Custom Car Chronicle

My take on a shoebox custom – or – The never ending story

Home Forums CCC Forum My take on a shoebox custom – or – The never ending story

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Håkan Andersson
    Participant

Martin,,hey ,, Thanks for the kind words ! ,, here is a pic of your grille in early progress. That also shows the ,,by then ,, “pointy centre piece” !
    As a before + after shot. Your car will be stunning!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Martin
    Participant

Thanks Stephen! The steering wheel is the original 49-50 Ford steering wheel with the center horn button for the 50. Then I painted it up with the red stripes and a such.

Thanks for the words and the before picture Håkan. It’s really cool to be hanging out with people who thinks the same regarding car design as one selves does. I’m really looking forward on seeing the new grille with the smoothed top bar and the mercury horns.

You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Martin
    Participant

“The slowest shoebox custom project” is having a summer update! With this update I wanted to also include some before shots to accompany the new ones for the season. Man.. Looking at this pictures really gives me some perspective of how far I have gone with the planning and execution of my shoebox custom project. At times when you just stares yourself blind on all the details and just feels nothing has happened this is quite the eye opener.

I gotta say that the California black and yellow plates really did give that little extra to both the front bumper and for the rear (thanks Gregg!). Now I’m stoked to get going with the other mods I have in mind!
    “The slowest shoebox custom project” is rolling along..

Attachments:
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Martin
    Participant

Let me know if I should shrink the pictures to a more “bite size” size…

You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    KingKustoms
    Participant

I like what you did on the front end- the Merc guards, ’51 bumper, ’52 grill pieces…it really gives it an early ’50s “little pages” look and I can see it pictured in a lineup of custom ideas for the shoebox Ford 🙂

Are you planning on a chop eventually? Great interior, by the way!

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Martin
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words Rob! The goal has always been aimed at a concept/little pages custom. Something smooth with ideas borrowed from the newer models up till ’54. I have some more custom ideas I wanna ad on the car before an eventual top chop. And if I would do a chop it would be a mild one. I will go through Rik at first to get some photoshops to get me going if i decide to go that way.
    Thanks on the interior! Just the headliner left and a custom made carpet, just gotta figure out where I wanna go with the roof before mounting the headliner.. One idea is to do as Pat Ganahl did on his shoebox and keep the roof stock but make the rear windows one piece.

You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Justin Kudolla
    Participant

The ’52 Mercury wheel-covers will look great, Martin!

Trend Books Custom Cars Annuals
    www.trendcustomcars.com

Martin
    Participant

I’m a slow builder that is for sure.. But here comes some updated pictures of what has been going on.

New for the season is the addition of; Lincoln Buttons, -52 Ford front fenderlips, -51 Ford Crestliner trim and a two-tone color with an additional paint (It’s still in a project paint phase. Still has to do the rust repairs and all alignments before going big time).

The Crestliner trim and two-tone paintjob really made a big change for the better in my opinion! I sure was a bit unsure when I started to drill all the holes for the trim (50 holes aprox) but all my worries vanished when I saw it after paint. The -52 fender lips really blends in well with the Crestliner trim and the two-tone. I haven’t taken any pictures of it with the -52 Merc hubcaps but it looks really nice with all that shine mounted.

You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Looks very good Martin. I love the use of the Crestline trim in combination with the 52 Ford fender lip, and the way that lip matches the fender skirts. NICE.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

James D
    Participant

Great looking car. I’m thinking that as you have used the Crestline trim, that if you do chop it, you ought to make sure that the chop matches the shape of the trim in some way. Something like this maybe…?

Attachments:
    kustomland
    Participant

Hi Martin, I love your ride and the TU-TONE looks real nice and the idea was great…….. I just thought that the side profile with the straight side trim goes to far forward just a little….Were the paint curves off behind your rear bumper is to much space….. Maybe if you just scooted the straight trim not all the way back but just enough to make the gap not so out there and suttle.The front trim goes all the way to you chrome and finishes it off nice….
    Gosh the stance is sweet…….. And a chop would be just perfect…
    Martin do you like your gas cap..?? Just asking…?
    Because you have a clean side profile id weld the cap shut and have it in the trunk…..
    That tail light steak would look good if you smoothed the quarter panel and made a splash pan in the rear and mounted your back bumper a few inches out a little with the chop and flow with the trim and your car would look longer then it really was….
    Your on the right track with the flow of your trim but with out the chop it looks boxy still…….

I don’t think its the never ending story martin your doing just great……..!!!! Look at it as you building the perfect lady……..lol.
    kustomland

bob tindale
    Participant

Car looks great. Looking forward to more.

Martin
    Participant

@Kustomland

Thanks for the reflection Kustomland! It’s a lot of thought behind this build and sometimes I take brakes from it because of other parts in life interrupting, thereof the Never ending story. ^^
    The stance is quite nice, it can traverse most speed bumps here in Sweden and it’s rolling well with my custom idea 🙂
    A chop is something that is in my thoughts but I don’t know if it is something I want to do at this moment. It’s a lot work and as I’m not a good metal man I would need to have this job done by someone who knows what he does. Maybe one day.. The photoshop done by “James Ath” (the post above) is what I probably would go with. A discreet chop with perhaps a slight lean on the B-pillar. Just enough to give the car some more mystery attitude and the feeling of a concept car.

One thought that went through my mind about the side trim was to maybe use the -51’s trim as it wraps itself around the car, and thereof giving the TU-tone a more natural “barrier”. But by that time I had already gone with the shortened side trim that is mounted and I didn’t want to go through with the work on welding shut all the drilled holes to align for the -51 trim. I had also ordered the side trim from the states as the car didn’t have any side trim with all the holes welded shut when I bought it. Going with the Crestliner trim was a bit of happen stance as I ran upon it over at a friends shop the other year.
    One idea I have is to paint a thin white line with One-Shot to make a line between the two colors.

I’m planning on keeping the gas cap. The idea if this build is to make it not to extreme and keeping some of the comforts and functionality. That’s why I went with the Lincoln buttons and keeping the door locks. But the gas cap is getting a make over with rounded corners and a better curve than original to match the contour of the body. I also have the trunk opening wire inside of the gas cap.

Hmm, I don’t really catch what you mean with the tail light steak and smoothed quarters? Something along the lines of the 52-54 fords?
    I like the original design of the shoboxes and don’t want to derive to far away from the original concept. The back end of a shoebox with that trunk, the windsplits and the cat eyes is in my eyes quite a spot on perfect design from the designer who made the shoebox. [See the added picture]

Regarding the boxiness of the car, it’s still a shoebox and I don’t know if I want to strip it of it’s personality to much as said. 🙂
    Besides, I’m from Sweden, the land of the rectangular blocks of cars developed by Volvo. By which I drive one myself to and off from work.. A big dark red container of a car with trunk big enough to haul almost two wood pallets with parts and what not.

The story of the Miss.Fortune goes on…

Attachments:
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Martin
    Participant

Looks very good Martin. I love the use of the Crestline trim in combination with the 52 Ford fender lip, and the way that lip matches the fender skirts. NICE.

Thanks Rik and thank you for the help on the photoshop done for me a while back. It has been a great visionary help to keep me focused 🙂

Great looking car. I’m thinking that as you have used the Crestline trim, that if you do chop it, you ought to make sure that the chop matches the shape of the trim in some way. Something like this maybe…?

Great idea James! It’s a cool thing when cars and customizers tries to have a theme. A red line going through everything, making it mysterious and creating an attraction to the details put into it. Thus you don’t always must use the most extreme techniques of customizing to make a car attracting and interesting.
    I like how you slanted the B-piller just a little! If I go ahead and do a top chop that might very well be a feature I will add.

Car looks great. Looking forward to more.

Thanks Bob! I’ll be sure to post updates as I go on 🙂

You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
    Martin
    Participant

I’ll add a few pictures taken during “the Rat Fink Reunion” show I attended this weekend here in Sweden. It was the first time appearance for the missus to the public after the addition of the fenderlips, lincoln buttons and crestliner TU-tone job. It felt nice to have her out in the open once more.

Attachments:
    You'll never be late
    If it's a "V8"
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.