Custom Car Chronicle

Metalworking madman!

Home Forums CCC Forum Metalworking madman!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mark wojcik
    Participant

I just want to show off the skills of a good friend, who I have been helping learn the mysterious ways of metalworking. Kenny is modifying his car in my shop, and does the most amazing metal work  I’ve seen. You’ve seen his chopped 54 Plymouth at CCR, and other events here in the East, baby blue, with bare metal nose, roof, taillights.

Anyway, he decided that the 52 Packard grill in his car would so much better if it was widened, along with the grill opening. He purchased an extra grill, but it’s been difficult trying to find out the best way to weld the two together, being pot metal. Instead of spending so much time and effort experimenting, and practicing, he decided to make the new grill out of sheet metal, since he’s so familiar and proficient with it.  He’s stretching it so 2 more teeth can be added to it, around 4 in. IIRC. He’s using sandbag, English wheel, my Tinman planishing hammer, and Lancaster shrinker-stretcher to do the work. Check it out!

We’re going to fill any major imperfections with lead free solder, not that there will be many, then do the copper plate, sand, copper, and sand til perfect. Then have it chromed.

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Thats why we call him Mr. Tig

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

WOW… very impressive.

Please keep us posted.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Impressive work. Should we change the heading to “Metalworking Madmen” and open it up to show what every one is doing?  Those complex concave and convex shapes are very tricky and show great skill. Actually this is a great thread idea. I’m working on a Jensen at the moment and as you can see it is a sheet metal workers origami dream ….. or nightmare.

Torchie
    Participant

Both are very impressive!

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

YES!!!

M

KingKustoms
    Participant

Great thread! Let’s see some metalworking talent 🙂

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

David Wolk
    Participant

Nice work, keep them coming!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Don’t mean to hog the limelight but I’m pretty pleased with the progress I’m making on the Jensen FF. I know it’s not a custom but it is a Vignale Italian bodied prototype that sadly was neglected in a very damp environment.  They rust at the best of times but this was something else.  The challenge is to reproduce the body substructure with all the differences of the prototype to the regular series production cars. I have to be accurate to very close tolerances ( despite some rather casual Italian assembly). It’s a relief that it is starting to look like a car again. It was a bit scary for a while.

Tony
    Participant

Man what a job!

I hope the customer appreciates that not many people can do what you’re doing.

BTW if you don’t come around, you won’t get your present (and it has nothing to do with blonde women)

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I’m in Perth Tony. …. but I think about coming to visit you every night!

Where was I ? Check out this superb work. Just found it last night on Facebook, checkout the page . Wow!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/TinElementLLC/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.