Custom Car Chronicle

Photoshop customs

Home Forums CCC Forum Photoshop customs

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 957 total)
  • Author
    Tinwolf
    Participant

I think a sectioning is a later modification then what I was thinking this would be built , however , I see the chop is on the heavy side and could be adjusted to abit less , then the -36-38 GM:s have a lower trunklid shape , in -40 this was raised , if the surroundings of the trunklid was cut out and raised then maybe the sidetrim could be extended abit . I try to like it the way it is but I got the itch to raise it abit on the longer roof , the shorter roof allows the trunklid to travel upwards so maybe not on the shorter roof  ?!

Wolf

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Clark Gable’s 1935 Duesenberg Model JN.

Gable took his new Rollston-bodied Duesenberg to coachbuilders Bohman & Schwartz for major customizing which he designed.  Gable himself went to their workshops and did some of the work himself!  Here’s a story on it:

Currently the car is in a cream white, but I colorized the B&W photo in a yellow.

Gable Duesy 99

Gable Duesy Final

James D
    Participant

Rover P4

Rpver P4 copy copy

Rover-75-Mille-Miglia-Eligible-11-1170x778

<span style=”border-radius: 2px; text-indent: 20px; width: auto; padding: 0px 4px 0px 0px; text-align: center; font: bold 11px/20px ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: #ffffff; background: #bd081c no-repeat scroll 3px 50% / 14px 14px; position: absolute; opacity: 1; z-index: 8675309; display: block; cursor: pointer; top: 604px; left: 20px;”>Save</span>

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Nice colorizing on the Duesenberg Dave.

And those lines on that Rover are really sweet James. Can you post the original photo next to it, so that we can compare.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

I like the coupe conversion on the P4, James. The side trim is a nice touch.

James D
    Participant

I like the coupe conversion on the P4, James. The side trim is a nice touch.

I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of chrome trims. They can really help to take visual height out of the car and give the impression of a light section job.

The really off looking thing on these Rovers is the massive hump on the bonnet and boot lids. The bottom of the screen has a pronounced curve that doesn´t match the top at all. When you chop one it gets really exaggerated. I suppose you could flatten it out, but what a hideous job that would be!

Still at least the bonnet is nice and long, unlike most British cars from back then. Really helps to balance the (re)design.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

The 1947 Ford F1 was not the prettiest face in the company lineup that year. Here is a digital restyling using the Ford parts-bin. I rearranged the lights to widen the face and de-crowned (but not chopped) the top. Removed some hood trim. And the bumper is a Mercury unit.
    Have you figured out the grille?

47 Ford F1 Final

Tom Nielsen
    Participant

Grille kind of looks like a ’55 Imperial or Chrysler 300 turned sideways.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Actually it’s two ’48 Lincoln grilles – one flipped upside down.

It works in 2D, but those grilles are curved and would have to be recessed if used like that. Or better still, outer frame custom made to fit and chromed with any egg-crate center.

Here’s the original truck for comparison:47 Ford F1 99

Tom Nielsen
    Participant

Your redesign of this year pickup really helps its looks!  Getting the headlights further out on the fender and the ’48 Lincoln grilles with the Mercury bumper help improve that “big and flat” front end.

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Love it.  In Canada, the Mercury form of this truck was a big improvement.  Now, we can imagine what a Lincoln rendition of the truck should have looked like.  Love your digital dreams, Dave.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Tom and Larry, Thanks for the kind words. I had forgotten the Canadian Mercury, definitely an improvement over the US version.

I posted this restyle on Facebook Mild Customs group and everyone had an opinion!  I knew I would get love-it-or-hate-it reactions. I like doing ugly-duckling restyles. I have tons of little car mags from the fifties and study them often. Though there were many custom trucks restyled back then, I can’t recall anyone ever doing a 1946-47!

Today, most truck guys go for a resto-rod approach. For me, it’s kustom all the way, even though this one was just a mild custom.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I had this idea on my mind for some time.
    When I was working on a clients more Matranga style chop of a ’39 Mercury and I was repositioning the roof I noticed how much shorter the rear quarter windows get when chopping the ’39-40 Mercury coupes. When chopping the ’49-51 Mercury’s one of the styles is to stretch the rear quarter windows after chopping to keep them in the stock position, and keep the original rear location of the top.

So I was wondering how that would look on a ’40 mercury, stretch the rear quarter windows, to have them end at about the stock location, and stretch and reshaped the roof to go with that. To make it all work and get better flow and proportions I decided a few inch longer doors would look better. And stretched fenders would help with the lines as well.
    Just a few low res sketches… perhaps one day if I find a nice larger side view photo of a ’40 Mercury Coupe I will go all the way.

Stretched rear fenders

Stretched front and rear fenders.

Somebody on Facebook suggested to channel the body over the frame to get the bottom of the body at the same level as the bottom of the fenders… Makes it look really long.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Nice work, Rik!

They all look good, but I prefer the version with running boards and side trim. I like to keep some of the stock styling that caught my eye in the first place.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

1962 Jaguar Mk II custom saloon-to-coupe conversion.

This one took on a life of its own during the redesign. I started by lowering the car to get the proportions right as I progressed with the restyle. Converted to two-door coupe. When I started chopping the top, I had originally planned to smooth it into the boot line. But part way through, I got this funny reverse angle when the top came down.  I immediately thought of Dick Teague’s 1953 Balboa show car for Packard. So I kept it!

Jag MK II Balboa Final

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 957 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.