Custom Car Chronicle

Random Custom Car Photos

Home Forums CCC Forum Random Custom Car Photos

Viewing 15 posts - 1,456 through 1,470 (of 1,511 total)
  • Author
    Mild Mitch
    Participant

Wow! Gorgeous. And yes real Art.

MM

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Agree, it’s pure art and they makes me very curious of the car they are intended for.

Craig Thorson
    Participant

Exquisite and stunning design!

My Dad used the copper plating technique to fill pits in die cast parts. Copper plate, wet sand, repeat, repeat, repeat until the pits were gradually filled with layers of copper. Then, as you did, copper, nickel, chrome.

Tony
    Participant

I have already commented on how good these look, but now I am going to be controversial.

Several people have suggested I give my own over riders the same treatment and fill in the backs. I have been considering this, and at the rear will make some form of removable fill plate because they have turn signals and wiring in them, which I would rather hide, yet may need to service.

However, I am not very enthused about the fully welded, polished and plated one piece idea. To me it ends up looking like like a solid hunk of cast iron that has been polished and plated. For this reason, I don’t think I will do it.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Tony, that’s exactly what I did and for the same reasons for the gaurd/lights I made for my 1941 Buick. I posted some pics a long time ago. I’ll try to find them and add here if there is interest.

MM

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

More from John Canepa on the ’41 Cadillac Bumper Guard Taillights…. and License plate frame.

“License plate treatment for the ā€˜41 Cadillac. I wanted something different than the typical plate frame style that has tabs to hold the mounting screws. Was aiming for something cleaner. Opted for this frame, from the 40ā€™s, that encases a glass covering, and no visible mounting screws. Instead of adding an accessory light, I thought it would be unique to illuminate the frame surround, reminiscent of neon lighting from the era.
    Started by making a fresh backing plate and modifying the mount to adapt to the underside of bumper. Then some fresh chrome, cut a new piece of glass and installed the illumination. The result is something that could have been relevant back then, but hadnā€™t been done yet.”

John-Canepa-41-Caddy-Taillights-15John-Canepa-41-Caddy-Taillights-14John-Canepa-41-Caddy-Taillights-12John-Canepa-41-Caddy-Taillights-13John-Canepa-41-Caddy-Taillights-11John-Canepa-41-Caddy-Taillights-10

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I have been considering this, and at the rear will make some form of removable fill plate because they have turn signals and wiring in them, which I would rather hide, yet may need to service. However, I am not very enthused about the fully welded, polished and plated one piece idea. To me it ends up looking like like a solid hunk of cast iron that has been polished and plated. For this reason, I donā€™t think I will do it.

I hear you Tony, and I agree.
    I love the smooth look John created for the ’41 Cadillac bumpers, but that look ā€“ to me ā€“ does not work on a more traditional style custom.

In the case of a traditional custom I like the way John did them on the these guard lights better. And to make it even more traditional I would have locked it in place with a regular screw head. And perhaps slightly recess the backing plate for a more factory look.

307752431_10159292294603821_6858868044903216818_n308646495_10159292578873821_3238135774821384282_n308442677_10159292578933821_2225791993164438428_n

Tony
    Participant

Thanks Rik. That is basically what I was thnking of doing. And yes, I was also planning to recess it 3-4mm. I also agree about the screw. A slot would be better.

My ’52 Mercury.

20230101_22013120230101_220218

Shanahan
    Participant

204BA3ED-EEF3-420F-84BD-4B99BC6B09A8Hereā€™s a picture I came across from an old photos page. It was from Benton Harbor, Michigan, but he didnā€™t know the date.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

This pic was posted some time ago without any further information. I have no idea what it is but IĀ  really like the photo. The other car appears to be a Topolino? so I guess that suggest that it couldĀ  be european? Anybody have more information?

IMG_2841

Tinwolf
    Participant

Crazy cool car , I saw that picture years ago , maybe Rik showed it to me ? Cant remember if we found anything then but now I found it thru searching the picture in Google :

https://images.google.com/

Works dynamite , have not read the article but seems they have some info on the car :

“The car is a Fiat 1100 body by Carrozzeria Ala dā€™Oro from Reggio Emilia, built in 1948. Carrozzeria Ala dā€™Oro was founded in 1946 by Franco Bertani, a gentleman driver italian champion in 1938 1100cc class, and Officine Reggiane in Reggio Emilia.”

1948+Fiat 1100 body by Carrozzeria Ala dā€™Oro from Reggio Emilia

https://velocetoday.com/more-on-the-ala-oro-stang/

48 Fiat

48 Fiat 2

Dont like the center positioned headlight , maybe the hidden headlights didnt do the job , still a very neat design !

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Tinwolf.
    Tinwolf
    Participant

204BA3ED-EEF3-420F-84BD-4B99BC6B09A8Hereā€™s a picture I came across from an old photos page. It was from Benton Harbor, Michigan, but he didnā€™t know the date.

Not a total trad kustom but a complete clown-car either , the fadeaway and rear fender looks abit like -50 Jaguar XK120:ish and the hood looks like a -40 Ford DeluxeĀ  … Bumpers are ofcause -49 Plymouth and they were not shy adding bumper guards so a sportscustom build of the early fifties maybe ?! Fun to see these sports custom cars , some of them are really nice design , must have cost an arm and a leg back then building them out of close to new parts , USA were in hunger after sportscars clearly !

Wolf

Tinwolf
    Participant

I dont know any info on this beauty , guessing its a -40 Cadillac , I saw a progress picture (of possibly this one) years back and have been looking forward to it ever since , these pictures I found on HAMB site kustom blues thread , possibly from this years cars-show in Finland , does anyone know more /have more photos please post !

40Cadillac 4

40Cadillac 240Cadillac 140Cadillac 3

Wolf

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Yes its from Finland, created from a 4-door.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,456 through 1,470 (of 1,511 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.