Custom Car Chronicle

Mild Mitch's 1941 Buick Sedanette Project

Home Forums CCC Forum Mild Mitch's 1941 Buick Sedanette Project

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Torchie
    Participant

Looks even better right side up, Mitch.LOL

I can’t say that I was thrilled with the profile of my aftermarket Dodge rocker skins. I used them as I don’t really have a way to bend up that long as a piece of metal. I’m going to end up doing both side so they will match and since it’s not a restoration….

Love the torched springs. I have to admit to doing that a few times myself though. Ah youth……

One of my favorite cars that I owned was a 50 Buick Sedanette. That straight 8 engine had no problem keeping up with traffic. Even with the “Kinda slo”- Dynaflow. Transmission.

Thanks for the updates, Mitch

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Thanks Torchie,

I have torched some coils too, but for others. And not quite this dramatic. But DAMN the Buick looked good with that stance! There was literally 1/2″ of travel before the frame hit the axle in back. Front wasn’t much better, maybe 3/4″ before bottoming out. But it looked Bitchin’ sitting that way.

But yes, youth, Bryce is an amazing guy. He is all grown up now. And still hot Roddin’ and Customizing. But I have a hard time thinking how rough this car must have ridden!

Mitch

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Well, it has been a while since I started this post about my Buick. My progress is just the opposite of Quentin’s on his Packard. Mine is nearly nothing. But here is a little bit of an update.

I had some bits plated probably a year ago and they have been packed away inside the car. So, I finally got things out and did a little bit the past few days. Hubcaps got the donor Buick rings mated to fasten them to the NOS Buick wheels I’d found. I polished and painted the the center caps and installed. Also, I thought I would show the Tail light/guards I have built for the rear bumper. Any guesses as to their origin? Sorry for the poor photos, to much reflection.

20200508_123700_resized.120200508_123735_resized20200508_172846_resized20200508_172937_resized20200508_172947_resized20200508_172957_resized20200508_173045_resized

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Beautiful work on the Bumper Guard Taillights. Not sure about the origin of those. I will have to compare… but no time right now. Those Hubcaps…. YES PLEASE!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Thanks Rik!

Tony
    Participant

Very attractive shiny stuff!

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Looks fantastic!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Happy to inspire you Mitch…. but it works both ways. Those are stunning parts. Those bumper lights!!!!

Jack Ripper
    Participant

Those bumper guards look like 41 buick to me. I used them to make my grill teeth. Only had five and needed eleven so I made a mold and did the rest in fiberglass. I’ve built street rods in the past but this was my first custom. Really enjoy the custom culture.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Torchie
    Participant

Beautiful, Mitch.

Quentin is putting all of us too shame.

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Thank you all for the kind words. And the inspiration. Just getting these parts out and do what little I did last week has me rejuvenated a bit on the Buick. It has been stagnant for too long.

The bumper guards are ’46-’48 Chevy actually. Whittled and cut to make them fit the original Buick bumper. The Lenses I made replicate the shape and curve of the guard originally.

I wanted to make these out of the ’41 Buick guards but they are very narrow. This just didn’t allow for a very good fit for the internals and wiring. The ’41 was one of the first to have integrated turn signal lamps as far as I have seen. Buick accomplished this with a separate lamp and circuit for the turn signal. I wanted to use a stock type wiring system so carried the 2 lamp set up into the guards as well. It’s crowded even in the wider Chevy units. I also wanted to avoid any LEDs. So these have brighter bulbs now. And the car is 12 volt. I also managed to meet California’s size regs. for the tail light lenses. Not that am worried about that issue, BUT don’t want to be rear ended by some soccer mom (or anyone else) that claims not to have seen the lights.

Mitch

Tony
    Participant

BUT don’t want to be rear ended by some soccer mom (or anyone else) that claims not to have seen the lights.

That is a legitimate concern. I will be fabbing a hidden as possible 3rd light in the parcel shelf for exactly the same reason.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Hey Tony,

I have considered that option too among others. I don’t like the thought of 3rd brake lights on our cars. But I have had enough close calls to realize the problem. I’ve also considered a strip light under the bumper. Perhaps a pull down arrangement or electric activated, etc.

This car is meant to be driven regularly so it is a concern.

Mitch

Quentin Hall
    Participant

As much as I also don’t like the idea of strip lights it’s better than $$$ and damage. I’m thinking of putting it in the rear window between the reveal molding so it’s hidden. A mate put some in the sides of his trunk gap on his 32 roadster and the seams light up when he touches the pedal and disappears when he takes his foot off.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.