Custom Car Chronicle

That Oh So Important Side Profile Shot

Home Forums CCC Forum That Oh So Important Side Profile Shot

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 265 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Palle Johansen took this side view of Tim Kirkegaard 1939 Mercury when it was driving to a new photo location for a Kustoms Illustrated / Gasoline magazine photo shoot.
    This side view really shows the wonderful shape of the chopped top done by Kevan Sledge.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Im glad you fellas are diggin my thread idea,I had been wanting to do it for a while.Thanks for the compliments.This view was real important back in the day.I believe us guys on the chronicle can appreciate the simpleness of the side view od a sled.The technical artsy stuff is not my cup of tea.Im not saying those guys who shoot that stuff don’t have talent but I think it is a little over the top.Its just like building a custom,most guys on this site like simple
    sleds therefore. …. we like simple clean photography to compliment our cars.

Dave your side profile shot is great and that car has great lines.

Palle the pic you took of Tims mercury is gorgeous, I would love to buy a print of that so I can frame it.The roof line reminds me of my favorite 40 of all time.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Of all the beautiful angels Gil could of chosen on his stunning 40 merc he chose a dead on side view of the car for his business card.That says something for the side profile shot.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

When I take photos of custom cars I always try to get a nice dead on side view. That shows the cars profile and stance the best. Taking these at indoor shows is not alway easy, and sometimes not even possible at all since the cars are parked to close together.

Here is a selection of side view photos I took on my visit to the 2011 GNRS Customs Then & Now exhibit.

Dick Fowler’s 1938 Ford Coupe

Snooky Janich 1941 Ford

Wally Welch 1950 Mercury

Buddy Alcorn 1950 Mercury

Ralph Testa 1950 Mercury Convertible

And I have to admit that taking the dead on side view photos outside is so much better. But unfortunately there was not always the opportunity to do that.
    This side view shows that the Hirohata Mercury might not sit quite right compared to its 1950’s stance.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Rik what a incredible lineup of cars you just posted.I love Wallys merc and love the chop. You can see the difference in the Ayala brothers’work when you look at the Alcorn merc compared to Wallys.Alcorn merc was obviously going for the fastback look and I believed they nailed it.I love that cars chop ,even it being a fastback they still retained the correct rear window location. Personally in this day and age the location of the rear window gets lost. Ayala brothers were too smart to let that happen.

Ralph Testa merc is also one I love and it doesn’t get talked about that often. I would just put some Goodyear super cushions on it and be done.It has a great side profile to it and stance looks good.

These cars all look great from the side, excellent photo choices.

PalleJ
    Participant

cool thread Jeff!!
    i have some troubles with my fotki acount at the moment..but i am sure i have a couple of photos to add!
    Jeff email me..and i will send back the picture!
    p@llejohansen.dk
    -palle
    ps: please someone..raise that Hirohata car 2 ” in the front! thanks!!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

“ps: please someone..raise that Hirohata car 2 ” in the front! thanks!! -palle”

Glad you said it first Palle, I thought I was seeing things from too many strong coffees this Sunday morning.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

The side profile of these custom cars really show how important stance is, and what an extra inch on the front or back can do for a car. The Hirohata Mercury really is missing its speed boat stance, as well as the proper tires I think.

On the last series of photos I posted the Snooky Janich 1941 Ford in primer also lacks the perfect stance. But for that car there was a really good excuse. The team was in a absolute rush to get the car ready for the show. They had to ravel from Kansas and found out only days before they had to leave that at one point they had decided to use a 1946 Ford front axle which was in better condition than the origianl 1941 Ford axle that came with the car. Not realizing that the 1946 Ford had an (I believe it was an inch and a half) wider track than the 1941 unit had. So when everything was restored and assembled and put back on the car they found out the wheels/tires stuck out to much and the wheels could not turn.
    The only option they had was to raise the suspension to be able to turn the wheels and get it to move out of the garage, on the trailer and into the GNRS show building. The right front axle has been rebuild and installed on the car since then.

A few more side views.

1936 Fords…

John Fisher’s 1936 Ford Coupe

Pierson Brothers 1936 Ford Coupe shortly after it was being rescued from being street rodded for many years.
    Now with the right wheels/tires and stance again.

Jack Calori 1936 Ford coupe
    This car was in an impossible place to photograph right.

Surviver 1936 Ford convertible

Kurt McCormick’s Pisana brothers 1941 Buick.

Kurt McCormick’s Westergard 1941 Cadillac

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Steve Hutman send this photo taken by Trent Sherrill of his 1953 Ford.

palosfv3
    Participant

Larry

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Great pictures fellas….keep em coming.

This thread is turning into some fun. Rik,the photos from the Then & Now show are great,making me get a little sad since we don’t have something like that to look forward to. It was a great time though and a great opportunity to get some side view shots of some of the most iconic customs in existence. Kurts buick and the 41 cad are just perfect.You can really see how important the stance is when talking about flow and the sideview.

Cole
    Participant

Here is a picture I took today of my Chevy in front of an old house.

Enjoy the distinction that is inherent in owning a customized car.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

G’day Cole,
    It’s not often you can say “Cool Roofline” . . . and mean both the car . . . and the house in the background.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Great shot Cole,car looks real good and the house is great.

I just got home from nice late morning/afternoon cruise to the old holy grail of cruising territory. ……BALBOA .

No I was not drinking and driving just happen to park there and it was a good sideview .I hung out on the peninsula for a while had lunch then got in the sled and drove around to the island.I cant take the ferry across or my car would get stuck.One of the inconveniences of not having that switch to raise the car up.Well….its worth it to me,I would Never have it any other way.Besides that …..without taking the ferry means you have to drive more miles.

Here is also a pic going over the bridge leaving the island.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Here is the pic that was supposed to be on my last post.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 265 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.