Custom Car Chronicle

The Keith Ashley Collection

Home Forums CCC Forum The Keith Ashley Collection

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I have been in contact with Keith Ashley for a long time. I got in touch with him on the Internet when I was trying to find out more about the beautiful improved recreation of the Larry Ernst  1951 Chevy he had created. In the past he had already shared some really great info and photos with me, which have all been shared on my websites and on social media. After Keith sold his Larry Ernst recreation last year he decided to let go of some of his collection and donated some really great material to the Custom Car Chronicle.

Earlier this week I received a wonderful package from Keith with some really neat photos dating back to around 1957, when Keith started to visit the cars shows and had access to a camera up till he switched to a digital camera. I will be sharing this collection of photos – in total random order –  here on the CCC, with an introduction article on the main site (soon) and with the majority of the photos here on the Forum. Hope you will enjoy them…

Thank you very much Keith Ashley.

IG-Yerry-Yachht-Keith-Ashley-1957-01

IG-Keith-Ashley-Collection-01

IG-Keith-Ashley-Collection-02

IG-Doug-Thompson-00

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Exciting news.  Can’t express appreciation enough to Keith for his generous sharing.  And to Rik for creating this CCC site for all of us hoplessly hooked enthusiasts on traditional custom cars.  Kudos!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Oakland….

Keith-Ashley-Collection-021-W

Keith-Ashley-Collection-022-w

Keith-Ashley-Collection-023-W

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I’d also like to thank Mr. Ashley and Rik for all their generosity!

I was at the “Oakland Roadster Show” (actually at the Cow Palace, San Francisco) when his Larry Earnst chevy rolled in on setup day.

To say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement! It was truly a moving experience watching and hearing that car enter the building! I have always loved that car, the original and recreation. In fact years before I’d found a ’51 Belair to build my own. That never happened. But so happy I was able to see Mr. Ashley’s recreation.

Thank you for sharing everything!

Mild Mitch

Torchie
    Participant

Great to see this collection going into the right hands.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Thank you Mr Ashley and Rik Hoving.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Bill Whitmore 1949 Ford photographed at the Toledo Custom Show in 1957.

IG-Shoebox-1957-Keith-Ashley-01

Keith-Ashley-Collection-015-w

Keith-Ashley-Collection-014-w

Keith-Ashley-Collection-016-W

Joe Wilhelm

Keith-Ashley-Collection-012-W

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Three more photos of Bill Whitmore 1949 Ford at the Toledo Custom Show in 1957.
    Very well proportioned custom restyled by Bill in his home garage, doing all the body work himself. Bill was around 20 years old, and learned how to do body work along the way. Check out the cut rear bumper with integrated license plate lights, reminds me about the rear bumper George Barris created for the Jack Stewart Ford. The last photo shows the car in 1956, before the two tone paint. Bill’s Ford really has all the right lines, and great stance.

IG-Bill Whitmore 1949 Ford-02-Keith

IG-Bill Whitmore 1949 Ford-03-Keith

IG-Bill Whitmore 1949 Ford-04-Keith

Torchie
    Participant

I’m not a huge “Shoe box” fan as I prefer the GM cars of this era But I really like this one.

Notice not only the rear bumper but the tail lights as well. It appears they he painted the indents on the tail lights the body color, effectively making the wind splits look longer. Neat idea.

Plus, This car shows what some one that has the desire and determination can do. Built it yourself and learn something along the way.

I wonder if it’s still around.

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    KingKustoms
    Participant

Awesome pictures…thanks for sharing!

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Two more of the Jerry Yatch’s 1940 Mercury convertible.

This picture was taken around 1956.

IG-Yerry-Yachht-Keith-Ashley-1957-02

And this one around 1977

IG-Yerry-Yacht-Keith-Ashley-1977-01

Torchie
    Participant

Thank Goodness Keith had the foresight to keep all these great pictures. Wish I could say the same for myself.

I really like that Panoramic rear window.
    Torchie

David
    Participant

Great stuff! Thanks Keith for sharing them with Rik and Rik for taking the time to share them with us!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Ernie Szelesi 1933 Ford, a great mix of Hot Rodding & Customizing photographed by Keith Ashley in 1957, ’58 and ’60.

IG-Keith-Ashley-Ernie Szelesi 1933 Ford-01

IG-Keith-Ashley-Ernie Szelesi 1933 Ford-02

IG-Keith-Ashley-Ernie Szelesi 1933 Ford-03

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

IG-Keith-Ashley-King-T

IG-Keith-Ashley-dream-Boat-Merc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.