Custom Car Chronicle

the Craig Wise 40-41 Ford PU Project – Custom / Hot Rod

Home Forums CCC Forum the Craig Wise 40-41 Ford PU Project – Custom / Hot Rod

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Craig Wise
    Participant

I bought this 1940-41 Ford Pickup in 1988, drove it for about 3 years with the Flathead engine, in 1991 my oldest son Gary & I took it apart down to the frame, it was just going to be a nice restoration on this ol’hot rod pick’em up truck. Things got a little out of hand, chassis totally rebuilt with Mustang II front susp, Ford 9″ rearend, FI 283 Chevy engine, 700R trans, we chopped the top 2″, frenched ’41 Studebaker taillights, smoothed original front & rear bumpers, 49 Chevy license guard and the list goes on & on. I’m building this truck as a tribute to the old Custom Car builders and Hot Rod Racers I knew when I was young and growing up in Bell California…….it was a GREAT place to live!
    The PU is still not finished! BUT we’re getting closer!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Craig Wise
    Participant

A few build photos of my PU.

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thanks for showing your amazing Ford Pick Up here Craig.
    I really love that car. And these photos do not really do the car the way it looks now.. or will look in the near future any justice. The level of detail on this car is amazing.
    Really nice the see the in progress photos.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Craig Wise
    Participant

We cleaned the top tube of the tailgate up by adding spring loaded latch pins the go into the bed post holes, also used telescoping rods to hold tailgate in the down position.

Attachments:
    Craig Wise
    Participant

As a teenager I remember going to Custom Car shows at Parks & High Schools, I really liked the 39-40 Fords, and the ones that had the “boat shaped” taillights I thought looked the best! So that’s what I had to have of this build, I thought my PU fenders had the same curve as did the 39-40 coupes & sedans…..WRONG, so we had to french these taillights to make’em fit.
    Stay tuned………….cw.

Attachments:
    Craig Wise
    Participant

We filled the original gauge panel in so I can use “Winged” SW gauges.
    Also, I had about 100 holes in the firewall that had to be welded closed.

Attachments:
    Craig Wise
    Participant

The cab looked good before it was media blasted with plastic & aluminum beads, after it was cleaned all the rusty spots showed up. I had to replace all four corners of the cab, they had to be hand formed back then, now you can buy them already made up.

Attachments:
    Tony
    Participant

Interesting to see the frenched tail light mounting. What are you using for buckets/reflectors? I am mounting mine on the surface but as I only had lenses and trim to work with I’ve made the buckets/lampholder etc.myself. I’ve bench tested them and must say, I’ve got much more light out of them than stock – or 38/9 Fords for that matter. They are very delicate trim around those lights!

Craig Wise
    Participant

We updated the 40 Chassis for safety concerns. We put a Mustang II up front, 9″ Ford rearend with ’97 Ford Explore with disc brakes and a nice E-Brake set-up, now I have disc on all 4 corners. My engine is a 1965 283 SBC with a 1960-61 Rochester FI unit and a 700R Trans. Not fast but safe!

Attachments:
    Craig Wise
    Participant

a few more of the FI 283. Mock up of the WWII War Bird air scoop for a air filter box……….

Attachments:
    PalleJ
    Participant

Hi Craig..like Rik said. the pictures dont give the car the justice it deserves. it looks fantastic IRL
    i forgot what color it was..i think you told me it was a custom blended!? am I right!
    i love that cremy brown color!
    say hello to Sally & Jack from me!
    -palle

Cousin Eric
    Participant

And who dosent like a chopped pick up!! Way bitchin!

A little off topic but is that a chopped and hardtopped chevy in the first pic of the second post in front of your truck?

Craig Wise
    Participant

A few photos of the “Glide Seat Frame” and our new 2″ lower seat riser. I skinned the seat riser with aluminum and added lots of rivets, engine turning & speed holes………

Attachments:
    Craig Wise
    Participant

Here’s the upholstery and the seat end plates I made to cover the hinges on the Glide Seat.

Attachments:
    Craig Wise
    Participant

A few more photos of the fiberglass & aluminum end plates………

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.