Custom Car Chronicle

That Oh So Important Side Profile Shot

Home Forums CCC Forum That Oh So Important Side Profile Shot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 265 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Ok lets face it … when we see a great looking custom in person or in pictures us custom guys always want a clean look at a side profile shot.This view is pretty much the tell all when it comes to quality of your chop,window placement, etc. A good side profile photo will tell the truth when talking about chopped tops.I didn’t start this thread to belittle builders or owners but to show one of my favorite views of a chopped customs.Lets see some of yours or some of your favorites. Im gonna try and post one to get started. (If it is small Rik,please enlarge if you can,remember im working all from a cell phone.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Gotta love this one from the Pan Pacific.

Attachments:
    Jeff Neppl
    Participant

…..

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Excellent point Jeff.

In the old days a lot of the magazine features on custom cars and hot rods featured at least three mandatory photos.
    A front three quarter, a rear three quarter and a dead on side view. This way the reader could really see how the car looked. Those three photos and especially the Side Profile photo showed the lines on the car, the way it sat and the over all proportions.
    In current magazine the editors/photographers seams to have forget these important guidelines for a good feature.
    I think the Rodder’s Journal is the only real exception here. But most magazines like to ad as many art photos from low or high camera points… nice, but it rarely gives you a good overall impression of the car featured.

So great topic… love to see the side views.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Here is one side view I have always really enjoyed.
    Joe Urritta’s 1941 Ford with the two dogs posing in front of it.
    I wish the original photo of this one would show up some day. All we have now is scans from the several magazine articles on the car with the back ground cut from the photo.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Rik I have always loved that picture and that car. The picture especially because everytime I see those weiner dogs I think of how they look like customs going down the street.I really like that car and I know it isn’t one of the most popular customs but I do believe it deserves more love then it gets.Great choice for a side shot Rik.

Come on fellas ……..lets see some of your favorite side shots or shots of your Sleds.

Ron Brooks
    Participant

After reading this post and looking through some of my pictures, I realize full side shots are pretty rare. Most people take 3/4 shots , myself included. Here are a few I found in my collection.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Thanks for the great pics Ron.I really love the looks of that chevy .Also the benefits of the side view is we get to see the stance clear as well.I think it was more common back in the day and not so much today. We all know Marcia Campbell loved the side profile shot.In my opinion she was one of the best and probably my favorite. Her work was simple and clean and just had great angles and background. People today try and get way to fancy with the super low angle pointing up shots. To me those are stale and played out,people need to keep it simple.After all we are just shooting cars right ?

If I owned that chevy in the middle I don’t think the top would ever be on.That car looks real good with a GREAT stance.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Speaking of Marcia Campbell….
    Below are some of here side profile photos.. and all are pretty famous photos!

Richard Ruiz 1949 Chevy

Johnny Zaro 1941 Ford… same location as above

Nick Matranga 1940 Merc

Bill Taylor 1949 Chevy

Bickford
    Participant

Jeff
    The side profile is a very big thing for me also. I need to see how everything flows. Most magazines dont show it. The show a lot of close up shots of quarter panals but that side profile is what really makes a car. Having the eye move from the front to back very easally and not being broken by any modifications. Also just like you said it shows the stance of the car. Maybe the mags dont do the side profile cause cause everything is layong on the ground looking like its broken.
    Here is my 1951 Chevrolet Custom. Ypu all can be brutally honest. I wont get butt hurt and cry to the administers of this forum. HAHAHAHA!! Its still being built so no bumpers were on it.

Attachments:
    Martin
    Participant

Gotta add some shoeboxes to the side show.

Ron Dunn – sectioned 1950 Ford shoebox
    a shoebox which I don’t know the name of the builder/owner.. (maybe someone here can shim in on that?)
    Buster Litton – 1949 Ford shoebox

Attachments:
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Martin
    Participant

Chris Casny’s shoebox is quite nice in it’s side profile. One of few shoeboxes I like with the side trim completely removed.

Chris Casny – 1950 Ford shoebox

Attachments:
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Gotta add some shoeboxes to the side show.

a shoebox which I don’t know the name of the builder/owner.. (maybe someone here can shim in on that?)

Joe Bailon built that one for Elton Kantor

Great side shots Martin.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Nice idea for a thread Jeff! I agree I get so annoyed with all “artsy” shots everyone seems to feel the need to do these days. I am looking at a car I want to see it like I would if I walked up to it. I don’t get down on my knees or stand on a ladder when I am looking at a vehicle in real life so why would I want to do it in a magazine. I could understand some additional shots like that but don’t replace the basic viewpoint shots with all that nonsense.

Great idea Jeff! One of the very first shots I took of my car was a full side view – just to admire it’s lines. Barry Mazza and his fellow club members chopped the ’41 Merc for Al Sinclair in a N.J. driveway.. I will admit that I painted-out the flames currently on the car and faked the sepia colouring, but the car is otherwise just as it sits right now and I love it!

41profile_sepia

Keep those profile shots coming!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 265 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.