Custom Car Chronicle

The Color of the SoCalif Plating 1935 Ford

Home Forums CCC Forum The Color of the SoCalif Plating 1935 Ford

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

Well, while I would also agree that I wish the car has been a different shade, I will counter that while in this time we might would consider this shade not the most attractive, I think it’s important to remember the time. Certainly, brighter and deeper colors existed, but also, drab colors were in style in fashion and design. So, I think it is possible to Kustomland’s point, after all the work and effort, certainly George would have wanted a color on the car he was proud of…..and I can’t say given the style at the time, that he would have been unsatisfied with this one. My ’30 Model A is very drab (both colors have drab in the name actually) and I would have never considered drab colors to my liking, but I have to say, the A is quite attractive in them.

WG
    Participant

Great discussion , it’s interesting when viewing black & white photos to see how pale or dark colours appear versus known colours , eg whitewall tyres ,black & chrome & even licence plate colours.  Possibly interesting to look at black & white photos of known 1930s factory car green colours & compare to the SoCal plating Ford.  Any possibility of any colour pics of the racing cars survive ?  Also interesting to compare black & white photos of all the SoCal plating vehicles , trucks & racers !

Tony
    Participant

1940 Ford dashes were metallic.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

BD70F4C4-92E1-4246-9AFE-484C2C1E2898

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Here is an older SoCalif. Plating truck that was mentioned to have the same color as the 1935 Ford.

The only real reference I could find so far are the license plates. On the ’33 California plates the yellow/orange numbers/letters have a somewhat similar shade as the paint on the car.

So-Cal-Plating-License-Plate

Below: The photos below are taken around 1938… possibly this 1936 based So Calif. Plating car had the same color as the older shop cars. The yellow license plate from 1938 is painted a brighter yellow than all other years, but the contrast between the plate and the paint a quite big. These photos were taken in the dark with a flashlight, so I’m sure this has some effect to the difference in color.  It does appear that the paint on the car is rather dark, but again, the flashlight might have an effect on this.

So-Cal-Plating-License-Plates-02

I also created this black and white and color image to show what these Olive colors look in black and white.

Olives-Black-White-Color

And two photos of the Midget supposedly painted the same color as the delivery/tow cars.

Leanard-De-Bell-Midget-01

Leanard-De-Bell-Midget-02

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

Comparing mono to colour is hard. Notice the wooden bowl looks the same as the olives in the mono version? An example of how hard it is to reverse engineer colours from mono images.

Carry on…:)

WG
    Participant

Comparing mono to colour is hard. Notice the wooden bowl looks the same as the olives in the mono version? An example of how hard it is to reverse engineer colours from mono images. Carry on…:)

Although ,if you know from a few sources that the colour is eg pale green , it helps somewhat  🙂

Tony
    Participant

Thats an interesting thought Tony, when I first read that the SoCalif. plating Ford was painted Sea Foam Green, the first thought was Hirohata Merc… or even closer the color used on the Doug Thompson, Jack Walker clone.

Rik, I asked and he said it was the seafoam green.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.