Custom Car Chronicle

My "37 Chevy truck build

Home Forums CCC Forum My "37 Chevy truck build

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

Some versions of “what do do” are about avoiding the glue grabbing and creating wrinkles that are impossible to smooth out. When the whole board and rubber are both covered in tacky glue, I can understand the nightmare. And my boards are big.

There is the school that says to do it in sections…glue a bit, firm that down, glue some more, firm that down and so on.

Another school says to glue only a 2 to 3 inch perimeterĀ  and let the middle ‘float.’

I’m scared!

Torchie
    Participant

Some versions of ā€œwhat do doā€ are about avoiding the glue grabbing and creating wrinkles that are impossible to smooth out. When the whole board and rubber are both covered in tacky glue, I can understand the nightmare. And my boards are big. There is the school that says to do it in sectionsā€¦glue a bit, firm that down, glue some more, firm that down and so on. Another school says to glue only a 2 to 3 inch perimeter and let the middle ā€˜float.ā€™ Iā€™m scared!

For what it’s worth..

Back when I could still kneel down we used Vinyl top glue. Very much like plain old contact cement.

We glued the entire cover. Not just around the edges. I see that as recipe for problems as every time some one steps on the cover and twists there foot to get in or out of the car it will cause that area to move.

After we glued it we went over it with a hand roller(Firmly but not pushing the cover around) to make sure there was full contact between the surfaces.

Doing itĀ  a section. at a time may work for Ian but the Moulded cover(Like a 36 Ford) would be a pain to do that way as you can’t really fold them back or roll them up to unroll like you were gluing down rolled flooring.

You Interior looks great,Ian.

I’m sure your running board covers will too.

Torchie

P.sĀ  Don’t over think this shit.

LOL I speak from a position of one who suffers from that. I’m still staring at the fresh planks on my boat project that cracked 2 weeks ago.Ā  And yes. The covers areĀ  best done with at least 2 people.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

It’s pretty hard to get anything other than regular contact cement up here unless you have a wholesale upholstery account. There are not even options as to what contact cement to buy as every retailer sells the exact same stuff right up to Amazon.Ā  You can sometimes get stuff through upholstery shops but they usually charge a fortune and only sell larger quantities like a gallon and up. I don’t really want to drop $100 on a gallon of glue to find out it doesn’t work. I am also worried about getting something that is too hot and having it bubble up the lacquer so like I said not sure what to do.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Iā€™m scared!

So am I Tony. So am I.

Torchie
    Participant

Iā€™m scared!

So am I Tony. So am I.

Itā€™s pretty hard to get anything other than regular contact cement up here unless you have a wholesale upholstery account. There are not even options as to what contact cement to buy as every retailer sells the exact same stuff right up to Amazon. You can sometimes get stuff through upholstery shops but they usually charge a fortune and only sell larger quantities like a gallon and up. I donā€™t really want to drop $100 on a gallon of glue to find out it doesnā€™t work. I am also worried about getting something that is too hot and having it bubble up the lacquer so like I said not sure what to do.

Ian. The vinyl roof glue we used was the same as we used in the Caddy dealership I painted cars at. It didn’t affect the Laquer. Plus.. With all the Voc issues I suspect the new stuff isn’t any where near as hot as the old stuff.

As I recall you shot as least one test panel so you can use that for glue reaction testing if you still have it.

I’ve been using a lot of #M 5200 on this boat bottom as that is the industry practice these days. I’m sure it would work but it has a very long cure time.

They make a fast cure that’s 4200 I believe and it should come in white.

I suspect one tube should serve your purpose. You may want to check it out.

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

So your boards are already painted? That was my next question, raw sanded metal or is epoxy primer okay?

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

So your boards are already painted? That was my next question, raw sanded metal or is epoxy primer okay?

Yes I painted them because I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to find anything I liked to use for covers so wanted to make sure I had an option to leave them if I didn’t find anything. I would never put them over unpainted metal even though I know it is recommended by some unless the adhesive I was using was designed to go over bare metal for outdoor use (had some proven corrosion resistance).

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well no turning back now. Going to be a long 8 hours to see if it worked or not.

20200709_131836

Tony
    Participant

Like watching the moon landing.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well it seems to have stuck. Long term, who knows? On to the passenger side

20200710_105435

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Love it.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

Hang on, wait until I get my sunglasses….Ah, very nice.

I hope you have clean feet!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Very nice indeed

Love it,

Mitchell

Torchie
    Participant

Looks great Ian.

What adhesive did you end up using???????

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Sorry Torchie it hasn’t been a great week as I have been fighting clutch issues all week. I used a windshield urethane but I am not sure it was the best choice. I have been having a few areas along the bent over edge lifting but have been fixing them with a two part urethane used for plastic repair that seems to be holding. I am not sure if it was my clamping technique originally or what. We will see.

Anyways after a week of major frustrations:

Video is kind of short because my wife was trying to make sure I didn’t hit anything and didn’t want to get too distracted by trying to film. Now I have to put a bunch of stuff back together that I had to take apart to get it to move. 3 steps back one forward. Sigh.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.