Custom Car Chronicle

Sunken number plate trunks

Home Forums CCC Forum Sunken number plate trunks

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Hey, that’s really cool and very good information. Never thought of shaping glass in an owen. Did you use ordinary non tempered window glass? Thnaks a lot for sharing.

Kirkegaard
    Participant

wow, what a great thread, thanks Palle for sharing

PalleJ
    Participant

Well I thought the most tricky part, would be to bend the glass. but that was nothing compared to the work that was ahead of me
    I actually never thought much about how to sunk in the licenseplate..maybe I should have done that. but as always… I just jump into it, and let things develop during my fabrications. So what you see here, might not be the only, or even fastest way to do it.
    I will let the pictures do the talking..feel free to ask any question

well the first thing, was to be sure the glass fitted the curve of the pan (how i did that is covered earlier in this thread)

i rounded the corners a bit

welded them together

another frame was build..to hold the glass one side, and to hold the plate, and create the “tunnel” on the backside

Here is the beginning of the “tunnel”

its a mockup..but you get the idea. this was not easy, and i think it took me 3 days. but it would be quicker to do it again. i hope this will give some of you some ideas..and remember just jump right into it…happy easter! it was for me!
    -Palle

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

What a fantastic HOW TO article Palle. It came out really great.
    The last two photos show how good this looks. And the way you did it makes it almost look like it came that way from the factory.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Kirkegaard
    Participant

Looking so fantastic Palle

Thanks for sharing this

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Here is where I am up to with my trunk.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Ok so that went well. I decided to go with the 12 inch plate size. Wanted it to look like the rear window opening with round shoulders. I went with the flat glass style.though yet to get glass cut. Also filled taillight cnrs. Will run a 46 cad front bar cut down on rear.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PalleJ
    Participant

Quentin..i can do a couple of lenses for those guards,you know that!!? it looks good
    i have been working some hours this weekend too
    i made this profile to end the curve under the licenseplate..i tryed to make it look like it came out that way!

heres the profile..dont know the english word for it! school me please!

more later..cant wait! and the weather is perfect! so i better hurry up!
    -palle

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Looking good Palle, yours looks factory. Mine, I am kind of just playing around since the car isn’t at the workshop….but I figure if I don’t like it on the car, well I’ll cut it out and do it again…as for the taillight offer thanks but what makes yours special is that no one else has them. They are Pallelights. You need to throw away the moulds. I think I may just go simple round ones in the bumper ends like Tom Black Caddy. Long way off…..am undecided.

Looking good Palle and Quentin.A lot of info to pick up here when it´s time to make mine.

PalleJ
    Participant

Quentin…i can do the small for for you if you like! its good fun to play with
    today i welded in the lower bead to the rear..it looks way better i think.

time for some leadsling’in…

i couldnt help myself to spray a little color on, to see how it will look when finnished

i think i need to cut those light tunnels off, or at least raise them into the upper part. they are too visible

stay tuned
    -palle

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

This is a great thread,enjoying the updates.

Tony
    Participant

i think i need to cut those light tunnels off, or at least raise them into the upper part. they are too visible

Yes.

But otherwise, looks really good.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Very cool!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.