Custom Car Chronicle

Plans to do a Hillman Minx 1953 mk v as a coachbuilt sports custom

Home Forums CCC Forum Plans to do a Hillman Minx 1953 mk v as a coachbuilt sports custom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    James D
    Participant

Ha, yeah i couldn’t believe they got that elephant Hemi into that tiny little Husky without even cutting it up.

James D
    Participant

With a small section. Not sure if it´s really worth the trouble, but you´re the one who has to do it.

Hillman-Minx-Mark-VII-side copy1

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

instead of  senctioning car a little darrin dip in the doors similar to Dave Tartaglia’s example could work…

anyhow James D you are spot on the morris roof… found this

http://www.myrideisme.com/Ride/tootall/830

and a smiliar styled but shorter roof on the Hillman would be dead on..

hillman specs are

Length: 4064 mm / 160 in
    Width: 1575 mm / 62 in
    Height: 1524 mm / 60 in
    Wheelbase: 2362 mm / 93 in

Morris Minor specs are

Length:  3,759 mm / 148 in
    Width:  1,524 mm / 60 in
    Height:  1,524 mm / 60 in
    Wheelbase: 2,184 mm / 86 in

in worst case minor roof is a little to narrow. hard to tell without measuring everything but shape is evidently there
    comparing your pic with the shopped morris minor…

sourced a morris donor car at a junkyard 1 1/2 hours from here i will try to make arrangements….

need a new decklid. thinking about either a volvo amazon that is narrowed  to make it more square the “v” shaped that it is now and laid flatter then on an amazon and maybe senction bottom part.. or a volvo pv decklid also narrowed to make it more square and shaped to fit…

either way i do not want it to look like its a volvo hillman bastard need to look like it belongs there and only way you can tell is by knowing…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    James D
    Participant

Excellent. Glad you managed to find a roof. Lets hope it works out. Where are you based?

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

Roof was still there so will go and pick it up pretty soon. roof was actually twice as expensive as the car . but thats still cheap though haha…

i live in sweden, 2 hours north of stockholm

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

convertible doors arrived today….

Attachments:
    James D
    Participant

Oh good score! Surely you can find a decklid, if you can find some rare doors like those?

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

Yes some other decklid shouldn’t be a problem to find.

really happy to find the doors, was in good condition will really nice to add to the car…

even having some new ideas. been looking on Lancia aurelia alot lately.. especially this chopped one… a fastback could be cool too.

eitherway i think i will start with making the convertible doors fit and strenghen door posts to handle the hardtop modification and remove roof and chop windscreen and measure
    a morris roof really good to se if it fits correctly ..

Attachments:
    Daemon Löfman
    Participant

Found the perfect donor roof.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Great… Looks like a Volkswagon 1600 Ponton top.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

That’s correct it’s a 1600 fastback roof.  Was really reasonable priced and close enough to be picked up.  Got close enough lines to make the build what I want to achieve.  Hopefully I will be able to get started week 33 with some work.

tony devey
    Participant

Good luck with the build Daemon, those doors were a result.

Mark
    Participant

Love these builds….watching with interest. Good luck with the build Daemon

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

Thanx Tony and Mark.
    I added a 1954 hillman californian to the garage yesterday. Along with. 3 pairs of ht/convert doors 3 hoods. A extra roof. 6 pairs of quarter windows and parts of rear fenders. 4 pairs of front fenders etc. So I guess I have to get 2 fordor parts car and build 4 cars now haha. Anyhow will be using some extra parts on the minx and also build the californian as something more nice than stock.

IMG_20190812_152737

James D
    Participant

Wow, that’s a really lucky find. It’d be interesting to chop a Californian, but i’d never thought you would find one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.