Custom Car Chronicle

Sunken number plate trunks

Home Forums CCC Forum Sunken number plate trunks

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    PalleJ
    Participant

no way back….

i wanna bend some glass next week. heres the curve i need. no big deal..at leats thats what i hope!

-palle

PalleJ
    Participant

please check how perfect the old Danish black plate fits the caddy rear!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Good… I have been looking forward to see this done to your Caddy, Palle. And wow.. it looks like the Caddy curved panels at the back were indeed created for the old Danish plates. A perfect match!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

That’s all very well Palle . . . but is using a 24v Dewalt battery drill “traditional” ???

PalleJ
    Participant

Damn Quentin…wrong picture. i took one using a file! haha

Stephen Gotz
    Participant

This should be cool, looking forward to the next instalment

PalleJ
    Participant

stay tuned..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Looking great Palle! Those narrow European plates look to be perfect for the available space on the Caddy.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Palle, looks as though it was a Bastard…..file that is. If you decide to sellthe handle or back up light, I will buy. I gave my Dad a46 conv as a retirement present to restore. But now he is 75 and hasn’t retired and has me doing all the work and chasing all the missing parts…..just like when I worked for him.
    Gotta say I love the line of the rear fenders without the taillights. That sharp peak is killer. Can’t wait to see yours cleaned up with your lenses in the bumper.
    I’ll be interested to see how you bend the glass. I made a moulds to make 53 screen. You should be able to make a perimeter frame with the curve and get glass Co to slump it in their big oven. Might be able to toughen it at same time.I was gonna use perspex but glass would be so much better. Q

PalleJ
    Participant

Quentin…i am using a 48 handle, you know you modernize it a tat! so the handle is no problem. i might have a plan for the back-up light…but lets talk about it!
    the Glass should bend at 650 gr, so i expect no problems. but i have been wrong before haha..i do have a oven, but not big enough for a windshield..unless you started build a Bonneville 33
    -palle

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Palle that really looks good. What did you cut it with after you drilled the holes in the corners ?

PalleJ
    Participant

Thanks Jeff…i used a grinder with a very thin blade!
    -palle

Tomas
    Participant

Looks really good

PalleJ
    Participant

okay dont know if this belong in this thread..but somehow i think it does. let men know if not!
    i deciced notto use plexiglass, but real glas. so now i only needed to bend the damn thing
    i have a ceramic owen, but never tried to put glass in it. so after searching the internet, i found out that glas would start softening around 650-700 degree’s
    i did set the max heat at 700. we cut out a piece of Rockwool insulation in the shape the pan has.
    put the glass on top off of it and here we go!

but that was a mistake..700 was a bit to much…heres the result:

as you can see, this was just under the melting point, and the glass was to soft

so another try, and the temp was set at 670..

and that was just what i needed!
    but shit its hot!

the next thing was to let it cool down. after 2 hours we still hat around 250 degrees in there
    after that i took it out, and let it sit for an hour…still hot though!

another fun thing to do! i love being a Kustomguy haha

another thing…when we went over 700..the glass also become white or kinda blurry. so this is just the right temp!

thanks for looking!
    -palle

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

This absolutely belongs in this thread Palle.
    Wow… Very impressive. That came out so nice, and will look so good with the same curve as the sheet metal.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.