Custom Car Chronicle

My take on a shoebox custom – or – The never ending story

Home Forums CCC Forum My take on a shoebox custom – or – The never ending story

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    kustomland
    Participant

Martin…..I surely agree…..The shoe Box can go both ways full kustom as we have seen from past cars built in the day.. To just mild change here and there….. None the less you could build 100 kustoms from this model and I find my self liking aspects from every one built.
    And to be honest they even look awesome smashed / wrecked just like the one Brad Masterson did that was in that head one crash caught on camera.. That car looked like ” CHRISTINE ” when they did the photo shoot of it smashed in the garage with a light inside showing shadows…..It still looked like a sweet ride all injid.
    That’s a nice touch rounding the corners on the gas cap.
    As for the TU-TONE TRIMS I found Rik has an interest in this type of vintage accessory’s and I only know because I had a conversation with Rik about TU-TONE TRIM with him. There were a few after market ones that were pretty fancy maybe Rik has some shots of NEW OLD STOCK BOXES with the little black and white photo showing ” BEFOR ” and cha-ching ” AFTER ” There just interesting to see what was on offer. Tho im sure Rik could do a whole article on this also……. May be if we drop a hint Rik may whip one up for us to get some eye candy on.

None the less Martin no matter how your Ford turns out….Your in your chariot that is an extension of your personality and your having fun and cruzing and the many hours just pondering what you could do next, wish to do, dream of , and get around to doing those things.
    Ive always admired you guys because what many don’t even understand is it cost you 10 times more to build a car let alone a kustom due to your geographical location, currency ect. You don’t have the options to just go to P-TOWN GOODGYS SHOW ” PLEASENTON ” or POMONA swap or even just cruz over to some ones house for a deal you found buy a flipper hub car or skirts or a bumper to cut up.
    So big thumbs up Martin… Keep it going

Or as LARRY WATSON would say when he pulled up at the lights to my pal CHUCK in his kustom BUICK from the ” EMPERORS ” VICTORVILLE……… ” WERE ON THE SAME TEAM MAN…..WITH A BIG SMILE “……!!!
    KUSTOMLAND

Martin
    Participant

Been laying low for a while with the project but this May and June I got approached by a friend, whom had my shoebox in his shop for some body repairs, with a suggestion to repaint the car in a more solid color then the washed out and scratched black I have been riding with since I bought the car almost 10 years ago. I agreed and shortly after I went on a long vacation to Japan. After coming back my friend have been in constant work on getting the roof straight. Seems the shoebox had seen some serious abuse during it’s lifetime. He also straightened out some other dents and blemishes before we got to decide what color to paint her in.
    Ever since I bought the shoebox I had always had a wish to paint it in a maroon red. After going through some paint samples we decided on an industrial color that would be darker then the interior but still being a good match. The result and turn out was great! Too finally see the car in something else then the dull black took a while to get around. But it grew and grew on me the more I stared on the car. My friend who also had looked on the same red in the samples agreed that this was the best choice and that the result was outstanding. It really blends in with the two-tone greyish color and all the chrome and stainless shows really well. The interior also became more notable with the maroon color on the outside. But there are still small dents and blemishes left to work out, the old black paintjob did a good job on hiding everything.
    But I will probably ride along in this “project-color 2.0” for a few years before deciding what to do next. I think the headliner will be my next issue to address.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Oh yeah… Martin… Looks good with the new maroon paint.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

pkerit
    Participant

That sure looks nice. How did you lower the back of the car?

Martin
    Participant

Some more pictures of the shoebox dressed up with the stuff that we took off when doing the paint job.

@rik-hoving
    Thanks Rik! It really lifted the car to new heights.
    @pkerit I think I used a set of 4″ lowering springs in the rear coupled with 2″ lowering blocks. Aerostar springs up front.

Attachments:
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    pkerit
    Participant

Thank you for the response. I have 3″ blocks on my Crestliner and it sits awful high. Is it difficult to change a rear tire on yours? Are you past the scrub line?

Attachments:
    Martin
    Participant

Yes it is a bit difficult to change the rear tires. I have to put some plastic on the wheel when getting them of as not to damage the white walls. No I’m not past the scrub line. There are quite a few inches left πŸ™‚

You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Martin
    Participant

The project rolls on and new for this season is the new headliner! I ordered the headliner and wind lace from the good fellows over at LeBaron Bonney. I was extremely satisfied with their service and they helped along with sending samples and trying to find materials and colors to match as closely to what I had on the door panels and sofas.

After receiving the headliner I got help to install it, but it was a bit of a struggle as I had chosen a thick vinyl. Hopefully the wrinkles that is will straighten out with time and heat. All in all I’m satisfied and happy with the bright outlook! Really love the color scheme of the interior when cruising in the street lights at night.

You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Very nice!

Andymarquez83
    Participant

Congrats on the well deserved price at Dusters time travel meet!

Martin
    Participant

Thanks Andy! I was quite shocked to get the award as I wasn’t expecting it. Glad that people like what I have created πŸ™‚

Attachments:
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.