Custom Car Chronicle

School me on Hudsons

Home Forums CCC Forum School me on Hudsons

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CadillacRob86
    Participant

Lately I’ve been developing a thing for Hudson’s, mainly late 40’s to early 50’s.  To me they bridge that gap between a Chevy and a Mercury.  Having been working on my cadillacs for a while and being beat up by the prices, part of me dreams of building a custom where anything goes and there’s no self imposed rules of maintaining originality.  Freedom to customize and, run a drivetrain that won’t kill my wallet, like a Chevy 350 setup.

The question I have is, is the chassis, brakes, suspension sortve odd ball on a Hudson? Sure, as a custom anything goes, but it would be nice to know that, if I wanted to go stock in those areas, it wouldn’t be too bad, like GM designs.

Anybody have experience with building these cars? Would love to see your pics.

Tony
    Participant

Are they a kind of unibody?

CadillacRob86
    Participant

I have no idea.

Torchie
    Participant

Here is a link to some info on the Hudsons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Commodore

The 3rd generation ones had what they called the “Step down” Design. They came out in 1948 and were ahead of others in post war design as most others were still producing what were still pre war body styles.

Interior floors were sunk down for more room. The 48 on up tend to be real rust buckets around the rockers. I think that they were some sort of combination perimeter frame and unititised construction and that contributed to rust issues. They had great engines in them and were quite fast for their time.

They also made a pickup truck that used the same front sheet metal as the cars. 1946-47. Very attractive and very collectible today.

My family drove Hudsons for years and my mother always said the her 49 was her favorite car.

I have seen the 48-52 Bodies put on newer chassis but don’t know what was used or how involved it is.

As a foot note. The main car that Jack Kerouac and Neil Cassidy drove cross country in Kerouac’s Novel “On the road” was a Hudson.

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

As a foot note. The main car that Jack Kerouac and Neil Cassidy drove cross country in Kerouac’s Novel “On the road” was a Hudson.

Oh well, that seals it poobah!

Jack Ripper
    Participant

I have built street rods in the past. My 41 Buick was my first custom. I had seen a lot of customs and was very impressed with them. One of my top 3 vehicles is a 49/50 Merc Kustom. When I started mine I had no connections to the custom world, so as far as you can do only certain things to the body or run certain drive train and suspensions never occurred to me. Mine has a M11 front end, a 350 Chevy crate motor, 400 turbo trans, and a Ply. rear. Is it a street rod or custom? I really hate to get into this what is it deal. In my opinion if I can do a whole suspension for the price of a Caddy grill it’s a no brainer for me.  I just love driving and showing the car. The average enthusiast I think really doesn’t care about drive train. I don’t have a 6 figure car but I enjoy it like one. I don’t know if this is answered your question but I do believe that custom cars should be built and preserved by any means possible. Jan.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    KustomKreeps
    Participant

48 – till the Hudson label closed down are all uni body.

Center point steering, low center of gravity, suspension that was way ahead of anything else at the time all meant they dominated NASCAR for some time.

Roof lines lower than any other cars from the factory. giving a bit of a chopped look. to me the four door steep down hudsons are one of the best looking factory more doors ever made.

Brakes aint nothing to great. Drum with mechanical MC under the floor.

Im currently doing a 49′ that im putting a Nailhead in.

Will try to post a build thread latter if any are interested.

Alex

KustomKreeps
    Participant

link to Hudson build thread.
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/49-hudson-nailhead-build/

Im still copying posts across may take a day or two to get it up to where im at currently.
    Still it should give you a few ideas of what a stepdown hudson looks like underneath etc. need more images just ask.

CadillacRob86
    Participant

Perfecto! Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.