wait to see all the subtle changes come together.

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

A custom’s sound for sure! Sweet, just like the car. Dave

It is for sure.. the fentons are great headers with a awesome sound. The dual pipes are a kustom  must. The flathead breaths better too

Respect tradition

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Man I realy Can’t wait to see all the subtle changes come together.

i have the vision now the execution. Doing some interior work next week. I will keep you posted

Respect tradition

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

So I had some kustom dash knobs made by numnob in Hawaii. I wanted it classy and Art Deco to match the interior  and the time frame of kustom I am looking for. I went with a nice ivory with a cream swirl. No flake or sparkle as it’s not that era. So here are the knobs . So what do you guys think?

Respect tradition

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.