Custom Car Chronicle

Steve Pierce 1936 Buick Project

Home Forums CCC Forum Steve Pierce 1936 Buick Project

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Steve Pierce has started a new project.

This time an mid 40’s styled Custom Convertible with chopped padded top created from a three window Coupe.

From Steve Pierce…

“I told myself that my next project was going to at least run and drive. I didnā€™t listen. Hereā€™s the start to this basket case. If anyone needs me Iā€™ll be removing old wood and making it metal. First day in.”

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-01

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-02

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-03

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-04

And this is the goal of the project. A stylish Custom that could have been driving the streets from the early to mid 1940’s.

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-Design-01

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-Design-02

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Day 1 of removing old shitty wood and replacing it with metal. Hopefully Iā€™m doing something right. I keep checking for square and level. So far so good.

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-05

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-06

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-07

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Well after 2 months of trying to make sure this body is de-wood and structurally stronger then what it ever was. I have a convertible again. First step of many to make this pile a Custom.

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-08

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-09

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-10

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Happy Easter everyone. I got a few hours on the #36buick I chopped the windshield down 3.5ā€ but while doing that I found out somebody did a little fixing on the right post. 1/2ā€ thick of led kind of fix. So I guess Iā€™ll be repairing that now.

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-12

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-11

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-13

Tinwolf
    Participant

Hi Steve !

Very interesting to see since I got the same model car my 36Buick , I got the floor board- rust repair job in front of me so great to see the deforestation in the floorboard region in your car , so far I got mine drivable with some “jerry rigged” electric system and boat tank in the trunk ! Are you keeping the battery-box under the seat or will you reposition it to the engine bay ? Also interesting to see the factory joint in the top of the A-pillar , I will follow your build with great interest !!

IMG_20180325_181021_3IMG_20180325_181142_3

Wolf

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Great start!Ā  Just a thought:Ā  There is nothing that sounds quite as sweet as a straight eight Buick engine.Ā  Beginning in 1949 they modernized the engine with insert rod bearings.Ā  If you could snag a 1949-1953 Buick engine, it would give long, reliable service in traditional custom mode.Ā  (“Salt Cats” from Columbus, Montana in 2018 just set a class land speed record at Bonneville with a hopped up straight eight engine.)Ā  And that 1936 floor shift synchronized transmission is a torque tube version of the famed Cad LaSalle transmission of the era.Ā  All the rage, back in the day.

Ahhh, nostalgia!

Tinwolf
    Participant

My Buick has 17440 some miles on the odo , I wouldn’t believe it as real miles on an old car like this except this one had no gouges wear into the brake drums , the front wheel bearings looked like new ? no play in the kingpins … maybe it could be true ?? unfortunately the bottom couple of inches of the doors is badly rusted and the whole floorboard and trunk floor and where the rear fenders attach needs replacing , runningboards it busted , seeing the above pictures the wood under the floor most likely needs replaced as well , so the engine or transmission is not the first things that needs attending , the gear ratio is 4,444:1 which makes it great around the house but not on the open road …Ā Ā enough hugging of Steves thread , more of Steves great Buick custom build !

instrument cluster

Brakedrum front left

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Wow, looking forward to follow this build.

Did you make a photoshop version of it with removed running boards as well? Just curious.

Torchie
    Participant

Going to be another great build.

For what it’s worth…..I like sketch #4 as I like the use of the stock trim on the hood sides.

I also like the use of the stock grill. Not everything has to have a LaSalle or Packard grill.

I agree with Larry on the later model Straight 8. I had a 1950 Buick. It ran like a sewing machine and had no problem keeping up with modern traffic..

Keep the posts coming please.

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Well, this is inspiring! I have a ’40 Ford coupe which will get the same basic treatment. Of course not much wood in the Ford!

Also, I have some extra Buick mechanical parts left over from my !941 project. If you will use the Straight 8, and need anything let me know. I have a complete 248 engine, 50-51 I think. And other spareĀ ancillaryĀ parts. Also a complete ’41 factory 2×2 intake/exhaust set up.

I’ll be paying attention here šŸ˜‰

Mitch

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Wow, looking forward to follow this build.

Did you make a photoshop version of it with removed running boards as well? Just curious.

No I did not… perhaps in the future, if time permits.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Steve…

I swear Iā€™m still building the 36. Weā€™ve had some words lately but weā€™re working on it. Driver side windshield frame is pretty much wrapped up. The passenger side needs @robbie.azevedo expertise so thatā€™s going to wait. I got the rear suspension out and waiting on the new leafs and hangers. Getting the new Rearend Iā€™m putting in, rebuilt as well. I want this car to be a roller again. Thatā€™s all for now.

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-14 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-15 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-16 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-17 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-18

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

From Steve…

“I finished up the rear suspension on the #36buick My good buddy Willie came over and rebuilt the Rearend and I got all of the suspension welded. Time to save for the front suspension”

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-19 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-20 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-21 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-22 Steve Pierce-36-Buick-23

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

“When youā€™re friends with real metal guys and Iā€™ve seen their perfect work, I doubt myself. But after finding this mess under lead I knew it needed to be fixed. @robbie.azevedo came over and told me what to do. Well I did it. Again I follow to many great fabricators, so theyā€™ll probably laugh. But with my tools in my garage Iā€™m happy.”

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-24

Steve Pierce-36-Buick-25

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Looks good to me!

Mitch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.