Home Forums CCC Forum Old Irish customs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rik Hoving 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

WG
    Participant

Came across this cool old photo recently , registration is 1953 ,Co.Mayo , Ireland.

With very few exceptions , Irish regs are non-transferable & are on the car from new ,so are a good way of dating a car.

A highly unlikely location for an early custom , it appears to be a highly modified (’48-’53) E493A Ford Prefect ,channelled , turned into a coupe etc etc. Builder must surely have seen some early US magazines ?

Original Fords of this era would have been built in Cork ,Ireland in RHD as this car is.

Photo I suspect dates from mid-late 1950’s , I don’t have any other information or photos.

Perhaps a photoshop expert can figure out what modifications have been done to it !

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

WG
    Participant

Another old Irish photo I came across , at first glance it looks like an early Nash Healey sportscar ,but I suspect it’s a kind of “sports custom” inspired by the Nash Healey ,built on a RHD 1940’s/ early 1950’s English Ford Anglia or the longer Prefect chassis ,judging by the slotted wheel rims( they were the basis of many specials in UK )

Interesting to see the gas/petrol brand “Losbitos” , an American brand that was sold in parts of UK & Ireland apparently….also the Firestone tyre sign (note UK/Irish spelling of tire ! ) which seems to have an Irish map on it.

Cool car ,but unfortunately no other photos or information…….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

James D
    Participant

The Prefect looks like it might have been turned into a truck, although you´d not think they´d have bothered to alter the grille too if that was the case, so maybe it´s a coupe?

WG
    Participant

Good point , though can’t really see the upper perimeter edge if it was a truck & seems quite roundy. Looks as if the original Prefect rear roof section was shunted forwards ,suspect the car’s rear view mightn’t have been as “handsome” as the front ! Front fenders seem raised up & closer to the bonnet shutline ,as well as being extended onto the doors & rear fenders are heavily “blended” in too , lots of  work for sure…

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Very interesting for sure to see these early retyled cars from Ierland. The Prefect sure looks to be turned into a coupe, and looks almost like it has front fenders turned around on the back, or soething like that. The extended front fenders into the doors is interesting as well. As you mention, a lot of work…

The Prefct also reminds me a bit about cars that were created shortly after the war in some European Countries, when basically no new parts were available. Some car enthusiats would piece together parts from all kind of different wrecked cars to create one drivable car.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.