Custom Car Chronicle

My Custom In Progress

Home Forums CCC Forum My Custom In Progress

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 263 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

I like the idea of a Carson top and chop, but how about chopping the factory chop.? Mind you I would gather lots of info prior to attempting it. Perhaps someone else has a tech on it. I know that just shortening up the 46 top I have to suit my 39 has burned up billions of brain cells. You cut one bit and it affects another.
    I really like the tail light pods. A bit mid 50s Eldo. . .

Eric H
    Participant

Thanks Quentin. Here is a small update.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    mark wojcik
    Participant

Smooth metalworking there, Eric!

Eric H
    Participant

Thanks Marc.

Eric H
    Participant

Got my sombreros converted and mounted as well as installing a set of Ford Aerostar coils to get the front down a bit.

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Looks good Eric.
    I bet working on these cosmetic details gets you really motivated on the more major parts of the restyling.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Eric H
    Participant

Thanks Rik! Yes it’s funny how the little things can be so inspiring.

Eric H
    Participant

Few more.

Attachments:
    Eric H
    Participant

Some October cruise pics.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Lookin real good Eric.I’m also diggin the background on the photos.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

As jeff already said… Looking real good.

Stance is perfect.

These new pictures made me go back to a few other pictures you posted. And I have a feeling that the two Mer bullets on the front bumper need to be lowered a little more… like an inch or so.. or where the lower edge of the bullet is level with the lower edge of the rib on the bumper. Then they will not stick out to far over the top of the bumper and make the grille look better at the same time… Personal observation though.

Eric H
    Participant

Thanks for the compliments guys. It’s funny Rik, I have been thinking about the height of the Merc bullets for a while and I think you have a good point. I actually tried to put about ten pictures up but they did not work. I realized after the fact that they needed to be scaled down. Did you fix these two Rik.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Yes I fixed the last two you put on there.
    Images need to be smaller than 2MB, otherwise they will not upload. But its better to use images at 1000 pix wide or so.
    Then the whole image will show once you click the thumbnail.

If I see the large images being uploaded I always try to downsize them… which I can do on the backside of the site. But then I do not always have the time to do this.

Eric H
    Participant

Thanks Rik.

john tomaszewski
    Participant

Eric. I ran my own custom car shop for 20 years before retiring. In that time I had the privilege of being able to chop a number of vehicles. Just my 2 cents in case your seriously considering chopping your Ford. I did a ’50 Merc convertible for a customer and after studying the top mechanism I determined that I could just LOWER the rear arm attaching assembly and move it ahead, which if memory serves me right about 2 inches to line up with the 3 in. windshield chop. NO BOWS WERE CUT. The entire top assembly was just re=fitted to the new opening. The assembly was lowered about 3 to 4 inches to get the desired roof taper and like I mentioned earlier, ahead about 2 inches. When the new top was sewn, it was sewn to the new measurements, which was really just the rear bottom area. The rear quarter glass and frames had to be redone regardless, so they were just fitted to the new area. The window crank area was never disturbed. Being that no bows were remade the assy. worked perfectly when done. Check this out before cutting anything. Those main bows are cast and will have to be remade if you cut them. I’m thinking that the same engineering was most likely used between the Fords and Mercs. during this time. Good luck …. John T …

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 263 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.