Custom Car Chronicle

Mercury TopChop blues

Home Forums CCC Forum Mercury TopChop blues

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    1952B3b23

Great job. Those little details sure do take a lot of time and patience but they’re worth it!

-Chris

"The devils in the details"

David
    Participant

Excellent job! I sure appreciate and enjoy the detail shots. I sure lack the skill level you have, but I do enjoy seeing how folks do stuff. šŸ™‚

Amazing Kennethā€¦ like it was stamped from a single piece of metal.

Super job!

Great job. Those little details sure do take a lot of time and patience but theyā€™re worth it!

-Chris

Excellent job! I sure appreciate and enjoy the detail shots. I sure lack the skill level you have, but I do enjoy seeing how folks do stuff. :)

Thanks a lot guys.

This one have been in the back ground for a while due to some other projects so I think itĀ“s time to bring it up again. Made a test for the stainless quarter window frame.Have been thinking on how to reshape it for a while and decided to make a try with one of the extra frames and to my surprice it was very easy to bend and shape it whithout heating it first.Had to take it slowly bit by bit but the u-chanel kept its shape really well with only some minor warping in the rear corner but it was easy to tap it back in shape by putting a flatbar in the u and tap it down with a small hammer.Now this is only a test part and not really finnished but now I know it works to make it this way for the real ones.

Well I think itĀ“s time to bring this up again. For the trim around the side windows I will try to use a D-shaped stainless bar instead of the originals. A lot of guys are using brass bars but I think stainless will be easier to work with and they can be polished to final finish instead of sending them away for chrome plating.Started with driver side quarterwindow.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Yeah… and update on the Merc project.

That trim piece looks amazing. Is the backside of this trim piece completely flat?

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

YouĀ“re right Rik. ItĀ“s all flat on the backside. This bar measures 12mm wide and 6mm high or in inch it will be 1/2″ wide and 1/4″ high.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Wow… Pretty impressive

Thanks Jeff.

KingKustoms
    Participant

Looks fantastic! Can I ask what the D shaped stainless bar costs over there? Half-round brass here is expensive, plus chroming it, so I usually end of chopping down the original stainless then have it chromed, but it ends up being costly and risky depending on how good your chrome guy is. I’ve had good luck with Buena Park Chrome, but a few pieces are not entirely perfect. I really think the D shaped stainless will make this A LOT easier!

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

KingKustoms
    Participant

Made some progress again today. Driverside quarter window garnish mold is grinded and smoothed. Still need polishing before plating but itĀ“s getting there.And then of course the stainless window frame is not done yet so thereĀ“s still a lot of work to do before itĀ“s done.

I am finally able to catch up on your progress at home since my work computer blocks picture (torture!)

These window frames are a work of art!!! There is no easy way to do them and your talent and efforts just took chopped garnish moldings to a whole new level…amazing work.

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Thank you very much Rob. Think I saved time by make new corners for the garnish instead of pie cutting, welding and grinding.
    About the stainless bars they where really cheap.I have a good contact at my steel supplier so I payed just over $100 for 40 feet of bars.

Torchie
    Participant

Looking great Kenneth!
    Torchie

KingKustoms
    Participant

Thank you very much Rob. Think I saved time by make new corners for the garnish instead of pie cutting, welding and grinding.
    About the stainless bars they where really cheap.I have a good contact at my steel supplier so I payed just over $100 for 40 feet of bars.

Wow, that’s a good price. I’ll have to hunt for it here so I can experiment with it. Are you going to drill and tap the backside for mounting?

Robert A. Radcliffe III
    King Kustoms

Looking great Kenneth!
    Torchie

Thanks Torchie

About the stainless bars they were really cheap.I have a good contact at my steel supplier so I payed just over $100 for 40 feet of bars.

Wow, thatā€™s a good price. Iā€™ll have to hunt for it here so I can experiment with it. Are you going to drill and tap the backside for mounting?

I thought so too. At that price itĀ“s worth experiment a bit. Yes IĀ“m going to drill and tap them, serching for small enough screws at the moment.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Great work! I really like the stainless trim idea nice alternative to having stuff chromed if you can find the raw material.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.