Custom Car Chronicle

Mid 50's Chopped Customs

Home Forums CCC Forum Mid 50's Chopped Customs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

You don’t see to many mid ’50’s customs with chopped tops. Obvious reason is the wrap around windows that are hard to chop. But still they have been done in the 1950’s with deferent outcomes. Some looked great, others just did not work, had cracked windows, or even dividers to solve the problem of windshield that did not fit the cut down openings.
    Today we rarely see a nice chopped mid 1950’s customs.
    So it was a nice surprise to see this very nicely done 1956 Oldsmobile from Bruns Kustom City.
    I don’t think this shop actually chopped the car, but they sure took it into the right direction.

I really like the proportions on this one, all it needs is a nicely polished window trim…

Any more mid 1950’s chopped customs… then or now.

Photos from the Bruns Kustom City Facebook.

Before the hubcaps were added.

According their facebook page this is how they bought the car… already chopped.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Håkan Andersson
    Participant

Not a mid 50´s ,, but when we did a 60 cadillac a few years ago ,, we slanted the stock windshield into cut slots ,,worked just fine,, and rear glas slid upward roofline. some pics at hamb. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376233

My old 55 merc project from MANY years ago got a cut down windshield,, (that cracked,,and was supposed to be sent to Finland for manufacturing of a new),,and the rear “tucked” into the dropped area behind rearseat(name?) whole roof was dropped with that area. New talented owner dropped it one more inch at A posts,,and did it super NICE !

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Justin Kudolla
    Participant

The Oldsmobile looks like Mike Walsh’s old Oldsmobile. I’m sure it’s the same car, because Bruns Kustom City just finished (about a year ago) a Jesse Lopez-esque ’41 Ford with slide-out pillarless windows for Mike.

Attachments:

Trend Books Custom Cars Annuals
    www.trendcustomcars.com

Curt Iseli
    Participant

I think some of the customizers from the early days of the custom revival have done some nice ones. Although the paint is dated (not the color, but the extra “graphics”), Rick Dore’s ’57 Buick was really nice (and similar to the Olds above)

Likewise the ’56 Chrysler Zocchi had built and the ’57 Ford he did more recently were pretty well proportioned, too.

Attachments:
    Curt Iseli
    Participant

And of course D’Agostino’s Golden Star and Egyptian. There’s a nice looking chopped Merc in the background, too. Don’t know whose that is…

Attachments:
    Justin Kudolla
    Participant

Those mid 1950’s cars sure look nice chopped!  Does anyone have any more examples to share?

Trend Books Custom Cars Annuals
    www.trendcustomcars.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.