Custom Car Chronicle

My "37 Chevy truck build

Home Forums CCC Forum My "37 Chevy truck build

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 325 total)
  • Author

Thanks for the post Ian!  You had been going at it hard and fast, so the time since the last post had us on pins and needles..  I agree with Torchie on the steering wheel – looks right at home!  As for back issues, does it help to know a bunch of us can relate?  ..Sigh.

Keep on keepin’ on!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Shanahan
    Participant

Keep plugging away Ian! Every little thing, no matter how unexciting it may seem, is one step closer to cruisin. The steering wheel looks great, but what makes it even cooler is the nod to your dad.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That put a huge smile on my face to see some new updates on the ’37 Ian. I so much love the white details next to the lime gold paint. And that MG steering wheel and the tribute to your father is really great. I think it really fits the Custom well. Sorry for the late response… have been away for a bit.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys! Well the set backs continue. I got a new gasket for the water pump(last one NAPA had in Canada) drained the coolant, pulled the pump and replaced the gasket to find out the pump also seems to be leaking from the main shaft so I have to order a new pump now and do it all over again. I love building cars. LOL

Tony
    Participant

to find out the pump also seems to be leaking from the main shaft

Exactly! The pump on the engine I’m going to use is going to be changed before I run it for this same reason…I don’t trust things like that after they’ve been sitting a while (years.)

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well I have been fighting leaks in everything lately. Not sure what is going on. The water pump fought me like crazy, the rear differential cover, after being fine for 2 months, started leaking, I had a valve in the air bag system that was leaking (took me about a week to figure out it came without an internal spring installed) so my progress has been really set back and my motivation has as well. We also got our first snow fall a couple of weeks ago, it only stayed around for about a week but it means I have to start thinking about getting my garage ready for winter. 🙁

Anyways around all that I realized that when I changed my gas tank plans it meant there were some cutouts in the bed floor where the old mounts struck through that I would have to do something about. I thought about just replacing the boards with new ones but then I came up with the idea to make a kind of bumper in the bed to give a little bit of protection to the gas tank on the off chance I ever carry anything back there so I decided to design the mounts to cover the holes and make a nerf bar type deal.

I made a couple of stainless brackets that will cover the holes and will have a stainless round bar run between them and then routered out the bed floor so they will sit flush to the top of the bed. Here are the brackets (not finished polishing them after welding) and the modified floor board.

IMG_20180927_161227

20180927_161325

20180927_170831

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Oh and this showed up this week. 🙂

20180927_170351

Tony
    Participant

I have to start thinking about getting my garage ready for winter.

You speak a strange language.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Those brackets are really beautiful Ian…. and every time I see that lime color and white painted surface I cannot stop smiling.

Is that the rubber for the running boards?

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

HAHA Tony I wish I did. We had our longest winter on record last year and then half our summer was shot because we could barely go outside due to awful air quality from smoke blowing in from forest fires. Two snowfalls in September so far and way below seasonal temperatures does not make one very happy.

Thanks Rik. Yes it is the rubber for the running boards. Not quite what I was looking for but the ribbed stuff that was white ended up being pretty wide ribs that were really rounded not the thin ribbing like on the Porter truck so I didn’t want to risk it not working with all the hoops I would have had to get people to jump through to get it here. I was able to source this through a company in Canada which made it way easier. I think it will look pretty good.

Torchie
    Participant

September snowfalls are like your first girlfriend Ian. They usually don’t stick around….:)

Brackets and router job are beautiful! Want to come work on a boat…..LOL

I know it’s hard to settle for things when doing a build like this but I believe the white running board cover you have will look great. I learned a long time ago to never point out my disappointments  in my builds. That way everybody things that I planned it that way…….:)

Keep on keeping on brother.

Torchie

Glad you found a source for white rubber (as Torchie says don’t let on it wasn’t your first style choice)!  The gold and white are perfect choices for your truck – reminds me of the many models I built back in the day using Testors’ Lime Gold with white styrene accents..  It appears we will both have good long winters to work on projects!  Sigh..

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys! Well unfortunately progress has been slow lately. I have been in Halloween costume building mode and got talked into coaching my sons soccer team this winter so I haven’t had a lot of time to work on the truck but I did get the “bumper” finished up. It is certainly not perfect but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

20181013_151000

20181013_151009

20181013_153526

Nice!  That will do for when the swap meet parts start sliding around on that wood floor!  Ha, ha!  Great solution.

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Torchie
    Participant

Beautiful !!

Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.