Custom Car Chronicle

Spartans, Airstreams, tear drop trailers.

Home Forums CCC Forum Spartans, Airstreams, tear drop trailers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

I figure I need another project. . . Haha. But seriously, I’ve always loved old caravans. Used to have a 1948 bondwood Travelux. But soon as I get back onto the 39 it may be fun to think about a teardrop or something . So how about posting some pics to whet my appetite.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Love the old trailers… here are some of the photos I took and collected.

This was a nice one I came across online… Most likely a new build… I did not make any notes when I saved the images.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Oh wow. That very last one behind the Cadillac looks just like our old Travelux.
    I’m thinking of building a teardrop and I like the hinged rear kitchen area. Keep em coming.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

This one was for sale here on the CCC a while back.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Some more photos I collected… mostly borrowed from ebay auctions. (hence the watermarks on some)

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Hi, Quentin. Here’s a photo of the replica KIT teardrop trailer I built in 2003. Dotti found a site online, and we got a butcher paper pattern. And a xerox booklet, where the dimensions changed with each turn of the page. Took 4 months, three sheets of plywood, some masonite and aluminum. Scott Clark helped me with welding the frame pieces I cut, and re-set the offset of the GM wheels, to clear body and replica fiberglass fenders I got from a fellow in Auburn, CA. I used a torsion bar axle, to keep it low. 39 Ford tail lights, 32 Ford door handles. In the trunk, I built a swing-out shelf to make the “kitchen” an L-shape. (First time I used the Pythagorean Theorem, figuring out the angled shelf brace, so I called my 1955 Geometry teacher and thanked him!) Tiled the main countertop. We use it every summer up in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Very cool trailers, I really dig these clasics. Some years ago when Peterson cared about history they had a biG vintage trailer exhibit, it was really good with some great examples of classic camping. They way these look behind a custom is just gorgeous.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Great topic Q.
    I’m getting too old for tents so we have an old unrestored swedish camping trailer which we have towed around for some years, but a teardrop or something similar is definitely high up on my wishlist. Several awesome trailers have already been posted here and here comes a few more. First one is from Steve Shepard who is currently building one from scratch. Second is also a new built trailer.

trailer1

trailer2

trailer3

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Oh yeah, Bert,that last one is what I would love. I like the Teardrops with rounded shoulders. . . And I guess after squeezing into one I’ll have rounded shoulders too.

kustomland
    Participant

I can not seem to find a side shot of my 1936 Ford front end tear drop, The back hatch did not even have a hitch as the air flowing over it keeps it shut. We took it all over Yosemite CALIF and every year to the LONE PINE FESTIVAL behind Bakersfield.
    If you look at the trailer you can see were I punched a hole from my hitch, I was backing my car up to it and realized my INDIAN FENDERS were ” LIBERATED ” gone and ran into it….

Mine has an empty space under the kitchen at the back so its allows 8 feet to lay in , I have seen some were it stops and there on 6 feet 2 inches long so if your bigger you have to sleep across from corner to corner. The front end is a Ford with the steering link pined with a bolt to keep it straight.
    My trailer had 1940’s INDIAN FENDERS and one night some one needed the fenders more then my trailer and LIBERATED THEM…!! ” MIDNITE SPARES ” I was so pissed…!
    I had a running joke with some friends that COLE FOSTER of SALINAS BOYS paid me back for some B.S and he used them on one of his motor bike builds….!! Im just waiting to see what bikes in SALINAS has awesome INDIAN fenders on it….! lol
    It is so light you can not feel it on the back of your new car what so ever….

Also every 4th July at King City CALIF they have a huge vintage trailer show in the park all set up , They used to have a really awesome display every year at the Cow Palace indoor car show in San Francisco too…

But they don’t do that show for some reason any more…?
    KUSTOMLAND

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Larry Pointer
    Participant

Just found this one on Pinterest. Don’t have any details, but it is cool.

kustomland
    Participant

deleted post wife did not think post was funny. She told me to delete it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.