Custom Car Chronicle

The Harry Loveland 46to64 Collection

Home Forums CCC Forum The Harry Loveland 46to64 Collection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Ross Ruiz recently made a trip to So Cal to visit the Santa Maria Cruising nationals and go digging into the Custom Car History meeting the people he has been tracking down as part of his 46-to-64 Custom Car History search.

All words by Ross Ruiz, make sure to follow Ross on Instagram.

“About 2 years ago I first heard about Harry Loveland. Rich Rackemann from the Lynwood Road Tramps CC told me about a classmate and of his from the 1950’s who used to work at Gaylord’s upholstery shop, his name is Harry. I’ve had a defunct phone number for Harry for a while, no answer every time I called. So when I Visited Rich this week he says, “You know Harry still lives in the same house he grew up in during the 1950’s in Lynwood? His family has owned that house since the 30’s or 40’s!” After hearing that from Rich I knew the next day I had to go knock on his door. I didn’t know what to expect going up to his house as a total stranger, so I threw my Junior’s house of color shirt on and said “Hey is Harry here!?” A guy said “I’m Harry what do you want?” I said “You worked for Gaylord’s in the 50’s I have a present for you.” I gave Harry a copy of motor life September 1956 with the Sal Mammano Buick on the cover which was built at Gaylord’s and he says to me “This was the first car I ever Upholstered, I was 14 or 15 years old, I was working on it Thanksgiving Day, my mom brought me a turkey sandwich to the shop!” Harry’s wife Punki spoke up and said “My son Billy builds motorcycles, he goes by Bling.” I said “Your son is Blings Cycles!? I know about him!” After that wild coincidence Harry Invited me inside and pulled out a bunch of photos and artifacts from his past. An extremely amazing experience I will never forget, stay tuned for photos of Harry’s work from the 1950’s “

“In 1959/60 after receiving a fresh Larry Watson paint job, Jim Skonzakes brought the Kookie T over to Harry Loveland’s house for a full upholstery job in button tufted white pearl. While Jim was waiting to pick it up Harry stashed the Kookie T in his grandmas garage which was next door to his house in Lynwood. ”

Harry-Loveland-Kookie-T-05Harry-Loveland-Kookie-T-06

“In 1959/60 after Larry Watson painted the Kookie T for Jim Skonzakes, it ended up in Harry Loveland’s driveway in Lynwood for a full button tufted pearl white interior. These color shots really show how good Harry was with the needle!”

Harry-Loveland-Kookie-T-02Harry-Loveland-Kookie-T-01Harry-Loveland-Kookie-T-03Harry-Loveland-Kookie-T-04

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

“In 1959/60 after Larry Watson got done painting the Golden Sahara hauler for Jim Skonzakes, it ended up in Harry Loveland’s driveway in Lynwood for a full upholstery job! Harry did it in white & gold. “

Harry-Loveland-Golden-Sahara-Hauler-01

Harry-Loveland-Golden-Sahara-Hauler-02Harry-Loveland-Golden-Sahara-Hauler-03

“Not only did Harry Loveland upholster the Kookie T and the Golden Sahara hauler for Jim Skonzakes, he also upholstered the matching boat interior! Notice the back door airbrushing on the trailer and the Cobra on the boat fin. This was a 21’ Chris Craft Cobra, that explains the snake! This was taken in 1960 at Harry’s driveway In Lynwood! “

Harry-Loveland-Golden-Cobra-01Harry-Loveland-Golden-Cobra-02Harry-Loveland-Golden-Cobra-03

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

“In the late 50’s very early 60’s Harry Loveland Upholstered this 32 3 window. I asked Harry who owned it he said “This was Art Lehner’s coupe out of Hollydale he owned Art Chrome shop! I Upholstered that in my driveway!” It was so wild because literally 30 minutes before I met Harry I was with @colormelacquer at the shop where this car was built!!!!!! What are the chances! I believe these photos were taken in 59 or 61 due to the white tabs.”

Harry-Loveland-32-Ford-Coupe-06

Harry-Loveland-32-Ford-Coupe-03Harry-Loveland-32-Ford-Coupe-02Harry-Loveland-32-Ford-Coupe-04

Harry-Loveland-32-Ford-Coupe-01

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.