Custom Car Chronicle

My "37 Chevy truck build

Home Forums CCC Forum My "37 Chevy truck build

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Yeah using a HVLP and as mention 6 coats ended up being exactly the same colour as the straight colour so too much paint. It ended up that all the rest was just a waste of materials. Thanks again for the advise.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well it has been a while since I updated anything here so I figureed why not :). We just had our Victoria Day long weekend and for a change the weather was beautiful so I took advantage and got the cab, doors and hood ready and reprimed them.

20170523_133325

20170523_133332

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I’m really happy to see new progress on your project Ian.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

HAHA me too Rik. I have been doing small stuff all winter and have some other photos I need to get off my old phone (just got a new one after dropping my old one) and will post when I do. I was really procrastinating on this part though so it is good to have it out of the way.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I cleaned up my headers to have ceramic coated and cleaned up and did a bit of a polish on my intake manifold both time consuming projects. I have also been slowly trying to figure out a headliner and related bits.

IMG_20170416_151512

IMG_20170312_151927

mike sutton
    Participant

so glad to see you back at this! was really enjoying the build and know how discouraged you got for awhile. i hope it’s smooth sailing for you from here forward. can’t wait to see some updates.

Torchie
    Participant

Glad to see you back at it as well Ian.

Headliners on trucks can be fun given that most didn’t have them or at best a fibre board liner.

What’s the plans for the paint?

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I have no illusions it will be smooth sailing Mike but that is par for the course when building customs it seems LOL.

My plans for paint Torchie….. well I am going to try and combine the gold powder and clear with the colour I have left and use it as a single colour. I mixed a bit up in the fall and it looked pretty good in the cup but never got a chance to spray it. When I dug it out this spring to try and spray the gold powder had oxidized and turned the whole thing  green so I will have to mix up another small batch to see how it goes.

I am a little concerned with the amount of product I have so I am contemplating not spraying the inside of the box and the tops of the running boards at first to see how much paint I have left. I am planning some sort of rubber cover for the running boards so that won’t be a big deal if they are not body coloured and if I run out of paint I was thinking I could spray the inside of the box white and it wouldn’t look too bad especially if I can find some white rubber for the running board covers. I did find a place that had it in New York but they won’t take Canadian credit cards so my search continues on that as well and the longer it takes the more expensive it becomes as the Canadian Dollar continues to plummet. 🙁

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Don’t weaken, Ian!  Spring springs eternal in the hearts of us northern customizers.  So glad you are able to get back at it.  Sure was a long, cold and snowy, winter.  You have a big cheering section.  And a great example of perseverance in the face of adversities in Mike Sutton!  Not to mention wise counsel from Torchie.

Not much in the way of wise council – or perseverance for that matter – from me, but I too am glad to see you are getting ready for the big stuff again!  Best of luck with the colour this time around!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Torchie
    Participant

For the running boards did you find a ribbed white rubber Ian or are you looking at the pyramid style?

Also. Are you going to stitch up a cover for the truck bed? Or does that not fit into your build time period/style.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks Larry and Dave! I have learned to just forget about stuff after a few days. It annoys me to no end at first but it is what it is. I had ZERO previous experience in anything related to building a custom before this build so I have come to accept there is going to be a learning curve with every new aspect of the build and trying to mix and spray custom paint like Manuel or Gil Ayala was probably a bridge too far. 🙂

Torchie I found some ribbed at Canal Rubber in New York that I think would work in white.

Easy Sweep | Round Rib |Vinyl Matting

But when I talked to the guy he said he can’t take Canadian credit cards due to needing to put a zip code in his machine to process. I have tried looking for the same product but no one else seems to have white. It must be out there as I find it hard to believe a company is only making it for one guy in New York but I can’t find it and/or people don’t get back to me when I inquire.

I have been contemplating doing a cover just not sure with the gas tank being in the bed if it would be a huge pain in the ass to access the tank every time I needed to fill and I would hate having it in short order.

So many question, so few answers LOL.

Torchie
    Participant

Ian.

If you haven’t already. Try this company.

Hecht Rubber Corporation.

(I would post a link but my computer is giving me fits today.)

I had the same thoughts as you about a box cover for my truck and figured that if I did I would put the filler in a place where all I had to do was to unfasten a corner of the cover.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks Torchie I will try them. I see on their eBay page that they don’t ship to Canada but I will try and get a hold of them and see. I have contacted two other manufacturers that show they have the ribbed white and one no longer produces it an the other has no distributors that carry it so I would have to buy a full roll of 105 ft. This seems to be pretty common with white that companies will only sell a full roll. I may end up with the pyramid style or black.

Torchie
    Participant

I saw as well that they don’t ship to Canada but thought that it might be worth a try to contact them.

What about doing the running boards in white tuck and roll or a pattern that matches your interior?

You could make them removeable with snaps like they used to do with inner fender wells that had tuck and roll.

Just throwing out ideas (That you have probably already thought of) but that may not be the look you are going for.

Perhaps some one you know from the US could get the stuff from Canal and ship it to you.

Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.