Custom Car Chronicle

Spartans, Airstreams, tear drop trailers.

Home Forums CCC Forum Spartans, Airstreams, tear drop trailers.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That is an Contructam Larry… Trailer made in Belgium. Really nice once.. always loved those.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tinwolf
    Participant

Did someone say Spartan ?
    Let me tell you about my trailer dream , I have had a longtime camper dream and collected old trailer since the eighties but when I saw the models Spartan came out with as early as 1946 I was hooked , this was around 2005 and I got master photoshopper to put my dream car/trailer combo , totally unrealisticly ofcause but who cares , dreams are dreams and keep me alive .

Anyway Rik mated my 1950 Buick Roadmaster with a 1950 Spartan Imperial Mansion and I saw the light , total length of 57 foot , streamline shapes to die for so I got crackin on finding one of these beasts , summer of 2006 we planned a trip across US and in the spring I found a 1950 Spartan Royal Mansion (three foot shorter then the Imperian Mansion) listed as a salvage car , none of the trailerguys found the auction I imagine , I pushed eBay button and got it , haha 33foot trailer , how is one of those going to be transported home to Sweden ?
    Before I pushed the button I called my old boss Gene Winfield and he was located acouple of miles from the Spartan (go figure , the stars must been aligned) , I was allowed to store it in his backyard until I figured out what to do with it …..
    It took me until 2010 until I figured how that was going to be done remotely from Sweden and I had figured all scenarios without any luck .

I collected parts for it during the years and in doing so I found a trailer restorer on the eastcoast that sent a guy to Californina to retrieve the trailer and then after helping me with new whitewalls and 15″ rims sent it by RORO ship to Sweden , in shipping stuff I have before and after been like an egg sick hen but this time I was ready to explode of waiting for it , first of februari 2011 I was rejoined with the trailer.
    I built a temporary roof for it and its been sitting there ever since , it still smells abit like “California dry” in it , a nice desert smell possibly from the thindirt or maybe from the wood , I don’t know , atleast , my small bit of California at home , atleast that’s what I tell myself !

Weird enough I have still not slept on night in the trailer that we now owned for 10 years , it cost me “an arm and a leg” , people ask me what are you going to tow that with , where are you going to park it , silly questions , its a dream , nobody else in Sweden have such trailer , yeah , Im crazy but its fun to have a passion and easy to fall in love with that streamline design !

Wolf

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tinwolf
    Participant

Maybe there is hope for me , this 15m 4ton trailer monster towed in Sweden :

Then my tini-tiny 10,5 meter long with close to half the weight …………..
    Sorry for posting new stuff here but this flick gives me hope 😉
    Wolf

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Wow. I was waiting for you Wolf, that’s why I started the thread with ”Spartans”.
    PS. Dreamers aren’t the crazy ones. . . It is the ones who don’t dream who are crazy.

Quentin Hall
    Participant
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Brendan
    Participant

Something I’d like to think I know a bit about, well it’s my job haha.

Here’s a few I’ve worked on lately.

Attachments:
    Brendan
    Participant

Here is a teardrop I built from scratch. The owner can sleep in the front and sell coffee out the back.

Attachments:
    Brendan
    Participant

Here my personal little camper. It was bought over from the UK in 1961 and it’s been around around Australia twice behind a Kombi. Factory independent suspension.

Attachments:
    Brendan
    Participant

And the one that got away 🙁

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Very nice Brandon… Coffee and teardrop trailers… good combo.

I really love the last one.. that got away. Very nice shape. What year was that from? 1930’s?

Brendan
    Participant

1946 built here in Australia. Apparently there were plans for it in modern/popular(?) mechanics magazine.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Glad you made it here mate. Love that mid size airstream. But that 46 is sublime.

Brendan
    Participant

Yeah that’s a boat on top.

Attachments:
    Brendan
    Participant

Few more cool ones.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.