Custom Car Chronicle

making teardrop skirts

Home Forums CCC Forum making teardrop skirts

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Thought I’d make up a pair of teardrop skirts. I cut out a template out of flooring vinyl. I like it cos it is cheap and holds some shape and you can keep the templates for nxt time. After a couple of different tapers I got the shape that I think I like. So next is to cut out some 1.2 zincanneal that I like using cos it doesn’tt rust,welds well and holds it’s shape . Folded the lower edge over a round edged bench with a rubber mallet. I ran it thru the English wheel but only on the middle so the the middle would rise up in a convex shape. A bit of a shrink on the lower edge and then rolled the perimeter over just by hand with folding pliers. Gently as you go so a not to scar metal.
    After the edge was rolled over I again ran it thru the wheel back and forth to bulge out the middle and tighten up the edges. 2hrs and that’s one aside nearly ok. Tomorrow I will get the inner brackets folded up.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Looks good Quentin.

Nice job Quentin.Think you hit the shape perfectly,flows nice with the fender.

Keith Daleen
    Participant

That came out great. Thanks for sharing.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

A little bit of a play this afternoon. Folded up a top hat section. This needs to lay quite flat so the hubcap doesn’t hit. So it is only a10mm step. I put the safety edge there to give a bit more stiffness and it is solid as a rock. Banged the top hat onto a curve to follow the spat. Ps here in Australia we call them spats. Tomorrow i will find some 30×3 flatbar to make the locking handle. Got some somewhere???

Attachments:
    PalleJ
    Participant

nice work Quentin…

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Hey Bert, any chance you could take a pic of the lower locking bracerbrackets that hold it in place. I have looked at my 53 ones and kind of have an idea. I guess i could just have wing nuts pointing upwards…. But rather a little less agricultural.

Tony
    Participant

…and you can do mine when you’ve worked it out!

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Not sure I fully understand what a “bracerbracket” is but this is what the backside looks like. These are aftermarket I bought many years ago and I belive I peeled off some made in Taiwan stickers, just so you know what you are doing backwards engineering on.
    Hope this helps.

ab

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Thanks Bert, Sorry I meant the lower brackets. I think the lower front has a bracket on the fender as well? Here is a pic of my mates V16. My car donated some of our it’s bits to this.

Attachments:
    Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Ok, sorry for being stupid. Here is the lower bracket, the round bar was added by me. However, I think the second pic shows a better benchmark. That is factory, very straight forward, front and rear have same design, doesn’t need any brackets on the fender and best of all, it is adjustable. By the way, your friends Cadillac is awesome.

Tony
    Participant

Thanks for the pics. I have original skirts, but they have all the brackets etc. missing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.