Custom Car Chronicle

New guy intro and wheel cover ID query

Home Forums CCC Forum New guy intro and wheel cover ID query

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Talbot
    Participant

All,

Thought I’d better into myself and say g’day before asking for assistance.   I’m located in Melbourne Australia and have been a fan of 40’s and early 50’s customs since I was a kid. I have recently taken early retirement and picked up a stock 41 Ford convert for ‘restyling’. I’m aiming for a 40’s early 50’s mild look

This leads me to my query: Can someone tell me more about these aftermarket wheel covers?

I was told Calnevar and they fit the stock 16″ rims on the Ford nicely. Before I part with big chunks of $$$ to restore them, I’d like to be sure of their age.

Any assistance appreciated.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Hi Talbot, welcome.
    I’d say you’re on to something there. Not sure when those were available, but I would think near enough to your build parameters. They would be worth restoring in my opinion. I have one, but has a single bar fliper. Only need 3 more!
    Mitch

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Hello Talbot, welcome

As for the hubcaps. I’m not sure who made them, possibly they were available from several companies. So far I have never been able to connect a name to them. These hubcaps were very popular. in the early 1950’s Perhaps they were already available in the late 1940’s as well. They came as you have them, smooth, but also with two holes drilled in them and a flipper added. Same hubcap though. (The flipper part indicates that these must have been available in the later part of the 1940’s.)

The Valley Custom Shop used these hubcaps on many of their restyled customs. They as well as many others, including me, really love the simplicity of these hubcaps. Smooth with just the right amount of detail.
    I say go for it.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

Welcome. And I give you bonus points for calling them wheel covers. Sorry I can’t help the id.

Are they chrome not stainless?

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Here are a few vintage Customs that use these Wheel Covers.

Talbot
    Participant

duplicate post

Talbot
    Participant

Welcome. And I give you bonus points for calling them wheel covers. Sorry I can’t help the id. Are they chrome not stainless?

Tony,

Thanks for the bonus points! Unfortunately they are not stainless. I had a Calnevar pair some 15 years back and they were plated also. I’m rethinking  a few of my plans based on the high (at least more than I expected) cost of chrome.

I’d love some flippers, but the simplicity of these (as well as the uniqueness) really appeals.

Rik,

Thanks for the inspiration and appreciate the effort involved. Many thanks!

Thanks all for the advice and input – I’ll go for it!

Tony
    Participant

Getting good chrome done is very difficult compared with decades past. And because of the difficulty (pollution etc. laws) it has become much more expensive as well. The last place I used was in Coffs Harbour. All the ones in town closed.

But…compared with the overall cost of a car, getting some things right like these can be very worth it in the big picture.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I was looking at one ( with added flipper) in reasonable cond, on a mate’s wall two days ago. He also has a 40s ripple disk with flipper. I said I’d buy the latter when I get some cash, just to stick on my wall. He said he’d be rea$onable. Perhaps I can get a better look next week .

Talbot
    Participant

Fingers crossed for you Quentin. Post pics when you can!

Talbot
    Participant

Talbot
    Participant

Came out OK

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Looks really great.

Talbot
    Participant

Talbot
    Participant

Thanks Rik!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.