Custom Car Chronicle

Plans to do a Hillman Minx 1953 mk v as a coachbuilt sports custom

Home Forums CCC Forum Plans to do a Hillman Minx 1953 mk v as a coachbuilt sports custom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Daemon Löfman
    Participant

I’ve had a dream for some years to build an some sort of sports coupe / roadster  out of an not so common car, something english or french. would love to have had a simca 8, peugeot 203 convert, Ford comete monte carlo as a base to build it from but prices and availability is pretty off my limits…

Something similar that the early coachbuilders and custom shops like valley custom might have put out back in the day

I just ran into this Hillman Minx 1953 MK V saloon
    price was so good i couldnt afford to not buy it almost.

Its a little like an odd 1948 studebaker or something, pretty cute somewhat but leaves alot to the do list..

but anyhow i do see potential as it actually have some cool lines and potential

what exactly it will be is an ongoing plan so nothing set in stone right now.
    it will be very far away from a ratrod etc that’s for sure. i want it to be a coachbuild feeling with class and style . taking an cheap ugly duckling and turning it into something elegant and stylish.

It will run an 1952 oldsmobile 303 engine with lasalle transmission
    it will be a 2 door. lengthen doors or get convertible / californian doors

here are 4 pictures of the actual car.
    2 sketches from Hillman of their convertible minx

aswell as some pics found on the net of some convertibles and hillman californian
    both show the more potential of the minx then the 4 door but not exactly my plan. i mean i do not want to copy their other models i want something more…

eventhough its not exactly a simca 8 or ford comete montecarlo it has the potential to be something similar…

Any ideas are very welcome to hear.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Daemon Löfman
    Participant

some cars that inspired me to dream about a car like this

Attachments:
    James D
    Participant

What an excellent idea and great inspiration – I’m a massive fan of the Comete/Monte Carlo/Simca 8 too.

I’ll have a go with photoshop later on.

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

Ah very inspiring to hear, i love your photoshop stuff 🙂

on a side note its actually 16×3″ rims, 3 bolted and has 4x 16″ 5.00 firestone wheels in good condition,
    pretty hard size to come by these days.. these are not going to be on the car, will be 5 bolted wheels all around with some more stylewise fitting, probably would look better with 15″ wheels on the cars and 5.60 wheels .

and for the price of the car i basicly got 4 front wheels for my hotrods and other rims that hopefully will swallov some ford centers for 16×3″ wheels with 5×5.5″ bolt pattern 😀

the Hillman Actually run and drives as is now actually . paid something like 100 euro for the whole car!

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Sounds interesting, looking forward to follow the progress.

ARTMAN
    Participant

Little idea.. 😉

but it’s very little car!

28279547_10214953645490260_3jh38395906643920303_n

GoOd TiMeS !

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

Ahh thats a good start much better proportions.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Nice idea. How about something like this:

Hillman Minx  SC 08

James D
    Participant

You mentioned Valley Customs and coachbuilts, so i stayed away from the more usual Kustom touches.

I´m thinking finding a Morris Minor roof would get you off to a very good start too…

Hillman-Minx-Mark-VII-sideHillman Minx Mark VII side

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

James D – I didn’t think a Morris Minor roof could look good on anything, including the Morris.

But is sure looks great here.

James D
    Participant

Ah thanks Dave! Actually i just drew this roof up and only then realised it looked a bit like a Morris roof. This is probably a good bit smaller.

ARTMAN
    Participant

But I think that it would be necessary to make a sectionning! To find europeennes forms.. (France/Italie)

c28902904619d6b6c0c4be2b6b1f5f37

GoOd TiMeS !

James D
    Participant

I agree with Artman, the car could certainly lose 2″ from the body – although these are not the biggest cars, so i wonder if there would be enough room for Daemon and an Olds V8 motor and a section job as well.

Daemon Löfman
    Participant

Wow really inspiring all of them. plan is 2 seater so could probably get away with sectioning.

there are several hillman minx’es that has v8’s even hemis so should be possible even with sectioning.

worst case is to make a tiny bouble scoop like a thunderbird  or something for carbs..

i do have a pair of stromberg ww studebaker carbs laying about… i used to own a 2×2 edmunds instake with dual olds backdraft carbs but sold it like a year ago, didnt think i ever would need it, would have been nice in this car…

(source of hemi build hillman husky. from where pic is taken..

http://www.dougscars.com/hillman-husky-mk-i.html

)

here is the 303 that will go into the car, probably going to “de-hotrodify” the engine and have chrome valve covers instead of edelbrock.

Attachments:
    Daemon Löfman
    Participant

btw even an old saab roof might work to get the same flow as your example if i can’t get hold of a morris roof…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.