Custom Car Chronicle

My "37 Chevy truck build

Home Forums CCC Forum My "37 Chevy truck build

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys! Progress has been slow as it is tradeshow season at work so I have been out of town quite a bit lately and then I had an oh shit moment. I knew I needed an access for the radiator fill in the top piece of the grill shell when I built it but I kind of put it off and then forgot about it so when I went to put it together I instantly remembered 🙁  so some modification were in order. Out of town again starting Sunday but after next week I should be able to get back on it a bit more.20171024_104755

Wait!  You only forgot ONE thing??  Bright side.. more paint experience!  You did mix extra, right?   😉

Ian, do your trade shows ever take you to Saskatoon?

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

HAHA I am not counting my chickens yet on forgetting things Dave. I didn’t mix any extra paint because it doesn’t keep once mixed. The gold powder oxidizes and turns green when added to the clear.  I do, however, have my mix amounts written on the wall in my garage. 🙂

Don’t get out there for trade shows but I do come out that way for work on a semi regular basis.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

This is kind of stepping outside the box of what I would normally do for this truck but my Dad built the hood hinges so I decided I would clean them up a bit more than I normally would. These needed to get done and installed before I could start loading stuff back under the dash as they mount from inside the cab.

Before:

20171105_092451

After: The paint looks a bit ratty n these pictures but I cleaned it up not that anyone will ever really see these.

20171105_093313

And winter arrived this week so my garage looks like this now. It does make it a bit more difficult to gt things done especially in the evenings when I usually try and work after my wife and son go to bed but it is what it is.

20171107_083622

Ian, winter is when we’re supposed to get to our projects!!   😉

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Torchie
    Participant

It’s coming together Ian…

Winter has hit here as well. My car sat out last night and I had to scrape off about 5 ” inches of snow and ice.

It was out because I am in the process of stuffing my next project into the back of the shop. Not exactly a custom car but possibly a custom boat. 🙂

This pic was taken about 300 miles south of me last week where things are still green.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

That is awesome Torchie! I sure hope Rik won’t mind you posting some progress shots on the CCC as I would love to watch that.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I think we all aim for the perfect speed-boat stance on a Custom Car…
    So paying some attention to where this obsession comes from is perfectly ok with me.
    So yes, please keep us posted Torchie.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Been a while but I have slowly been working on something that I have been trying to figure out what to do with for months. Most of the work involved has been trying to find supplies so not much to show. As some of you may know I wanted to add some sort of cover on my running boards to eliminate the smooth look. I was hoping to use a fine ribbed white rubber to make the covers like the Chuck Porter truck but finding white ribbed rubber matting has proven to be pretty much impossible unless I want to buy 75ft + of it which I don’t. I don’t want to spend the $700+ dollars to buy it either. I though about possibly doing the white pyramid style covers but didn’t really think they fit into the build as it seems to be more a boat thing. (kind of funny given Torchies boat post) In the end I decided to go with a find ribbed black so I ordered some from a local janitorial supply place. In the meantime I have bee patterning the running board for the cover. Not much for pictures but here is where I am at.

20171118_102318

I am trying to decide if I should run it under the fenders with the ribs cut off to act like a welting between the fenders and the running boards which is why I haven’t cut it out yet.

Torchie
    Participant

Sorry to hear that you couldn’t get the white Ian.

Just spit balling here but have you given any thought to painting the rubber white?

What with all the plastic bumper covers out there I would think that there may be a Paint product that would work.

I am sure that what ever you do it will work well with your very cool truck build.

Back out to the shop for me as I continue to remove the 2000 brass screws that hold on the bottom planking on that boat.

Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I have definitely contemplated it Torchie my fear is if it ever starts chipping off it will look like crap and as always seems to be the way some will chip off and some will be impossible to get off so I am not really sure I want to be messing with having to repaint them on a regular basis.

I got one of the covers cut out and laid on the running board. It will wrap around the edge (kind of did one end with the use of a piece of wood) but there will still be the painted bead part of the lower part of the running board showing below the matting in a side view. Any opinions would be appreciated before I move ahead I really don’t want the smooth look on the running boards (should have probably put bead in them when I built them but that ship has sailed) but not 100% convinced this is the way I should go or not. Oh and the reason the front is cut the way it is is the fender sits on top of that section and I plan to end the side wrap where the fender meets to running board. It makes more sense with the fender on.

20171119_105436 (1)

20171119_110013 (1)

20171119_110022

Torchie
    Participant

I understand your concern about the Paint chipping off.  But with todays adhesion promoters I think that it would work.

Are you planning on gluing these covers on?

I like the idea of the fender sitting on top of the rubber. It will give it a cleaner look.

And just to throw out yet another idea… What about using half round aluminum  boat rub rail for the ribs. Could be screwed on with stainless screws. You could also taper the ends for a finished look.

I guess I’m in a boating frame of mind. LOL

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ian, I believe the disappointment of not being able to have the white boards you had your heart set on will fade once you get behind the wheel and really begin to enjoy your ride.  It’s tough having to compromise your vision, but the black do look good – and black running boards are traditional too!  ;D

You could hold off on gluing ’til closer to spring..  You never know what option might turn up over the winter!

Looks good!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

My worry is I don’t really know what these are made of and they have quite a grease texture to them and I know from experience from work that those types of plastics are a nightmare to get things to stick to so I am a little tentitive about trying it. They will be glued down.

Thought about the metal strips as well Torchie, like they did on the Mulholland Roadster, but I felt it was a little to “high-end” for my build.

Thanks Dave. In all honesty I am not super bummed about the white and the reality is the only time I can think of it being used in the past was on Chuck’s truck so it’s not like it was a often used solution. My issue with holding off is they need to go on before any other work can be done on reassembling the body and I have contacted about 15 different rubber manufacturers and all have either discontinued white or it is a special order and has to be bought by the roll and none of them could point me to a reseller that would have it in stock so I am not holding my breath that something will turn up.

Torchie
    Participant

I understand your concern about the “Greasy” rubber Ian. So black it is….

And as far as I’m concerned. Your truck build is plenty “High End”……..:)

Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.