Custom Car Chronicle

The Aztec going to Auction in Jan

Home Forums CCC Forum The Aztec going to Auction in Jan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Didn’t see anything mentioned here so though I would post. The Aztec is being auctioned at Mecum Kissimmee, Florida in January.

Man it would be cool to own!!

Wonder what it will go for?

Aztec-Mecum-01

Torchie
    Participant

Just got off of that other site(My once a month check in) and could not believe the comments made about this piece of Custom car History.

I think my resolution for this year will be to delete my link to them.

Torchie

bob tindale
    Participant

When the Aztec was built I thought it was one of the greatest Kustoms ever built. I could not believe it started as a 55 Chev. My tastes have swung over to the more traditional Kustom look but I still love it and would love to own it. No respect on that ‘other site’ just idiots wanting to be heard.

Tinwolf
    Participant

Hope that the new owner will appriciate the unique custom car icon for what it is . To take a base model car like Chevrolet was and create a luxury one off that eclips the top of the line Cadillacs and Lincolns of the era . I see the Aztec as a custom car monument of art , it is an incredible build with a massive amount of custom modifications , custom built grills and bumpers front and back with the four surrounding Studebaker pans , custom built tail lights , custom built cruiser skirts , custom sidetrim , custom fins to die for , every bodyline is alterd and flows together to a full blown custom car is pure custom car created magic by Barris and then resurrected by Barry Massa , if Im lucky it will end up somewhere I can see it in RL , lol !!

Wolf

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Will be auctioned later today….

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

Word is that it didn’t sell. I think it hit $175,000. Most likely didn’t reach the reserve.

Torchie

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

So sad.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

That’s a big disappointment..  The beat-up bullet car went for a ridiculous number, yet a custom icon…?  I don’t get it.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

David
    Participant

I think it is sad it didn’t go for more. The question is why? Was it because the right players weren’t in the room? Sure the right players were informed, so I doubt that was it. I do hope though that it’s not an indicator that the historical custom market (maybe custom market overall?) has maxed and it on it’s way down. There’s certainly the interest….so many recent high quality custom builds and many more in the works. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Torchie
    Participant

Just my 2 cents….

In many ways this car is like the Golden Sahara II. People either love them or hate them as proven by many of the negative comments about both on other sites. Those of us that are true die hard custom people would have loved to have either one in our garage but the GSII didn’t bring in the kind of money that the “Kookie” T bucket did. And many custom people were amazed by that.

I do think the custom market is softening a bit. It seems like more and more are for sale. Both new and original. It would be interesting to see what the original Hirohata Merc would go for if it was ever brought  to auction. I personally wouldn’t go the auction route. Sure. It’s big and splashy but just it’s also just one of how many cars they pushed over the block that weekend? As David stated it’s not like it was a secret it was being sold what with the news all over the internet.

To equate customs and hot rods to music. I think of hot rods as “rock” music. Easily understood and firmly implanted in the publics mind. Customs are like “Jazz”. Not always as easily understood and only occasionally focused in the public spotlight. Jazz has never gone away. Just the public acknowledgement of it comes and goes. Except to the die hard enthusiasts. Customs are like that.

JMHO

Torchie

bob tindale
    Participant

Not the 1 st time Kustoms did badly at an auction . The Harry Bradley Chev. and the Jack Stewart Ford were auctioned and sold for around $22,000 each. More recently a DeRosa Riviera went for $12,000. Auctions are not the place to sell a Kustom unless you want to give it away. I love the Aztec and thought it would bring $500,000.  Not so.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I don’t know maybe it’s just me but $175,000 for a car that has a very limited and shrinking market that also requires deep pockets seems like pretty good money. The GSII was a different animal because it had been stashed away for so long and it’s reappearance was huge news. I also understand Barry not wanting to get rid of it for that much but to me it’s doesn’t seem that disappointing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.