Custom Car Chronicle

My 48 Plymouth Custom build

Home Forums CCC Forum My 48 Plymouth Custom build

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Brian Arcella
    Participant

Sorry for not posting any updated pictures on my build. I’ve mainly been in scavenger hunt mode finding parts and pieces. I secured all the sheet metal I need with the exception of the decklid but I’m not sweating that too much right now.

So I have been working around the shop a little so today I decided to finish up cleaning and repainting the tig machine. I blows my mind how anyone could let such an expensive piece of equipment get in such poor condition, dust and dirt are part of being in a body shop I get that but the rust? So I was sanding away and figured well if you’re going to do this you might as well do it right. So after removing the side panels I found that it doubled as a mouse condo in the former owners shop……lol No fried mouse carcasses were found. I spent two hours with a flashlight going over every single wire making sure there were no little teeth marks.

Another example of the many little(!) chores that need attention before we can get to the big tasks!  Good to be thorough though..  Hurry and get back to the custom!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Well yesterday was road trip day drove down to Glen Burnie Maryland to pick up my sheet metal from a member of another messageboard who was nice enough to meet the seller at his job and bring them to his shop saving me a lot of time and gas. So now I have all the sheetmetal  to start construction or well most of it anyway. I’m still looking to acquire a few more rear fenders as I am planning on stretching and reshaping the rear fenders and back section of the car to give it that “swoopy” look ( a custom car builder term so I’ve been told) 

I made a smart move on the advice of my friend Mark to drop it all off at my friends shop in Newfield NJ for media blasting as I was almost passing right by it on my way home, nothing beats working on nice clean metal.

Torchie
    Participant

Moving forward!

The little critters can get in anywhere. I found the carcass of one Inside a Buick nailhead that I was tearing down for a rebuild once.

How it got down into the oil pan always made me wonder as the engine was well sealed with all the covers and caps and air cleaner in place.

Torchie

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I found the perfectly preserved skeleton of a mouse in the heater blower fan ( that looks just like a mouse wheel) when I was restoring my 59eldorado conv . I figured it must’ve died with a smile on it’s tiny mouse face.

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Ok sorry it’s been awhile since I posted any updated pics of my build. Nothing radical or earth shattering but got my newly aquired sheet metal back from media blasting and and well just like when a woman takes off her make up media blasting reveal a lot of ugly P/S rear fender is waffled and was full of bondo, both fronts look like swiss cheese at the bottoms but I can work with them unless really nice one’s come along for next to nothing….lol

Checked the placement of the front wheel in the wheel opening on the stock chassis just to check and see how far off my calculations were when I made the cut for the chassis stretch, happy to say I was right on the money.

Well we were expecting a big snow storm this weekend here in the north east so I decided no way was the old jalopy going to be outside so I singlehandedly managed to get it inside the shop and proceeded with the help of the “shop Manager” aka my son Dominick removed all the body bolts (what a joke) and the body is now free of the chassis ready to be supported on 4×4’s

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Brian Arcella
    Participant

<b>Well did  mention how frustrating it can be when other people who really shouldn’t be working on cars do some really stupid stuff. I was on the creeper under the car getting ready to remove the last two bolts from the frame and I think now thats odd nuts instead of bolts so I look in the truck for a plug or a hole so I can attach a socket and well there ain’t one because some genius welded in panels right over the bolt holes. If that wasn’t enough I started to jack the rear of the body up with a couple of 2×4’s and a floor jack and the whole car is lifting up so I spot another body bushing so of course no access hole so I break out my trust grinder with the 4″ cutoff wheel and remove a section of the truck floor and no bolt I am like WTH is goin on here upon further investigation I found where the mensa society reject had siliconed body bushings to the frame and the body one good grunt and lift on the prybar and the body broke free. Enough for today need to stop and get some 8foot 4×4’s to support the body so I can drag the old frame out from underneath it, with a little bit of luck possibly Mark and the guys will be able to help me swing the S10 chassis under the body and we can jack it up into place so I can fab all the new body mounts, which will be done the right way and secured more than finger tight</b>

Attachments:
    Brian Arcella
    Participant

20171216_143658<b>Well a short build upgrade I know it’s riveting isn’t it…….lol well anyway the body and frame are now officially divorced. It was an ugly battle right down to the wire, I read on the P15 form where the steering column shaft separates from the steering box well someone forgot to tell that to the guy on the Plymouth assembly line back in 1948 because as hard as I tried I could not separate that shaft from the box until my friend the 4″ angle grinder with a cut off wheel  came to the rescue. The guys are stopping by tomorrow afternoon and we’ll lower it and stabilize on the stand so I can break out the plasma cutter I just got from my friend Mark tonight and cut out the truck floor. Then finish the body cart and its off to media blasting</b>

20171216_143817

Torchie
    Participant

Don’t worry. We are all watching. 🙂

Got to get thru the boring stuff to get to the exciting stuff.

Looking good with good progress. Keep at it.

Torchie

Brian Arcella
    Participant

It’s been awhile since I posted some updates on my build so I figured I would  show some of my progress, the body is finally off the chassis which has been sliced and diced and a few of the stock parts went to help a guy with his restoration project and put a few dollars in the kitty

20171216_143658

Lets just say when I cut the frame up I knew I had made the right decision to use the S10 chassis as the stock one was loaded with rust and it literally poured out onto the ground when I stood the frame up on end

20171216_143817

Removing the body was a bit of automotive archaeology in as it revealed a lot about the person or persons who worked on the car previously, it speaks to someone’s skills when they weld homemade floor sections over body mounts and decided who needs bolt and siliconed two body mounts in place I kid you not.

20180127_171940

I’m using 3″ lowering blocks for mock up purposes right now as you can see I have 8″ between the top of the axle and the bottom of the frame so I am planning on C Notching the frame just how much I am not sure yet. You can see by the 19″ between the bottom of the frame and the shop floor I have a ways to go to get the stance I’m looking for who knows maybe 4″ drop leafs with blocks. I am planning on running airbags as helpers to raise it up just enough for these great New Jersey roads (Thats a joke for those of you who have never been here)

20180127_171825

Just a side shot of the unfinished chassis to give somewhat of Idea of how it be sitting that 11″ will decrease I’m sure with weight of the 575lb Small block Chevy plus the bellhousing and transmission I have to factor in the added height with the 15″ tires (26″) to determine if I am going to run the 2″ drop spindles or not

20180128_154933

I borrowed a little something from the Kopper Kart build by my friend Mark where I used the center section of the stock frame to make a body cart, What fits the body better than the original frame right. Mark told me great minds think alike I don’t know if I’d got that far but it was a time and money saver.

20180128_163342

I finished up the day by getting the body mounted to the cart, might not seem like a lot but when you work by yourself most of the time its somewhat of a milestone. Always trying to keep the momentum going and pushing the build forward. I had to burn a few vacation days this week so I’ll be out in the shop getting her stripped down for media blasting. Then the real fun begins revealing a multitude of sins I’m sure, but as with anything else one section at time. I would really like to have it running by the end of summer but as we all know life sometimes gets in the way, so she may not be going to Kustoms by Flash for the chop under her own power but we shall see.

Torchie
    Participant

Like the body cart idea!

Good progress. I always enjoy seeing something other then a Ford or GM product getting the custom treatment.

Most of us work alone so sometimes you have to get real creative when doing things. My shop is set up so that I can lift and move things around by myself. In the case of something real big or awkward I do have a younger guy that I can count on to help when I call.

Keep at it!

Torchie

Brian Arcella
    Participant

<b>Well been a while since I’ve posted any pictures of the build but today my friend Joe and I went down to pick the body up from media blasting. It doesn’t look too bad well that’s as long as you don’t look too close. I’ happy that is back and I can move forward. Next step, take the plasma cutter to the trunk floor and then put the body on the frame to locate and fab the body mounts</b>

Attachments:
    Torchie
    Participant

Looks good. We have all seen a lot worse.

Looking forward to your progress.

Torchie

Brian Arcella
    Participant

<b>Well spent some time out in the shop today have the body sitting on the chassis some what to get final wheelbase measurements  and then body mount placement. </b>

<b>Tomorrow is going to be Plasma Sunday, finish cutting the floor to assure body placement. I have to devise some sort of rig for taking the body on and off because doing it with floor jacks by myself it a PIA to say the least. A little progress but as long as its progress thats all that matters </b>

Attachments:
    Torchie
    Participant

Keep at it. I have seen people use Cherry Pickers(Engine hoist) to do that job.

The arm goes in to the door opening and then some timber frame work that hits the top of the door opening when you pump up the hoist.

I work alone a lot so I have set up a number of different ways to lift things. I have reinforced a couple of roof trusses and with the use of a support beam for extra measure I can pick up most anything that can fit in my shop.

Here are some pics of me flipping over the current boat project I am working on. I could have done this my self but it went faster with someone manning the other chain fall.

Torchie

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.