Custom Car Chronicle

The 1941 Ford Custom Car

Home Forums CCC Forum The 1941 Ford Custom Car

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

The 1941 Ford has always been a personal favorite car for me. I love its overall body shapes and especially the three part grille. Personally I like the 1941 Ford better than the 46-48 models who share the main body, but have different fenders grilles and other details.
    In the past couple of years several really nice 1941 Ford customs have been build, which really pleases me. Because for a long time the 1941 Ford was considered an ugly car, just like the 1937 Ford which was also never fully appreciated by the Hot Rod and Custom Car crowd.

In the 1940’s and 1950’s however the 1941 Ford was already a popular car to customize. And there are many great samples of this. I will be showing many 1941 Ford custom cars in this thread in the next couple of weeks, both old customs as well as newly build samples.

I was inspired to start this new thread when I came across a photo of a newly build 1941 Ford long door coupe which I had not seen before. Surfer and Surf-board builder Tyler Hatzikian is creating this very nicely shaped early style 1941 Ford… I found this photo online.. and hopefully some of the CCC-Readers will have some more info and photos of this great looking car…. any other 1941 Ford photos are welcome here as well… lets see the wonderful lines of these 1941 Fords.

The chopped top and especially the rear quarter windows on Tyler 1941 Ford look really amazing. We need to see more.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

I think the shape of the rear 1/4 window is a make or break on those chops. That one is good. It still has some shape, rather than a little flat sided triangle with pointy corners like so many end up with.

My favourite of the 41-48’s is the 42, best looking grille out of the bunch for me. (If we’re taking stockers!)

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I found some more photos of Tyler’s 1941 Ford.

the Stylish Kustoms blog has an article on the car showing some really great photos. Check out the site here.

Here are a few photos I took from the Stylish Kustoms Blog.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Another 1941 Ford that has intrigue me a lot over the last couple of years is this unfinished sedan convertible that I found some photos of at an online auction in 2009.

I think the car is an newer build car, possibly inspired by the Barris Joe Urritta 1941 Ford. But it could also have been an old custom project that was never finished. And somebody tried to finish it with modern body fillers and just never finished the protect. I never was able to find out accurate information about it.

I think it has a lot of potential, and I really hope somebody did ens up buying it with plans to finish it with a nice padded top.

By the looks of it it started out as a sedan with the top cut off. The A-Pillars still have a bit of curve to them which a convertible windshield has not. (that is something that needs to be fixed if it ever gets build).
    There is a ton of great body work on the car including chopped windshield, reshaped door tops, sectioned body and hood,custom grille, custom taillights etc…

You have to see it with the proper stance though…

The grilles are inspired by some units the Valley Custom Shop created. At least one of the side grilles was inside the car.

Anybody knows what ever happened with this one?

This thread should be interesting! I wish I had a pic or two to add, but unfortunately (at least for this forum) the few ’41 Fords in this neck-of-the-woods have been rodded rather than customized…

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

PalleJ
    Participant

who said 41 Ford??..i have one! somewhere!!

Big A
    Participant

Not a custom… yet. Waiting in the wings until my ’51 Ford is on the road. The plan is a fairly healthy chop, speedboat stance, skirts, not a ton of other modifications. Traditional taildragger…

Big A '41 Ford coupe

'51 Ford tudor sedan & '41 Ford business coupe

SFCC | Atlanta | Milwaukee | Toronto | Charleston

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Whoever wins the Jack Stewart book needs to buy this . Listed as a 40 but it’s a 41 isn’t it? Hey don’t blame me for not being exactly sure: I am a pure Cadillac man. . .
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-none-ford-business-coup-/171182263147?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27db420b6b&item=171182263147&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_22wt_1105

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Here is a pretty wild one from an old Hop Up I found some days ago. A bit different in style but still very cool I think and I doubt that anyone would dare to build something like this today, or?

41_Ford_side

41_Ford_rear

41_Ford_front

Big A
    Participant

That sedan convertible has horizontal grille bars. Rik, you mention Valley Customs, do you have any photos? I have a line on a pretty nice cast aluminum centre grille with horizontal bars, I’d need to make or come up with the lower grilles and I’d like to see some before I make a decision.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Big A, this is Ed Jaques Ford done by the Valley Custom Shop, with the hand made grille.

Big A
    Participant

Well that looks pretty sweet. Thanks for the photo Rik. I just had a look on your archive to see the rest of the car (not sure how I’d missed this one before), I like the overall smoothness of it, not sure I like the front wheel opening treatment…

Ed Jacques '41

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Bringing this back to the top. For obvious reasons ?. The 41 is such a legendary kustomized ride, from Jesse Lopez to jack stewart , the lines of the coupe and the convertible are so great to work with. Fat fenders, three piece grill and beautiful roof line. There is a lot on the 41 to work with, for me it’s an iconic ford in the kustom scheme of things

Respect tradition

Shanahan
    Participant

I remember seeing that Urritta looking Ford at All American a couple years ago. It’s a junk yard in the Vancouver/Camas area of Washington. I thought it was really cool, but it was too expensive (just like everything they sell). I don’t know what ever happened to it though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.