Custom Car Chronicle

Mercurys at 2015 Pebble Beach Concours

Home Forums CCC Forum Mercurys at 2015 Pebble Beach Concours

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Tinwolf
    Participant

Wow , top of the line traditional customized Merc icons together with the coachbuilts Duesenbergs , see them at the podium , it starts about 2hours 36 minutes into this youtube flick:

Wolf

They don’t look at all out of place among the other exotics and classics do they? Thanks for the posting and thanks too to those who were there and took the pictures. Man – my bucket list is getting loooong!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

KingKustoms
    Participant

This was an incredible experience for me- my first chance to attend Pebble Beach could not have taken place with a better assortment of cars with the custom Mercs on the green. I want to thank my friend Bill Worden, owner of the Ralph Testa Mercury, for inviting me to this wonderful event. Seeing all of these historic custom Mercuries together is a wonderful scene, but the addition of the Pebble Beach Concours setting really adds a level of excitement. As Dave mentioned above, none of these customs looked out of place among the other cars on display. I have always seen a strong similarity in a coach-built car and custom car…all of the Darrin Packards and original Duesenbergs started with a cowl and front sheetmetal, then went on to receive their own individually designed custom body. Although these Mercury customs are modified production cars, the levels of craftsmanship and creativity as pieces of automotive art remain the same.

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Quentin Hall
    Participant

To me, motor vehicles represent the greatest art of the 20th C . Inevitably art becomes a commodity. Nevertheless it is wonderful to see these customs getting their due recognition. Personally I don’t like the idea of judging in any arena. To have recognition from your peers of the achievement is probably enough. The tradition has been passed down to us now. Maybe in years to come “our” art will be looked on with the same reverence. . . In the meantime we’ve just gotta keep banging and welding. . . . One eye on the past but the other on the future.

mark wojcik
    Participant

It is so satisfying to have the Concours Automobile community finally recognize the importance of the custom car in Automotive History. And to recognize the innovative people, and their talents in creating these gems. I truly wish I could have been there!
    Though it was no where near as impressive as Pebble Beach, the Kopper Kart team was honored to be invited to the Fairfield Connecticut Concours show, back in 2009. No judging, just for exhibition. You can see Ray Soff’s “Connecticut Yankee” shoebox, and the “Blue Moon” Mercury behind it. John Pazsik’s 54 Merc, and Lou Callisibetta also attended.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Totally agree Mark… these historic Customs belong at the Concourse events. They fit in very well and as we could see at the Pebble Beach event, the audience loved them. All the photos I have seen the Mercury’s where surrounded by people. The Kopper Kart looks right at place there…

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

KingKustoms
    Participant

Just wanted to bring this post back to the top and have everyone keep Bill Worden in your thoughts and prayers as he recuperates from heart surgery last week. I still think quite often about this incredible Pebble Beach trip that was only possible to attend because of my friend Bill. Get well soon, Mr. Worden!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Bill Worden.  Hoping for a speedy recovery.  Custom folk are family!

bob tindale
    Participant

Best wishes to Bill.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.